working NVG for milsim weekend

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

Iv been invited to a milsim weekend where night time battles will be organised. Just wondered what people here use and what sort of money I should be looking to spend on usable working NVG's ?

Iv had a quick Google search and found pulsar challengers for around £260 but don't want to waste that sort of change if they not upto much.

Any advice always mucho appreciated.

Xx

• Supporters

For usable NVGs... honestly you're looking at dropping a LOT of money.

I've been down the gen1 route and they're near useless, even with quite high power IR illumination the range on them is iffy. Because of the illumination things in the foreground end up a LOT brighter than anything behind them.

The fish-eye effect on all of the gen1 sets I've ever used has been really bad too, to solve that problem you need to either go digital, gen2 or better.

My advice to anyone that can't afford/justify the cost of gen3 night vision is to buy a really good torch instead, 500lumens of surefire will seriously give you much more of an advantage than a gen1 night vision monocular.

Guys, how do you choose torches for airsoft? Is it the case that the brighter and longer beam distance, the better?

It depends what you want. Some people like a very tight beam that is very bright as it lights the best and disrupts vision more. However if you generally trying to get around you want a torch that is wide and even. I have seen a few guys in the US milsims using 2 torchs for this reason, both attached to the gun. I personally solve the problem with a mid beam torch that is crazy powerful instead, like 800 lumens. But what you want depends on the terrain and how you use it.

• Head Moderator

I have seen a few guys in the US milsims using 2 torchs for this reason, both attached to the gun. I personally solve the problem with a mid beam torch that is crazy powerful instead, like 800 lumens.

I had two gun mounted tac lights for my last visit to The Mall. One 200 lumen light with tailswitch that I used for navigation in the basement, just a quick flash to check my footing, and then a brighter 600 lumen light with strobe for illuminating a corridor or room. Worked well, using the brighter light when the other team knew where we were, i.e. exchanging shots, or to dazzle when moving. The lumen rating is just base on the two cheap lights I was using. My Fenix PD35 torch has a range of 5 levels between 50 and 950 lumen plus strobe.

I had two gun mounted tac lights for my last visit to The Mall. One 200 lumen light with tailswitch that I used for navigation in the basement, just a quick flash to check my footing, and then a brighter 600 lumen light with strobe for illuminating a corridor or room. Worked well, using the brighter light when the other team knew where we were, i.e. exchanging shots, or to dazzle when moving. The lumen rating is just base on the two cheap lights I was using. My Fenix PD35 torch has a range of 5 levels between 50 and 950 lumen plus strobe.

Do you use remote pressure for one or both of the tac lights?

• Head Moderator

Do you use remote pressure for one or both of the tac lights?

I only have the remote pressure switch on the 200 lumen light because the other one is a short light which can go on rifle or pistol but has no tailcap fitting http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G02-600LM-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Tactical-Gun-Pistol-Handgun-Lamp-N7JG-/361104194318?hash=item54137cbb0e

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.