First Game Prep. What to Take?

Verz

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I'll be booking myself in for a game on Saturday at Matlock Combat Games. The thing is, as my friends don't seem so interested, I'll be going alone. So, a few nerves are setting in.

What should I take on my first ever skirmish?

I have a good set of multi cam boots, but no camo clothing that will be of use. As the trousers I do have are pretty much ruined as I use them for work.

Other than that I have your standard denim jeans and general casual clothing that I could wear. But I'm concerned about standing out in the woodland.

Hats? A black beanie type.

Or...should I first invest in some decent clothing and put off the first run for another fortnight?

I just want to get there and have a go really and see if it scratches my hobbyist itch.

Oh...yes, I'll be using hire gear on arrival.

Kind Regards!

Its surprising how a stationary coloured object is not noticed as quickly as a camouflaged moving object is a woodland environment. Dont worry about what you wear, plenty of time for that when you get bitten by the bug, just have fun!

For your first run out, "casual" gear will be fine. The only problem with jeans is that if you get wet, they'll take all day to dry - and be very uncomfortable to play in.

If you've got something lightweight to stick over the top - or waterproofs to keep in your bag - it's a good idea (I never play without a set of Goretex in my boot - I don't like being soggy and miserable).

Hats aren't essential, but a beanie will do fine if you need it.

Gloves are a good buy. Nothing fancy - I wear cheap Mountain Biking Gloves from Halfords. But a shot to the fingertip or knuckle will sting like a f####r, so something is better than nothing.

Once you've had a couple of games you'll get a feel for your play style.

Get yourself a nice gun you like and a decent set of eye/face pro first.

There's a huge variety of camo and kit out there - so spend some time having a look around for what you like.

For the most part, camo isn't that effective at airsoft. IMHO, it's just to complete the look and feel of it. I wear the cheapest DPM I can find - quick drying, very comfortable, cheap to replace.

Best bit of advice though...it's a game, enjoy it your way.

Hey guys,

I'll be booking myself in for a game on Saturday at Matlock Combat Games. The thing is, as my friends don't seem so interested, I'll be going alone. So, a few nerves are setting in.

I have a good set of multi cam boots, but no camo clothing that will be of use. As the trousers I do have are pretty much ruined as I use them for work.

Other than that I have your standard denim jeans and general casual clothing that I could wear. But I'm concerned about standing out in the woodland.

Or...should I first invest in some decent clothing and put off the first run for another fortnight?

I just want to get there and have a go really and see if it scratches my hobbyist itch.

Kind Regards!

First of all, welcome to the airsoft community!

I'm glad to hear that you have a decent pair of boots - that's something I'd class as "essential"!

As for the jeans, it's entirely up to you, I wouldn't worry too much about standing out on your first time, especially if you don't know the area you're going to be playing in.

I'd prefer a pair of adidas/nike type tracksuit bottoms myself, just for comfort, but it's simply preference.

If you're in the Derbyshire area, it would be cool if you'd join us for a shoot at black hills (PM me if you're interested for more info). I'm a regular there, and it's very very "new player"-friendly.

Good luck with your first shoot, don't over think anything until you've experienced it first hand :)

Thanks for all the input folks.

I have gloves and actually thought about using my motorcycle trousers. They're black textile with protective pads. Waterproof and very comfortable/durable.

I will also be taking water and snacks. Lunch is included in the fee.

Thanks again for your comments. Looking forward to it :)

Hey guys,

Kind Regards!

Hi Mate

look for a guy who is in a Ford S-max people carrier & has two short arse kids with him. that will be me, come and say hi & I will introduce you around. its a friendly site and everyone is always welcoming towards noobs. Its always better to have a few contacts so it doesn't feel so intimidating. I will have "Fumps" on a few patches on my kit so don't be shy.

The site has a basic shop so water, pop and chocolate bars are pretty cheap & you will get dinner as part of the cost of play which is usually something like a burger.

