Fast Helmets

StretchWinters

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Fast Helmets  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Fast Helmets

• Yus
    • Nah
    • Depends

Give me a nice hat over a helmet any day. Helmets tend to be too regular in shape so get spotted easily. They also make your head a bigger target.

Give me a nice hat over a helmet any day. Helmets tend to be too regular in shape so get spotted easily. They also make your head a bigger target.

Aye, but while the replicas are not safety rated, in most cases they will prevent blood loss (skin breaks, bb impacts and scarring) even if not concussion!

• Supporters

Aye, but while the replicas are not safety rated, in most cases they will prevent blood loss (skin breaks, bb impacts and scarring) even if not concussion!

If I had a pound for every shot I took to the scalp through the vent holes on my FAST helmet, I could buy a couple of MK5s. :D

More to the point, I'm a clumsy fucker that plays CQB and bangs his head a lot. My helmet has saved the day more than once already.

• Supporters

Blood loss and concussion? From a BB at 1j? No, just no!

Sniper rifles aren't all 1J though, are they?

Granted concussion from a BB is pretty unlikely but a BFG could knock you out cold.

Yes for CQB, no for woodland. Purely down to engagement distances for me. I prefer the comfort of a hat/bandana for woodland where I'll usually be shot from further away.

Even at 2.5j it's still not going to cause a traumatic brain injury. Although will sting.

Remember concusion is the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull, caused by but not specific to the direct impact to the external skull.

BFG well yes I will concede that one. Hence the underarm as far as you can see rules.

Although a plastic shell lid without any internal foam to absorb the impact will likely not help prevent injury at all, just dissipate it to somewhere else.

• Supporters

Even at 2.5j it's still not going to cause a traumatic brain injury. Although will sting.

Remember concusion is the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull, caused by but not specific to the direct impact to the external skull.

Picky, picky, picky....

Remember - there's a double "s" in concussion.

Well, up until last month I couldn't understand why anyone would want a helmet.

I wore either a baseball cap or small brimmed hat.

And then, last game, I was charging through the undergrowth, dodging BBs and generally having fun when Wham! I found myself on my arse having run full tilt into a low hanging branch that was obscured by my hat brim.

Nasty cuts and abrasions and mild concussion. Not much fun.

so now its a FMA Maritime FAST helmet for me. It fits in with my load out and is nice and comfy and should stop me making a tit of myself by running into trees!

• Supporters

BFG well yes I will concede that one. Hence the underarm as far as you can see rules.

Although a plastic shell lid without any internal foam to absorb the impact will likely not help prevent injury at all, just dissipate it to somewhere else.

I've been hit in the head by BFGs more times than I care to think, the rules are there but it doesn't stop people getting carried away in the heat of the moment.

• Head Moderator

If I had a pound for every shot I took to the scalp through the vent holes on my FAST helmet, I could buy a couple of MK5s. :D

More to the point, I'm a clumsy f*cker that plays CQB and bangs his head a lot. My helmet has saved the day more than once already.

Advantage of having the non-vented maritime type or simply using a helmet cover to stop those flukey head shots :)

The number of times I that have hit my head or knocked into something, especially when in the dark, and avoided any injury or pain due to wearing a FAST helmet makes it an essential piece of kit for me.

I like my helmet, even more since I bought one of the more expensive versions with the proper straps and pads inside - it fits much more comfortably now, and is nice and secure.

On the other hand, if it was a bit warmer, I'd probably go with something lighter, like a beanie or bush hat.

DDyYoQ4.jpg

• Supporters

Advantage of having the non-vented maritime type or simply using a helmet cover to stop those flukey head shots :)

I sweat like a paedophile in Mothercare so ventilation is paramount. I can deal with the odd shot through the vents :)

Depending on the environment, if I'm indoors then it's full face & helmet but if I'm outdoors then it depends if I wear goggles or full face with a boonie, helmet or bare head & also depends if it's woodland, open ground or with buildings

It's a yes from me, most weeks we skirmish in dense woodland, so it serves a dual purpose for me whereby my noggin doesn't take any BB hits and I can happily charge through the woodland at full pelt when needed without the worry of tree branches etc. causing any facial damage.

Appreciate that they're not for evryone though & as with everything, is down to personal preference of what works for them & what doesn't.

post-9923-0-77958000-1456399803_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

It's a yes from me, most weeks we skirmish in dense woodland, so it serves a dual purpose for me whereby my noggin doesn't take any BB hits and I can happily charge through the woodland at full pelt when needed without the worry of tree branches etc. causing any facial damage.

That is a genuine concern for me. I have a customer facing job so I need to take into consideration that not all our customers would relate well to me running around with guns at the weekend!

Seem a bit overkill in my opinion, if you need one playing airsoft to stop yourself knocking yourself out you probably should be wearing it everyday :P Useful if you want to mount a camera but other than that I wish people would be more sparing with the military grade armor to stop a bb because they are always the ones who don't feel hits.

I do sound like a bitter person when I read things back.

Seem a bit overkill in my opinion, if you need one playing airsoft to stop yourself knocking yourself out you probably should be wearing it everyday :P

Nah, when you're in the heat of the moment, especially indoors, sometimes charging round like a loon, you can just end up not noticing your surroundings and can really hurt yourself by running into something, there's a video around somewhere on YouTube of an airsoft game where the player is running through an outbuilding, runs right into a beam and is out nearly out cold for a good few seconds, quite an eye opening video, I wouldn't be without mine

A hat will absorb the impact of a bb. Boonies are quite good at this as the fabric is heavy enough and loose enough to absorb the impact. My slouch hat is even better, but I'm not about to recommend everyone wears one of those :)

Helmets may help if you run into low hanging branches or structures, they are not needed for protection from bb's.

The first thing I went and bought when I got into Airsoft was a £70 fast helmet. I think i've worn it 4 times over the last 18 months however! I'm yet to try CQB and I'm going to run with it, also I have the gopro NVG mount which is really good on a helmet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I have the L/XL version of the FMA one. It's snug with the pads in but it fits me OK. Just how big is your head?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.