Taking "illegal" grenades

Twice19

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was watching some gameplay vids from The Mall (teasing myself for a game up there in the summer).

In the particular video there was an instance where;

Player *A* puts a Dynatec into a room, follows it in and gets shot by Player *B*

When he comments that *B* should have taken the hit, *B* argues that the throw was over the knee and therefore an illegal throw - so he wasn't going to accept it.

I know that The Mall have specific rules on BFG use, but it got me thinking;

Where do you stand on taking "illegal" hits. For example, BFG's that were thrown 'over the knee'; cardboard pyro that fizzles out and doesn't actually go off, etc?

Personally I would take the hit regardless, but speak to the guy/a marshal about the throw after the game. Or just laugh and take it anyway in the "fizzle out" of cardboard.

Thoughts?

(Deliberately leaving out the name of The Players, the people aren't the point of this, just the situation).

Personally if on the receiving end I would take it, unless it was dangerous e.g. blind/overhand throw. If it just fizzles, in my mind its a dud and the analogy in real life is a grenade that fails to explode. Run like hell.

If I get a dangerous throw, Id have a word with the thrower and if I got abuse, have a word with a marshal.

Imo if it don't go bang then it's not a hit

All sites I've played at so far so say paper pyros can be thrown over arm (if they hit you then it won't hurt) reusable grenades are thrown under arm long as it's not towards someone's head

So simple fact for me is player B is a cheat for not taking it, wether it's below knee or not

However, some sites may have that rule & you should not assume other sites play with the same rules so "if in doubt, ask a Marshall" use of grenades etc should always be explained in the safety brief & if you weren't listening for any reason then it's your problem (and I'm not referring to you personally mate lol)

Agree with the above. If it doesnt go bang its fair game you had a dud and life sucks for you as im going to shoot back as i wasnt "hit" due to a dud. As for bfg's if its not a dangerous throw then ill take a hit as fairs fair and in the heat of the game sometimes people will slightly over throw and release a little high, any under arm throw is a valid throw in my book. Player b is a cheat and a jobs-worth.

Yep

As long as he bfg isn't coming at my head and it goes bang I'll take hit

If the cardboard or the bfg doesn't go bang then I'm alive and shooting

• Supporters

Just take the hit.

If its a little high don't worry about it unless the player is constantly doing it.

If they are point a marshall in their direction but still take the hit its a marshalls job to monitor the players not the players themselves.

If you catch one on the noggin though then you have every right to say bollocks as thats just plain dangerous.

• Head Moderator

As above, if it goes bang then take the hit, and if any grenade fails to detonate then it is a dud and game on.

The Mall do have strict rules which they make very clear at the initial briefing for bfg being thrown under knee level and the trajectory also must be below that height to stop high lobs for safety.

• Supporters

As others have said take it, but report to a marshal if they are being dangerous with how they throw it. I'm not keen on players that are overly anal about the rules, common sense would be to politely mention minor infractions to the player. Like when two players refused to take a 2-3 round burst each from me because the rules were near buildings semi auto only.

Fortunately most people seem to be pretty sensible with them but accidents do happen. I played a game once where someone was getting ready to throw just as a player popped out of the tunnel he was aiming for made him jump and the grenade split the chaps nose open.

Seen a few videos where the player recording throws a grenade and films it going off with themselves a couple of metres away. Then highlights how the other player didn't take the hit....

Hey Mr Taliban! I'm not going to die from that grenade you threw as you threw it like a girl!!

** woops forgot to say, if it dont go bang well stop crying it happens in real life and as long as they don't through BFG at my head in cool.**

If it doesn't go off then I won't take the hit since it would lead to less honest players throwing in grenades with no blank in and then claiming that people should call their hits since it didn't go off.

If it's an "illegal throw" but goes off I'll take it. However I will have a quiet word with the player on my way to respawn. If (s)he doesn't listen then I'll take it up with a marshal.

Something I do which does work at getting people running is throw a used paper pyro & shout grenade, it throws people off guard & then they get shot by someone/anyone

Its just to clarify that I do it to throw people of guard & to scatter. Its for no other reason & people always say to me after what a funny idea it is & say fairplay. No ones ever accused me of cheating or said you can't do that

• Head Moderator

Something I do which does work at getting people running is throw a used paper pyro & shout grenade, it throws people off guard & then they get shot by someone/anyone

Its just to clarify that I do it to throw people of guard & to scatter. Its for no other reason & people always say to me after what a funny idea it is & say fairplay. No ones ever accused me of cheating or said you can't do that

I have on occasion done the same. Can be useful when there is a blocked corridor and no one is going through a doorway, I simply throw a used mk5 cardboard tube into the corridor and shout "frag out" or similar and then run though. Sometimes it works, they move back behind cover or are distracted and I can get forward and take a better shot. It is just a ruse to gain a brief window of opportunity.

I have on occasion done the same. Can be useful when there is a blocked corridor and no one is going through a doorway, I simply throw a used mk5 cardboard tube into the corridor and shout "frag out" or similar and then run though. Sometimes it works, they move back behind cover or are distracted and I can get forward and take a better shot. It is just a ruse to gain a brief window of opportunity.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to do it :) last time I did it, the guy said he stood there staring at it thinking it should be fizzing & then someone popped him & another guy :) he did say he'll try it

I do it when I've run out of pyros aswell

• Head Moderator

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to do it :) last time I did it, the guy said he stood there staring at it thinking it should be fizzing & then someone popped him & another guy :) he did say he'll try it

I do it when I've run out of pyros aswell

Players expect the Mk5 to land and fizz a bit before going off, so they are used to waiting for the bang and then maybe giving it a few seconds extra in case it has a long fuse.

I have also thrown a series of used mk5 so that the opposition just think it is a distraction and stop reacting to me, which is when I throw in the live one hoping to catch them off guard.

My usual tactic for grenades is not to retreat from them; but instead charge the room they were thrown from.

It's usually the last thing people expect, if you have several team-mates doing it with you 😃

Worst case, your heading to respawn - which you would anyway with the 'nade. So take some people out with you!

• Supporters

My usual tactic for grenades is not to retreat from them; but instead charge the room they were thrown from.

It's usually the last thing people expect, if you have several team-mates doing it with you 😃

Worst case, your heading to respawn - which you would anyway with the 'nade. So take some people out with you!

This, 90% of the time the players in the room the grenade came from will not be ready for you!

• Moderators

as above, goes bang dead, fails then its dud and carry on until shot.....urban assault, grenades uses just go 'poooof' and smoke a bit, most people see them and run, so no hit as not in the 'zone'

Tudders it was different, they really do go bang, I can still hear the ringing....(or is that the wife moaning as I'm on here while she is in garden doing stuff....), and the room/building there in, all are hits no matter what from memory and count, others who do gunman sites can explain more as only been once :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.