I think I'm a sniper?

RILiON

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok so before I start I want to establish that no I am not new to airsoft and no I'm not 14 and no I haven't just finished watching American sniper. So on to what I'm here for. I'm really liking the idea of sniper gameplay. it seems to suit my style of hanging back a little to see what happens and always trying to out think enemies. I don't want to just jump right in and buy a sniper rifle a gillie suit and hate it after a game or 2 so my question is, has anyone made this transition slowly? My AEG is a dmr style rifle but staying under 350 as a normal AEG, today I was at a surplus and bought some scrim net and a new hat and 1 bored hour later id stitched a pretty usable gillie hood, so the plan is next game get down and dirty and start hunting with my AEG and see what results I get and how I like it with always the opportunity of pulling the hood off and going full auto. Many of you tried this play style? Just looking for a little feed back.

if your AEG is not up to the job it'll make life hard for you. I have a couple of fully upgraded snipers, a DMR with another on the way and 2 AEGs, each have a place in my game styles. If you have decent accuracy and range from a 350 AEG then you can have a lot of fun getting sneaky, I ran my VSR at 350FPS for ages (it was fully upgraded but just had a softer spring to keep the 350, meant I had fantastic accuracy and no MED :-)

• Supporters

You Sir are doing it the right way. :)

I did the transition slowly. My AEG is sub 350 but can't shoot in full auto. It's not intentional, it just doesn't feed and because I never needed it, I don't fix it. But it's very-very accurate compared to the AEGs people use. Sniping with that is easy. Sometimes the noise gives away my position but the firepower compensates for that. So if the game style is not very suitable for my bolties I use that with sniper mentality.

I also made a ghillied hat that covered my shoulders too, but since I switched to leaf suit, I never looked back. Leaf suit is just awesome. I got mine from aliexpress for cheap. Get a green one for the UK. They only had brown-green when I ordered and I spray painted it more green. You can attach loops on it with glue gun to add natural vegetation or jute.

I prefer to use my sub 350 boltie. No MED is great and it's very silent. But if there are bigger open spaces I bring the meaner one.

Sniping is not about the gun. It's a playstyle. Yes, it's done best with a bolt action rifle but 90% of it can be learned with an AEG too.

Sounds like a good way for going about it. I think I've accidentally become a sniper by getting my last rifle; picked up the upgraded version of a G&G M14, didn't realise it was upgraded because it was a DMR setup, and was firing 450 FPS out of the box. Now I'm playing with a MED, but the thing shoots like a laser, and not having to work a bolt every shot means I can still get stuck in with the AEG guys, just focusing on the long range targets while they take on the guys up close. Which I suppose is the whole point of a DMR. Anyway, that's my idea of a slow transition, if I ever was to pick up a bolt action. I can't imagine I will though. DMRs are far too much fun!

On a side note, it bothers me that people think Snipers and Gillie suits come as a package.

By all means wear a gillie suit & hood - they're sick! Just don't assume you need a sniper to go with the gillie!

They're just as effective at making you look like a semi-stationary bush whether you're holding a pistol, AEG, bolt action rife or DMR!

I always consider that if you're far enough to warrant using a sniper rifle, you're probably too far away to warrant camouflage that blends you into the background perfectly... surely it makes more sense that better camo is required the closer you are!

Rant over, GL with your sniping though, it's great fun!

On a side note, it bothers me that people think Snipers and Gillie suits come as a package.

By all means wear a gillie suit & hood - they're sick! Just don't assume you need a sniper to go with the gillie!

They're just as effective at making you look like a semi-stationary bush whether you're holding a pistol, AEG, bolt action rife or DMR!

I always consider that if you're far enough to warrant using a sniper rifle, you're probably too far away to warrant camouflage that blends you into the background perfectly... surely it makes more sense that better camo is required the closer you are!

Rant over, GL with your sniping though, it's great fun!

I'm glad u posted that as it's what I was thinking when I was making the hood. Surely being able to lay in the bushes and have my head and shoulder concealed so I'm harder to see from enemies face on is an advantage no matter the weapon. I've just never seen anyone else do it before. I can't wait to get out and try it

• Supporters

It's a valid point but I always found that ghillie suits are a pain in the arse to move around in undergrowth so unless you have a role that suits being stationary for a while (like being a sniper) they're probably not worth the hassle.

It's a valid point but I always found that ghillie suits are a pain in the arse to move around in undergrowth so unless you have a role that suits being stationary for a while (like being a sniper) they're probably not worth the hassle.

This.

I snipe a lot, but the ghillie only comes out for milsims or similar games where I'm playing that role. Most of the time regular camo combined with a well made ghillie hood is enough to break up your head/shoulder outline yet provide adequate cover. So long as you use a camo that somewhat matches your environment - anyone who uses "urban camo" at a woodland site deserves everything that happens to them :D

This.

