Giveaway !! Haley Strategic - DISRUPTIVE ENVIRONMENTS D3 Sling

RandomTrashy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I wonder how many Facebook pages I'm going to have to like and then share to get in on this one.

Edit

The answer is one plus a sub.

Cynical much?

• Root Admin

Absolutely I am. Too many going about lately that require you do like 7 pages, share 3 posts, subscribe to a couple of YouTube channels and then turn around and touch the ground; I don't think that's so much a giveaway as it is an 'exchange of services'.

• Supporters

Except of course clicking 'like' on a facebook post or a youtube video costs you nothing and without that how else would the person doing the giveaway know who wanted it? Throw a dart at the phonebook and hope?

Giveaways are done by people to force others to share their content in order to broaden their reach, it's massively naive to think otherwise.

• Root Admin

I'm not sure if you've said anything there that contradicts what I'm saying. I would say that a YouTuber can reply to the entry comment (shows up in your e-mail inbox for the majority of people and for the rest it'll show at the top right of YouTube as a glowing bell thingy).

I get why giveaways are done, but you're forgetting that in themselves they provide publicity without the need for sharing/liking/subscribing: They're a way of reaching a new audience who may not even watch your videos before that, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to ask them for likes and shares etc. I 'unno, just seems slightly cheap to me to make content that relies on someone having to do a bit of a song-and-dance to get engaged with the content creator and almost acknowledges the fact that ultimately your views aren't enough: It needs to satisfy the sponsorship agreement they have with whoever is sponsoring the giveaway.

Perhaps it is a naive thing to think, but I subscribe (and share) to content that I like to watch. Just feels like very lazy content creation to me with a lot of the recent airsoft giveaways. The thing is, I'd happily share most of these videos anyway, but don't like the idea of being forced to very slightly dilute my timeline and subscription tab just for the sake of one YouTuber's mortgage - not even if I'm only doing it for a week before unsubscribing again.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.