Help Requested: A&K Mk12 MOD 0 SPR

dude-0

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all! This is my first post here on the forums.

I'm here to look for some help or make an enquiry at the very least. I recently got my grubby little paws on an A&K Mk 12 Mod 0 SPR.

I love everything about the gun with one exception - I feel that a full aluminium reciever would bring everything together neatly, improve the durability of the gun, and would just be a 10/10 upgrade...

The problem is I've never disassembled an M4, let alone one with a set of modifications like the *MASSIVE* rail that runs over the TOP of the reciever all the way to the front ironsight.

So what I'd like to know is... *IS IT POSSIBLE* to take the entire external barrel assembly off of this gun, lift out *ALL* the internals, and drop it into an ENTIRELY NEW *black* M4 Body?

And if so, how? :)

Sorry to ask such a complex yet noobish question, I really really really hope someone can help. This thing could really become a dream-gun if I can just make some "Small" mods to it like this.

Thanks in advance!

• Supporters

what is up with present receiver ???

is it not metal anyway ???

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3168

yes it should be possible to drop it into another m4 receiver or body

it isn't the sr25 extended gearbox so should go into another another "normal" M4 receiver ok

(there might be a small amount of filing but nothing really)

It is a M4 toy gun - Tokyo Marui compatible blah blah blah....

truth is a lot of TM compatible stuff will need a smidge of work/file to fit in properly in other stuff

(get used to it - very rare does everything in perfectly 101% everytime - though receivers usually aren't way out)

Just wondering what's up with present receiver as you are thinking of re-shelling everything

On some receivers the thread for the RIS can be different and/or some 416 receivers can have the upper receiver rail a bit higher/lower than a RIS you are installing

So yeah it can be done but a bit of work and you might if unlucky run into a stumbling block if not 100% compatible

if gun works - use it and leave stripping her down until she breaks

if it ain't broke - don't try to fix it !!!

wish I took that advice on occasions

what is up with present receiver ???

is it not metal anyway ???

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3168

yes it should be possible to drop it into another m4 receiver or body

it isn't the sr25 extended gearbox so should go into another another "normal" M4 receiver ok

(there might be a small amount of filing but nothing really)

It is a M4 toy gun - Tokyo Marui compatible blah blah blah....

truth is a lot of TM compatible stuff will need a smidge of work/file to fit in properly in other stuff

(get used to it - very rare does everything in perfectly 101% everytime - though receivers usually aren't way out)

Just wondering what's up with present receiver as you are thinking of re-shelling everything

On some receivers the thread for the RIS can be different and/or some 416 receivers can have the upper receiver rail a bit higher/lower than a RIS you are installing

So yeah it can be done but a bit of work and you might if unlucky run into a stumbling block if not 100% compatible

if gun works - use it and leave stripping her down until she breaks

if it ain't broke - don't try to fix it !!!

wish I took that advice on occasions

It's more just the fact that the reciever is currently made of cheap crappy pot-metal, and I would very much like to upgrade to an aircraft-grade aluminium body, much like the real deal. A lot more rugged, durable, and with the armory markings, nicer to look at.

I've seen the videos on youtube before, none of them show the external deconstruction though. The thing that is not tackled is how to remove the HUGE top rail, or the method by which it's attached. 'Nor is it mentioned how to get that MASSIVE foregrip off.

• Supporters

I would very much like to upgrade to an aircraft-grade aluminium body, much like the real deal. A lot more rugged, durable, and with the armory markings, nicer to look at.

psssst - a lot of metal used in receivers and gearboxes is just $hit pot metal

a number of really old airsoft boxes just crumble away but mine sleep in my bed though missus gets the hump

it is a toy gun, it WILL break in time

when it does THEN look at options

all the time it is in bits is lost time playing peew peew peew

but up to you

• Supporters

the problem you have with fitting a really nice aluminium receiver is that you just move the point of failure somewhere else... the buffer tube or barrel or pistol grip.

you'll spend a lot of money (and for a receiver made to real spec a LOT of money) and have a gun that's not actually any more durable.

Sound advice there from a man who sleeps with his guns! All too many of them to list lol

the problem you have with fitting a really nice aluminium receiver is that you just move the point of failure somewhere else... the buffer tube or barrel or pistol grip.

you'll spend a lot of money (and for a receiver made to real spec a LOT of money) and have a gun that's not actually any more durable.

Well the barrel has a pleasing thickness to it, and the buffer-tube is going to be aftermarket because the gun came with a cheap solid stock.

Do you really think the external upgrades are *that* bad of an idea?

• Supporters

Not at all, external upgrades are what I'm all about. But you can't make an AEG as durable as a real gun, not even close. The buffer is a fine example, it attaches with a very long, thin screw that has no real strength. Even the strongest receiver can't help that and there aren't any aftermarket buffer tubes that are made of anything more substantial than zamak.

Not at all, external upgrades are what I'm all about. But you can't make an AEG as durable as a real gun, not even close. The buffer is a fine example, it attaches with a very long, thin screw that has no real strength. Even the strongest receiver can't help that and there aren't any aftermarket buffer tubes that are made of anything more substantial than zamak.

There are ways and means though, are there not? Such as chemically bonding the buffer into place, and if / when it breaks, using a different chemical to break down the binding agent. But the reciever just *feels* flimsy on this gun. And I'd like those markings and such.

• Supporters

You certainly could glue it on, that said you're just gluing a monkey metal buffer tube onto a nice receiver... The weak point is still there.

There are plenty of nice receivers available that are probably better than the A&K one, but I'd seriously question the point in getting a 6061 or 7075 aluminium receiver, it's overkill.

You certainly could glue it on, that said you're just gluing a monkey metal buffer tube onto a nice receiver... The weak point is still there.

There are plenty of nice receivers available that are probably better than the A&K one, but I'd seriously question the point in getting a 6061 or 7075 aluminium receiver, it's overkill.

But it's pretty, rugged, nice overkill. Atleast if the buffer tube breaks, that's cheap to replace. But if I'm running a cheap pot-metla reciever, and it breaks, and cracks the gearbox? Looking at a new gun then, right?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.