If you need to ask anything about the site etc just ask mate, I go pretty much every month so I should be able to help in one way or another. if I can help in anyway just get in touch

By the way welcome to airsoft.

jeans are not the best thing to wear I found as they can restrict you're movement but as its youre first time wear them and if you like it get some proper kit. Im off to get kit on Sunday as im playing on Sunday and the list is over £400 already lol.

• Moderators

As above, have a few games and see how you go and have fun and take your hits😊, just remember to use your bbs up and not take a few thousand home with you!!!

I still wear army surplus DPM camo trousers that cost £10, ubacs from E-bay that was £20. for your first set up I dont see the point in paying more than that. I still have not replaced my kit simply because it works.

Hi Mate

look for a guy who is in a Ford S-max people carrier & has two short arse kids with him. that will be me, come and say hi & I will introduce you around. its a friendly site and everyone is always welcoming towards noobs. Its always better to have a few contacts so it doesn't feel so intimidating. I will have "Fumps" on a few patches on my kit so don't be shy.

The site has a basic shop so water, pop and chocolate bars are pretty cheap & you will get dinner as part of the cost of play which is usually something like a burger.

If you need to ask anything about the site etc just ask mate, I go pretty much every month so I should be able to help in one way or another. if I can help in anyway just get in touch

By the way welcome to airsoft.

Oh nice. I'll look out for you if you're going on Saturday. I'll be on a 650cc Suzuki Bandit. I'll be sure to introduce myself. Thanks for the welcome!!

Really, thanks for all your info guys. Very welcoming of you all!!

Oh nice. I'll look out for you if you're going on Saturday. I'll be on a 650cc Suzuki Bandit. I'll be sure to introduce myself. Thanks for the welcome!!

Really, thanks for all your info guys. Very welcoming of you all!!

Will look out for you mate.

I'll be more than likely wearing a filthy black beanie cap and being old about the place lol. Just look out for two young lads who will be with me one in British DPM and the other in black from head to foot. they are little short arse kids, one of them is my offspring who everyone calls Ewok.

I'm usually hanging around the car fixing the kids stuff or near the shed in the corner of the safe zone giving & receiving abuse from John/Hodor the shop owner.

Will look out for you mate.

I'll be more than likely wearing a filthy black beanie cap and being old about the place lol. Just look out for two young lads who will be with me one in British DPM and the other in black from head to foot. they are little short arse kids, one of them is my offspring who everyone calls Ewok.

I'm usually hanging around the car fixing the kids stuff or near the shed in the corner of the safe zone giving & receiving abuse from John/Hodor the shop owner.

Ha, ok nice. I'll look out for you. Looking forward to it :)

Ha, ok nice. I'll look out for you. Looking forward to it :)

I've been looking forward to this for a few days now. Fingers crossed for a dry one

For my first game I used

Jeans , t shirt and hoody

Timberland boots ( which I still use now )

The only thing I wish I had was gloves

Dress comfy and just enjoy the experience

• Supporters

The beanies will be too hot thus causing fogging. Baseball cap is enough.

On the same note, dress lighter than you would normally. You will run around and you will sweat much if you don't. Wear an extra layer for briefing / breaks if it's outside.

Good job having the boots already. They're essential.

Have fun.

I wore a pair of Timberlands which probably wasn't the best move seeings I broke my ankle in 4 places years ago so needs support. My feet and ankles were aching bad for a few days. Getting proper boots on Saturday.

Plenty of electrolytes, warm clothing and even a change of clothing.

Cash.

Hat, gloves and scarf in plain colours.

If you catch the bug, explore a decent surplus shop and run free!

Ok,

I'm about sorted guys. Thanks so much for your info, advice and help. I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the beanie for now, as the baseball cap I do have is bright blue and quite a sought after piece of clothing due to where it's from. I don't wish to ruin it.

My grey hoodie and brown faux leather jacket, and some jeans (not fussed if they get ruined, they're old anyway).

If the bug does bite (it sort of already has through watching vids and reading up some) I'm sure I will be putting more into gear.

Many, many thanks for opting in here to help a fellow newbie. I really appreciate the welcome!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.