Help desperately needed

Jay85

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, my friend has a fire hawk, he striped the piston so sent it away to a 'tech' to fix, he sent it off with some new duel sector gears, new piston and a m110 spring!

It's come back and is only firing at 95-100 fps, does anyone have any idea why this is? I've checked the piston/cylinder head/ nozzle for compression which seems fine! He and I are at out wits end with this gun! Please help!!

• Supporters

That right there is very much a case of send-it-back to the 'tech' along with a firmly worded communique.

Unless it somehow got battered in transport the person who's done the work FUBAR'd. You don't work on a gun's piston, gears and spring then just not chrono it before sending it off.

• Supporters

That right there is very much a case of send-it-back to the 'tech' along with a firmly worded communique.

Unless it somehow got battered in transport the person who's done the work FUBAR'd. You don't work on a gun's piston, gears and spring then just not chrono it before sending it off.

^^^^ This 100%

Can't send it back to the guy as like all ppl who do this kinda thing, he's all of a sudden very un reachable, he also had the gun for 4 months and he had it back twice before becoming invisible.

• Supporters

Can't send it back to the guy as like all ppl who do this kinda thing, he's all of a sudden very un reachable

Thats because he f*cked it up and probably knows it and doesn't know how to sort it.

If you cant figure it out then I suggest taking it to a shop. There are a couple of likely issues but its impossible to be a 100% without actually being able to see it.

Any guidance would be appreciated, quite a distance from a shop and I've had it apart and all seems ok inside!! Could the dual sector gear be causing the issue?

• Supporters

If he built those in as requested that's the fps you get. The M110 spring gives the expected fps if it's fully compressed in the cycle. The dual sector gear only half-cocks the piston. With this short barrel that is fine, you don't need the full volume of the cylinder, but you would need a spring that is as strong half-compressed as an M110 fully compressed.

• Supporters

Ok, my friend has a fire hawk, he striped the piston so sent it away to a 'tech' to fix, he sent it off with some new duel sector gears, new piston and a m110 spring!

It's come back and is only firing at 95-100 fps, does anyone have any idea why this is? I've checked the piston/cylinder head/ nozzle for compression which seems fine! He and I are at out wits end with this gun! Please help!!

jeeez - at best the dsg pulls 60% max of spring's rating with spacers n crap.....

tbh - your m8 would of been better off with 12:1 gears m130 and knock off say 3 or 4 teeth

one thing I'd love to know - who the f*ck was the "tech" - surely he would of known it would be worse than a JBBG springer

ok stop calling me Shirley

So why would he have built it - ok customer spec but thought anybody who was worth owt would of shouted how $hit it would be

and still I'd of thought - nah soz m8 it would be total $hit I wouldn't bother doing it - honest

he used dual sector gears....

one the sector is dsg

shs dsg's are designed to work with stock 18:1 or 16:1 gears

if you kept stock gears - bevel + spur then due to some FH's having 8 teeth on bevel ratio is down to nearly 22:1

so on a dsg your actual gearing is just 11:1

being anal I know but really think dsg's are over rated - well for us in UK

and if still on stock motor & tamiya no fet it is like a badly thought through build I'm afraid

yes you could put in a m170 spring

but watch out that is one mofo to get in there

mine might have been only a m150-m160 but was using 10mm piston spacer & bearing spring guide to up the spring

and that took about 10 attempts no lie to get in there

that is one of a few reasons why I think dsg is not that great

Short Stroking is a better option and less chance of spring flying out as you close up the box

• Supporters

He has none of the above.

I PM'ed him hes got a full metal tooth piston that hasn't been short stroked, no spacer and no delayer chips on the sector gear. Hes got either an m100 or m110 inside.

This gun was never going to work properly the tech should of known this, its his responsibility to make sure it works and the right parts/set up is used.

• Supporters

This gun was never going to work properly the tech should of known this, its his responsibility to make sure it works and the right parts/set up is used.

200% agree on this - if you take any pride in what you do you ensure you do it right or just don't bother

even if customer is an idiot

and 4 months ???

Airsofter+upgrading.jpg

soz there was one with a cross eyed dude but couldn't find it & tbh can't be ar$ed

OP - don't worry I'm crap at upgrading too - I know a lot why guns break though

Oh yeah I'm the dogz nutz at that bit - coz I break nearly every gun I touch

in fact the only guns that still work are ones that remain un-duck'd

yeah quite a lot of my guns are well ducked you could say

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.