Both eyes open optics.

Iceni

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Both eyes open shooting.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Both eyes open?

Just been told I'm not right. As in my mate can't get his head round the fact I shoot both eyes open with a red dot optic.

It's the most natural thing in the world for me to do this, I have my relief set quite far forward, And use the dot like an invisible laser pointer. I don't even see the scope when I shoot.

My chosen sight is a walther PS22, It sits nice and high and because of the extra relief I retain my RHS peripheral vision when shooting.

Anyone else do anything similar, and what sights do you use?

2.1020_0-11875_t4.jpg

I never use two eyes. It just seems to be wrong... I can't seem to get the right angle sort of thing.

He was talking about ALL 1x optics right? I'm using an eotech replica.

Oh well. Maybe it's because I get too close to the optic..

• Supporters

Look at your target, then introduce the optic by bringing the rifle up to put the dot on the target, should keep focus on the target and squeeze the trigger.

I shoot EVERYTHING both eyes open.

^ you joking?

Dave is correct. Ive spent a lot of time with Bill Rogers, as well as having bee to a few of his classes. Always both eyes. Even with a magnified optic. Sometimes I'll wink to refocus, but other than that still both eyes

I hadn't actually considered using both eyes with magnification as well. I'm not sure how I would get on with that, I'll have to borrow something with a bit more zoom and give it a go.

At least I know I'm not a freak, It wasn't until he watched me shooting that he even noticed.

Mos any optic is fine I shouldn't have put the 1x bit. That is my personal optic but it's pretty much irrelevant. I've edited the title and the OP to reflect this.

• Supporters

Oh well. Maybe it's because I get too close to the optic..

This.

Whereabouts on the rifle do you have your sight? I'd be willing to bet it's too far back.

This.

Whereabouts on the rifle do you have your sight? I'd be willing to bet it's too far back.

Well, the gun I use is a CXP, so it's small and the EOTECH takes most of first rail place.

Its right up close to where the iron sights should be, and, being small, I have the stock retracted, I think I'm way too close lol. I'll try being further back lol.

Thanks.

I use an eotech 552 on my M4 & my acog on my SA80. The point of a red dot is so you can keep both eyes open & also for quick acquisition. I keep both eyes open & both red dots are away from my eyes, I can keep the dot on target while being able to look around

The susat on an SA80 is being phased out in favour of the acog & elcan sights

I find the red dot goes fuzzy if I close one eye, I naturally use both eyes and focus on the target, then move the gun in line. I use iron sights or a rifle scope with just one eye tho

• Supporters

I find the red dot goes fuzzy if I close one eye, I naturally use both eyes and focus on the target, then move the gun in line. I use iron sights or a rifle scope with just one eye tho

For iron sights, you must use both eyes, and the sight must be under your dominate eye (not always the same as your dominate hand; I'm right handed, left eyed). For optics, you can use either eye. But keep both open. It allows you to track your targets. Taught to me by a man who deals with shooting in sub-second time windows.

If I aim with my non dominant eye I have no choice but to close the dominant eye or I get double vision. Cross dominance sucks, however due to a slight unequal disability, I cannot correct my eye dominance behaviourally like most people.

• Supporters

Well, the gun I use is a CXP, so it's small and the EOTECH takes most of first rail place.

Its right up close to where the iron sights should be, and, being small, I have the stock retracted, I think I'm way too close lol. I'll try being further back lol.

Thanks.

Try moving it forward, roughly over the magwell.

Try moving it forward, roughly over the magwell.

Pretty much where I position mine

If it's right up against your eye, you get a blind spot like you do with car mirrors cause the sight/red dot is in the way

• Supporters

spending an hour lying behind a .308 with your eye shut gets tedious, keeping them open makes no difference, is more comfy and thus a better shooting position

When l used to shoot air rifles a lot l used to find that having one eye zoomed in at around 5x power where the other one was at 1x would severely screw up my eyes after a while.

l always close an eye when using magnified optics so that l don't have each eye at a different zoom level because it hurts my brain trying to adjust for it lol.

• Supporters

I can see that, your way works for you, my way works for me.

But 1 eye for 1x sights is objectively wrong.

Oh yeah no argument there.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.