New member seeking advice, players & events in the midlands

K12K13

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

My name is Sam Im 21 years old and from Leicester.

Im extremely keen on getting into the Airsoft sport and have been seeking a reputable forum to gain valuable advice from experienced players on how to get started.

My knowledge is very basic surrounding the sport other than knowledge gained through reading various blogs and pages from the internet, It would be highly appreciated if anyone could give me any tips or able to point me in the right direction to getting started.

Thanks

Sam

Check out the "New Player Guides & Info" and "New and Looking for Somewhere to Play" stickies in this sub-forum. There's a tonne of info on there; probably will answer any questions you have.

Make sure you read up on UKARA & VCRA (UK Law subforum).

Best bet is to find your local site and rent for a few games there. It's more expensive than walk-on; but it will give you a chance to get UKARA.

While your there, chat to the guys in the SafeZone. Most of us are nice people who are more than happy to show off our kit. Have a handle of their guns and find what you are comfortable with. There's no "best gun", only a "gun that's best for you".

Decent boots and Eye Protection are just as important (if not more) than your first gun. Avoid playing in trainers it you can - you'll slip in woodland, or slip on the spent BBs in CQB.

For eye pro, personally id stick with a reputed brand & retailer - some of the cheap ones on EBay can't be guaranteed to keep you safe. Remember; You only get one set of eyes. Don't e the "it'll never happen to me!" guy.

If you can't find the info you need on here - just ask. Someone on here can answer near enough anything.

Lastly, enjoy 😃

Where abouts are you based? It could be a good idea to get to know (on here) some regulars at your local site - so you know someone on site when you first walk on. It can be a bit daunting being the new guy in a group of Veterans :-)

P.S. Welcome :-)

Check out the "New Player Guides & Info" and "New and Looking for Somewhere to Play" stickies in this sub-forum. There's a tonne of info on there; probably will answer any questions you have.

Make sure you read up on UKARA & VCRA (UK Law subforum).

Best bet is to find your local site and rent for a few games there. It's more expensive than walk-on; but it will give you a chance to get UKARA.

While your there, chat to the guys in the SafeZone. Most of us are nice people who are more than happy to show off our kit. Have a handle of their guns and find what you are comfortable with. There's no "best gun", only a "gun that's best for you".

Decent boots and Eye Protection are just as important (if not more) than your first gun. Avoid playing in trainers it you can - you'll slip in woodland, or slip on the spent BBs in CQB.

For eye pro, personally id stick with a reputed brand & retailer - some of the cheap ones on EBay can't be guaranteed to keep you safe. Remember; You only get one set of eyes. Don't e the "it'll never happen to me!" guy.

If you can't find the info you need on here - just ask. Someone on here can answer near enough anything.

Lastly, enjoy

Where abouts are you based? It could be a good idea to get to know (on here) some regulars at your local site - so you know someone on site when you first walk on. It can be a bit daunting being the new guy in a group of Veterans :-)

P.S. Welcome :-)

Thanks alot for the speedy reply and the advice. i'll be sure to take a read through the sub forums now and see if my questions can be answered through those.

I have been looking at equipment and guns already but i will definitely hire for a few games before jumping into any purchases.

I live in a little town called Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire, East Midlands.

It would be great to chat to a few local players going to events near me, as you say it would be daunting attending on my own first time round although im certainly not afraid to do so and get stuck in.

Thanks again.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Find a local site, rent a gun and try it out. The sooner you start the better, that way if you want to get site membership and a valid defence for a realistic imitation firearm (RIF) you have not wasted time thinking about it.

Best advice would be to read all our sticky posts at the top of each section. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience there.

New Player Guides & Info http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/12854-new-player-guides-info/

Beginners Guide to Airsoft http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/3779-the-beginners-guide-to-airsoft/

It might be worthwhile editing the title to something along the lines of "New Player in Leicestershire..." to catch the attention of your local players. I'm not familiar with your neck of the woods, so I can't advise on sites etc at all ok afraid.

