R. I. F. T Airsoft - The Defilade

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It was with a not insignificant amount of excitement that myself and the G.W.S Team went to this new site in Chailey, Sussex.

Why was I excited? After a decade of travelling between 45-90 mins each way for a skirmish, this site has opened 5 mins away.

Arriving, there was parking; enough for today, but if the site gains in popularity, it will need to be enlarged. Ample tables in the SZ and three gazebos in case the weather turned. Whilst the welcome wasn't as warm as ACE Combat's and CSW's; we were new...

After a good hour and a half after arrival, Andy briefed us on the game and introduced his 2 other deputies. Teams were made out of the 30 players signed in and we rolled out into the soggy Sussex countryside.

The site is very physically impressive. The playing arena is set in a vast natural crater, and in the summer it is clear that it'd be a sniper's haven.

Game one did not go well. Accusations of hits-not-taken and misguided officiating had two players known to my team packing up and leaving in annoyance after an hour.

We had decided to give the site the benefit of the doubt, and to Andy's credit, he evened up the teams, reiterated the rules and got us going on two further games before lunch.

These were far more enjoyable and we (my GWS team) saw and used the full site area for the first time. I teally cannot wait to play there in the dry and with cover!

Lunch was bring/buy your own: this rankles as for a £20-25 walk-on fee on other sites, lunch would be provided. I had brought my own. Kabuto rice pots are cracking.

A very decent post lunch game followed, after a lot of waiting around in the start-off points (not ideal in the cold) and this was a lot of fun too.

By this point, I was cold and tired, and wanted to see my family back in my warm house a few minutes away, so I packed up and left my team to it with 1 more game to go.

Overall, it is a good site, with a lot of potential and a group of regular players whose majority play fairly and with a smile. It could do with a few more officials - three to look after 30 players over a large site perhaps encouraged the non-hit taking...but their humour and encouragememt was appreciated by myself at least. The site is walkable; nothing is too far away and the site limits will accommadate a lot of airsoft weapon types.

7/10 - like trying to catch a glimpse of your sister-in-law's rack; would try it again.

Heh seems a fairly accurate review, i've only played there once myself and it was soggy as feck, so utterly tiring but good fun.

Only had one issue with a blatant cheater myself when I played but we spoke to the marshals about it and the guy was warned, the guy was so blatant 3 people where shooting at him out in the open haha.

Andy seemed like a good guy too when I was chatting with him. Seems to be a pretty good up and coming site and I look forward to playing there in the summer when it's dry ^_^

Aye website would be best for the details. BTW if you live in shoreham have you checked out EAG worthing? it's about 5 minutes away from where i live so about in the middle for you :P

Went there back in the day. The constant cheating, attack and defend and lack of any marshalling structure meant I avoided it like the plague ever since. I've not been to a site since that wasn't considerably better.

Aye website would be best for the details. BTW if you live in shoreham have you checked out EAG worthing? it's about 5 minutes away from where i live so about in the middle for you :P

Yeah thanks mate. I emailed them twice but had no reply. When I went to combat south a couple of weeks ago Russell said the guy who used to run it died just before Christmas and they were still undecided how it was going to carry on.

I'm going to combat South on Sunday for the first time. Heard nothing but good things and it should only take 45 mins early Sunday traffic.

Yeah i'd only been a few times and i heard about it through their facebook page. best bet is to join on there. I doubt they will close the site though.

I wanna try combat south but it's a bit far to go via motorbike. Need some airsoft friends who have cars :(

CSW is absolutely brilliant. I'd be there far more often but for journey time/fuel costs, but hope to be there over the summer. It was my regular site after I boycotted EAG.

• Head Moderator

I'm going to combat South on Sunday for the first time. Heard nothing but good things and it should only take 45 mins early Sunday traffic.

I have yet to get down there but is on the list of sites I want to attend this summer. A review of your experience there would be useful.

• 4 weeks later...

The Defilade was great fun last Sunday.

20 players; some veterans but mainly newcomers to the sport. And we bloodied them. Boy, how we bloodied them.

Good games; not too complex, not too mentally demanding.

Use of the full site boundaries.

Hands-off, sensible marshalling.

Good banter between opponents.

Sunshine and warmth instead of coldness, pissy rain and numb fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I played at RIFT there was a couple of cheaters but I think the ref had words with them, we all knew who he was and he knew we all knew it too. Anytime we spotted him he would get hosed by 3-5 people till he put his hand up lol.

I really like the RIFT site the marshals are good to have a laugh with and the site is small enough that i know most of it after only playing there twice,

As for worthing i've played several games there now not had any issues regarding people not calling their hits, marshals all seem fairly on the ball and on top of people not calling their hits so maybe they've got better since you went.

You should add me up on facebook or something i'm definitely up for going to either site, gotta get the forum game at combat south booked....least i think there's going to be one lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not on Facebook, but I'm usually on here for a bit.

Yes, there have been 'non hit feelers' at RIFT the two times I've been, but the Marshall team acted upon it.

So hard to put faces to forum names, so please say 'Hi' if we're there again, I'll be one of the guys with a Great White Shark patch on their gear...

Haha i'm the opposite i rarely remember people's names. Agreed the marshals are on top of it and they're a new site, it's usually the younger players they will soon learn to call it as they will get shot less haha.

I should be there this week (24th) with my sniper setup. I'll be the fat guy with crappy camo and a t shirt lol. Assuming my gun bag turns up so I can fit my gun in lol. Otherwise i'll be pistol only :D

I'll keep an eye out for the shark patch but you'll probably find it easier to pick me out as a 6'3 fat guy isn't the most inconspicuous lmao

I hope to be there for a half day.

I hope also to be breaking out a PKM for some support gunner carnage...

Aight, I shall keep an eye out lol. You can be my spotter/close range support and we shall run around wrecking stuff :P

See you sunday bro ^_^

Sounds like a plan, we're always on the lookout for people who want to be fellow Great White Shark patch wearers!!!

• 1 month later...

Really good skirmish at The Defilade yesterday:

The foliage cover is superb and the general mood during the games were competitive yet good spirited - not something that could be said on other occasions there.

It really is a great site and well worth a skirmish there.

Archived