Aliens Colonial Marines concept and discussion

geoffreym

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As I was driving along, I reached a radio blackspot where there wasn't anything of any interest, and it gave me a bit of time to think, specifically about the crud that is the gearbox software Aliens: Colonial Marines, especially considering that there are a new set of Alien films coming out, it'll only mean a new set of games coming out. And started thinking about what I would have done if I had been in charge (and all that jazz).

One of the biggest things is that I would go along the lines of Mass effect, specifically the "Space Opera" style; an actual universe covering several unique worlds, overarching choices that have far-reaching consequences, 50/50 action to storyline etc.

some of the ideas for gameplay:

-Along the lines of brother in arms (hells highway), instead of controlling single people, you control 3 4 man fireteams (the player being a separate unit) which you can modify, for example you can have 2 teams with just pulse rifles that might be able to move faster and have better awareness (to see the xenomorphs slightly quickly) supported by a team consisting of 2 smart gunners and 2 normal marines which would have a better ability to engage any enemies, but move slower and have fewer out of combat options. maybe a squad of medics/flamethrower (remember dietrich from the film). Maybe forgo a team for an APC, with the classic problems of having limited mobility within structures, but I hope you get the general idea of the force mechanics I'm putting across.

-Area negatives/positives, for example like in the film aliens you may have points where certain weapons are limited, or you may come across colonies/derelicts with high quality motion sensors that make finding enemies easier etc

-Interstellar transport, along the lines of Xcom, as in there is a movement of time which can affect your decisions. For example, the more time that goes after the initial report of an infestation, increases the amount of xenomorphs that you encounter when you finally get to relieving that colony. But you can have other factors that may affect your decision, such as colonies that cry wolf/false reports, WY research facilities, Engineer artifacts. With the classic rewards (faster ship engines, acid resistant armour, etc).

-Something slightly different, no-safe points when on the ground (maybe even when in the ship) so you may be attacked while talking to civilians in supposed safe points, or when your walking through previously safe areas, which could be a reason for having better awareness so that you won't lose anyone were you ambushed, or bad awareness means that xenos wouldn't be spotted until half you force is dead.

these are just a couple of ideas I was thinking, and you never know, something cool might happen.

I'm happy for people to rubbish this idea, as long as they give a reason, please no "crap idea", or if people have something that may be cool.

There's no denying game development for big budget releases at the moment is very stale (doesn't mean the games are bad!).

Here's two games for you to look up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenseto/halcyon-6-starbase-commander

I think both of these will tickle your interests based on what you wrote.

99% of movie tie-ins are dreadful, low budget turds, riding on the coattails of the film itself.

I struggle to name many that I have enjoyed. But the ones I do tend to enjoy, get a lot of hate from everyone else.

99% of movie tie-ins are dreadful, low budget turds, riding on the coattails of the film itself.

I struggle to name many that I have enjoyed. But the ones I do tend to enjoy, get a lot of hate from everyone else.

Yes, when they're directly related to the film, but if they're merely within the same franchise, they have a chance.

There's no denying game development for big budget releases at the moment is very stale (doesn't mean the games are bad!).

Here's two games for you to look up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenseto/halcyon-6-starbase-commander

I think both of these will tickle your interests based on what you wrote.

thanks mate, the mandate looks extremely interesting

I agree wholeheartedly, the only game I like which was based (loosely) on a film was Aliens vs Predator 2, absolutely loved it, at the time. and was just thinking how much could be done within the canon universe while playing up to current gaming standards.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.