Ares question

Standbystandby

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guys just a quick, what's the deal with ares? I have noticed they are a real marmite brand, love or hate. I was just reading an article an the author states he doesn't like and refers to " the ares/star debacle". What happened and what's caused the split of opinion over the brand?

Cheers

• Supporters

Its simple

Ares is the favourite gun of a chavsofter because they make the Honey Badger C.O.D gun. Chavsofter's dont understand that Ares guns are made from the worst cheese alloy and assembled not by a blind man but by his labrador. They just see it must be the bestest because they used it on their playstation.

Airsofters hate Ares because they are junk and bought by chavsofters.

Sorry spOOn

• Supporters

Ha, interesting. Cheers for the replies it's been bugging me for a while.

There is an awful lot of brands in airsoft where "are shit" seems to be freely interchangeable with "used to be shit but have actually got their act together and make fairly decent kit now, but that doesn't fit with my prejudiced world view so I'm going to ignore it".

Ares USED to be awful. The newer guns are actually not bad at all but I struggle to see how they justify the relatively high cost considering their once poor reputation. Unfortunately airsofters as a breed are quick to condemn and slow to forget.

• Supporters

Ares USED to be awful. The newer guns are actually not bad at all but I struggle to see how they justify the relatively high cost considering their once poor reputation.

. Not bad if compared to a jbbguns special but they are still crap compared to other guns in the same price range. They use some awful materials on the internals and the quality of the finsh internally is terrible.

The exteriors are actually not badly made and if you take the Amoebas out of the equation can look nice.

If you want to rip everything out and rebuild then yeah they are great but then you are better buying a G&P.

This topic comes at an apt time as I have been using my Ares Amoeba 008 (spare gun) recently, and also tonight actually. It actually shoots really, really nicely and others who have used it concur. Even though it feels plasticy and externally feels a tad weak but as far as performance goes, I'm struggling to fault it and I really have been looking for reasons to do so too. Granted, I have just started using it so I am not sure how long it will last :D

• Supporters

Also they use certain bespoke bits like ECU or whatever bollox they call it with magnets n crap on sector gear

Now the tehy guy did a quiet DSG with magnets in a SHS DDG gear so they can be tweaked

Just the bespoke bits n possible fun if/when they bust

Most people like the stuff that is more TM compatible, easy to source parts and stuff like that.

We all bitch about stuff, all guns have their flaws

Some more than others and any potential owner should take into consideration ALL aspects of a gun they are thinking of buying.

Still, I have bought worse so just remember to listen to the cons as well as any pros of future guns

As to what I understand:

very high level to details externally, but internally completely pants.

Someone here recently expressed something to the effect that ares owners generally think its the best thing since sliced bread - for a few months. As for marmite.. well, anyone who purchased something expensive will defend it to himself and to others as being the very best there is - thats just our nature it seems!

Star/Ares can be a bit hit and miss. I own a few and some are great whereas a few others are a bit pants and need a bit of work to make them work.

The L85 family all work well. They came with a polycarbonate gearbox shell and everyone said that it would explode into a million pieces - which it didn't. You can buy a replacement metal gearbox but only do that if your plastic one explodes into a million pieces.

The L1A1 is awesome.

The UMP sucks and needs work to make it fire more than 3 bb's before imploding.

The M249 will eat it's own gears eventually but you won't care as the whole thing weighs about a pound and you will fire it like a pistol until it dies.

The FNC could knock down walls its that strong. Insides are OK as well. disassembly is a bit trying as you feel that you are going to snap the hop when you take it to bits.

The M14 EBR is cast as one piece and isn't enjoyable to carry for more than 2 minutes because of the weight. Insides are OK.

One word to describe Ares & how there changing

SKODA

Also they use certain bespoke bits like ECU or whatever bollox they call it with magnets n crap on sector gear

Now the tehy guy did a quiet DSG with magnets in a SHS DDG gear so they can be tweaked

Just the bespoke bits n possible fun if/when they bust

Most people like the stuff that is more TM compatible, easy to source parts and stuff like that.

We all bitch about stuff, all guns have their flaws

Some more than others and any potential owner should take into consideration ALL aspects of a gun they are thinking of buying.

Still, I have bought worse so just remember to listen to the cons as well as any pros of future guns

Yeah, i've heard people say Ares parts are hard to get hold of.

That's my point, skoda have got better compared to what they were like years ago & given time then Ares should/will get better

I just bought the AM-013 'not the Honey Badger' and for less than £160 you cant go wrong i think. Bear in mind it is based on a real weapon not a COD gun. Agree to the Marmite comments and Skoda, Ares have changed and they just need people to stop dwelling on the past and look to the future, they have adapted so why cant everyone else?

• Supporters

I just bought the AM-013 'not the Honey Badger' and for less than £160 you cant go wrong i think. Bear in mind it is based on a real weapon not a COD gun. Agree to the Marmite comments and Skoda, Ares have changed and they just need people to stop dwelling on the past and look to the future, they have adapted so why cant everyone else?

They haven't changed enough and I am not dwelling on the past I am basing my opinion on the newish one I fixed recently. It was for a nearly £300 gun garbage. I would pick a combat machine over any Ares Ar gun.

• Supporters

I have to agree with this statement.

And it really hurts to do so

Must have been pure agony more like

But even the ultra high precision of G&G - ppppaaaaaaaaaaah

Even G&G's have their faults

End of the day to all gun owners - it is your gun at end of the day and your money

I'm sure any gun that was bad in past will improve

I mean, c'mon if they was THAT BAD, they gotta improve - can't get much worse if something is that crap

No I ain't saying Ares or SRC or other gun makes are that bad

I pull apart - no really I rip apart any gun I get and if its good I praise it imho

if it is crap I will slate it in a very brutal way no punches pulled

I don't own an Ares so I can't comment, if I did have one I'm sure it would be a an epic review

(probably have to turn into a movie & 12 part mini TV series spin-off to cover it)

If you like your Honey Badger or you like you Badger Honey - stop calling me honey/Shirley

Then fine - it is your gun, your money and tbh don't worry what others might say in the end

• Supporters

Then fine - it is your gun, your money and tbh don't worry what others might say in the end

Very true. If you like it and it works then its a good gun.

I dont like Ares but others do and its the same for every make of gun, it's all personal choice

Every make has its issues even the highly thought of Tokyo Marui.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.