With Kit atleast, I recommend to buy cheap and upgrade/replace when it's needed. I'm still playing in the £15 Assault Vest I bought when I first started. Bought it cheap and loved it all along.

Tried several different types of Chest Rig/LBV/Plate Carrier etc, but never got on with them.

Thank you all for the advice, highly appreciated.

I have found the above sub forums extremely helpful and they have only made me more keen to get the ball rolling.

Unfortunately i don't have a clue how to change the topic title lol, but where would you recommend i post to find other players in my area?

It might be worthwhile editing the title to something along the lines of "New Player in Leicestershire..." to catch the attention of your local players. I'm not familiar with your neck of the woods, so I can't advise on sites etc at all ok afraid.

With Kit atleast, I recommend to buy cheap and upgrade/replace when it's needed. I'm still playing in the £15 Assault Vest I bought when I first started. Bought it cheap and loved it all along.

Tried several different types of Chest Rig/LBV/Plate Carrier etc, but never got on with them.

Yes and no. The cheap brands are very well spread from useless (note context for useless = as compared to real kit) to surpassing the bottom of real steel. Don't buy condor/viper (unless the others don't make the item) - or anything from a retailer that started out in airsoft.

One thing that really bugs me is the prices on flyye, pantac and others in the UK being so marked up against condor/viper, yet in asia they're all priced the same for import.

Thank you all for the advice, highly appreciated.

I have found the above sub forums extremely helpful and they have only made me more keen to get the ball rolling.

Unfortunately i don't have a clue how to change the topic title lol, but where would you recommend i post to find other players in my area?

All caps topic mirroring the name of the forum. :D Click use full editor while editing the first post.

Yes and no. The cheap brands are very well spread from useless (note context for useless = as compared to real kit) to surpassing the bottom of real steel. Don't buy condor/viper (unless the others don't make the item) - or anything from a retailer that started out in airsoft.

One thing that really bugs me is the prices on flyye, pantac and others in the UK being so marked up against condor/viper, yet in asia they're all priced the same for import.

All caps topic mirroring the name of the forum. :D Click use full editor while editing the first post.

Sorry for the full caps :rolleyes::D thanks i've managed to change the topic now.

It might be worth a trip along to the Midlands Airsoft Fair next month near Rutland Water. It's held at a CQB site, there'll be plenty of retailers and people selling second hand kit to get you started. There are free games running throughout the day too. There'll be plenty of people from your area there :)

http://www.midlandsairsoftfair.co.uk/

Good advice above :) I'd recommend finding a local site you like the look of, booking rental kit and turn up and play. See what kit everyone else wears/carries and decide what you like. Most people will be only too happy to tell you all about their kit and load out if you ask!

Thanks again i think thats what im going to do, i have been looking at local sites in Leicester, Nottingham and Wolverhampton. it would be nice to speak to a few players that attend any of those sites so as that im not turning up not knowing a sole :lol:

thats ok then because i fall into the second category lol

• Supporters

You're not all that far from MAW in Melton Mowbray

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a little town called Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire, East Midlands.

It would be great to chat to a few local players going to events near me, as you say it would be daunting attending on my own first time round although im certainly not afraid to do so and get stuck in.

Thanks again.

Hey Sam, I live near Swadlincote so not too far from you. If you ever want people to play with me and my brother happily will, we're constantly going to new sites but mainly play at West Midlands airsoft near Stoke. MAW is on the list.

All I can say is that everyone at airsoft games are friendly and accomodating, I've met loads of people through it.

Drop me a PM and we can arrange something :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a local player (Loughborough) I can whole heartedly recommend The Gaol in Oakham and MAW in Melton Mowbray. Cracking sites and on completely different ends of the game site spectrum with The Gaol being CQB and MAW being woodland.

I tend to play more at The Gaol - mostly their Wednesday night games due to work - but hit me up with a message if you're heading down.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.