I snipe a lot, but the ghillie only comes out for milsims or similar games where I'm playing that role. Most of the time regular camo combined with a well made ghillie hood is enough to break up your head/shoulder outline yet provide adequate cover. So long as you use a camo that somewhat matches your environment - anyone who uses "urban camo" at a woodland site deserves everything that happens to them :D

Fair enough, I suppose it depends on where you're playing, and what type of ghillie suit you have. I only wear a ghillie jacket and on the bottom regular camo combats (as stated above, it's a nightmare to get through thick bush, especially with the legs!)

You know, it really doesnt matter as long as you are having fun.

I find a lot of people in airsoft worry what others think. How do I look, is my loadout okay ? etc The benefit of airsoft rather than being in the real military is that you can dress how you want and shoot what you want. If you want to dress like a tree Dads Army style, do it.

Approaching sniperism with caution is a sound idea.

The problem with airsoft sniper rifles is one of range, accuracy and the inability to predict where a bb will fall with the control that you can a real rifle. However, the fun is in the waiting/stalking I suspect.

Just enjoy it, experiment progressively and do what comes intuitively.

Ok so before I start I want to establish that no I am not new to airsoft and no I'm not 14 and no I haven't just finished watching American sniper. So on to what I'm here for. I'm really liking the idea of sniper gameplay. it seems to suit my style of hanging back a little to see what happens and always trying to out think enemies. I don't want to just jump right in and buy a sniper rifle a gillie suit and hate it after a game or 2 so my question is, has anyone made this transition slowly? My AEG is a dmr style rifle but staying under 350 as a normal AEG, today I was at a surplus and bought some scrim net and a new hat and 1 bored hour later id stitched a pretty usable gillie hood, so the plan is next game get down and dirty and start hunting with my AEG and see what results I get and how I like it with always the opportunity of pulling the hood off and going full auto. Many of you tried this play style? Just looking for a little feed back.

You know, it really doesnt matter as long as you are having fun.

I find a lot of people in airsoft worry what others think. How do I look, is my loadout okay ? etc The benefit of airsoft rather than being in the real military is that you can dress how you want and shoot what you want. If you want to dress like a tree Dads Army style, do it.

Approaching sniperism with caution is a sound idea.

The problem with airsoft sniper rifles is one of range, accuracy and the inability to predict where a bb will fall with the control that you can a real rifle. However, the fun is in the waiting/stalking I suspect.

Just enjoy it, experiment progressively and do what comes intuitively.

^ THAT!

Being a sniper is, for me, a state of mind, rather than a look or even your equipment. You want to use what'll do the job...and in airsoft, it is usually to take out as many OP-FOR as possible until they get you. Because there is so little difference in range between decent AEGs and most dedicated rifles, compared with real steel, whilst stealth helps, you're usually close enough to be located eventually...

Browning M2's with scopes on...to handguns with optics...all have been used by snipers to achieve this aim.

I say, do what you plan to do, and most importantly, enjoy it and learn from failures and successes.

Being a sniper is, for me, a state of mind, rather than a look or even your equipment. You want to use what'll do the job...and in airsoft, it is usually to take out as many OP-FOR as possible until they get you. Because there is so little difference in range between decent AEGs and most dedicated rifles, compared with real steel, whilst stealth helps, you're usually close enough to be located eventually...

Browning M2's with scopes on...to handguns with optics...all have been used by snipers to achieve this aim.

I say, do what you plan to do, and most importantly, enjoy it and learn from failures and successes.

Got to agree with this. I run low caps in my M4 AEG. It shoots at 345fps and other than a regular clean and service and gaurder hop rubber it is stock. In woodland I generally stalk the other side and have to be selective in my shots. Im not a fan of Ghillie suits due to their weight and incumbrance but six years ago, for work I made a poncho out of two leafy ruck sack covers. It worked a treat and about a year later I brought a proper version. (You can see it in my pic to the left.)

Being a hooded poncho I can put it on in moments, it can be used as a screen, blanket, OP roof cover and I can stalk in it although it is a little long and can get caught if your not careful. When I switch to attacking or CQB, I just roll it up and keep it in a dump pouch or ruck sack.

Ideal. But they aren't cheap.

Beneath it I wear my normal Airsoft loadout (Olive Surplus hooded windbreaker, Jack Pyke Beaters trousers which I have had going on 5 years) warrior Pathfinder rig and covert plate carrier.

Don't be convinced into going too green. Most forest floors have numerous browns with a scattering of green. Most successful camos for use at low or ground level mimick them.

Like I say, I enjoy this side of Airsoft but equally enjoy being the first through the door behind a MK V. The leafy poncho allows me to do this.

Enjoy the game!

Just for anyone who thinks ghillie suits have to be heavy or restricting or expensive:

https://www.wish.com/geek/m/c/563abd31293def3b18bacc94

This is the one I use, its particularly great for woodland in summer, and it's unbelievably cheap! I also don't use the legs, so I chopped them up and used them for several things, including a net that i wrapped around my rifle, and I stitched a sheet into the back of my tac-vest, so when i'm laying down my back is covered too.

it's not visually as impressive as some of the bigger bulkier more expensive ghillie suits, but you won't overheat in it, you won't break the bank, and you won't care if it gets ripped to shreds when you go bush-whacking!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.