Restoring a once custom painted gun - info inside.

CrumpsRAWR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello there! I recently bought a G+P Sentry, which came with an awful desert camo paint job already applied. I've used plenty of Acetone to remove the paint from the full metal body, however some of it just will not lift and it's left the body with a tacky almost dirty look which chemical cleaner or the good ol' fairy liquid just will not lift. So I'm crying out for help, I've almost for it back to beauty I just need advice on how to get it looking clean and fresh!

Thanks to any and all information.

• Supporters

Tacky to the touch?

Try some Label remover or sticky stuff remover (usually has citrus oil in it). Alternatively strip it right down to component parst and give it a damn good scrub in hot water and detergent followed by a good degreaser.

Hi Loz, it isn't tacky to the touch no - but the once black paint underneath now has a weird haze over it, maybe it needs a full acetone bathe to clean it down properly.

• Supporters

Hi Loz, it isn't tacky to the touch no - but the once black paint underneath now has a weird haze over it, maybe it needs a full acetone bathe to clean it down properly.

It could actually be the acetone reacting with the original finish. If you're aiming to get it back to black you might struggle without just stripping/keying it and repainting.

• Supporters

diet coke works quite well!

mmmm...tasty, tasty phosphoric acid. Nom.

• Supporters

Buggar, was hoping to keep the original markings intact.

If the original markings are the usual white transfers then you might just be out of luck. If they're engraved then happy days!

Take all the internals out and drown it in either a citrus or acid based cleaner, diet coke works quite well!

Diet coke you say? I'll grab a couple bottles and bathe it - should I seal it within a container or is it fine in open air?

If the original markings are the usual white transfers then you might just be out of luck. If they're engraved then happy days!

Some of them are engraved deep enough to keep, however some of them are only slightly engraved and spray covers them.

fine in open air, you'll want it fully submerged though.

Okay buddy, I'll give it a slam later - Will it weaken or loosen the paint already on parts? (Not factory paint)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.