hop advice

mimozine

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys, i read somewhere that its better to have an H shaped bead in the hop instead of a standard round one, is that right? if so where in uk can you buy them as i've had a search about and cant see any in stock.

also i've seen them described as beads/nubs/spacers/bucking etc what is the correct term for them?

• Root Admin

Nubs is the correct term.

Those concave/'H'-shaped ones are for specific hop rubbers - you don't want one just thrown in there with any old hop unit as most hop up rubbers are designed for a simple cylinder shape.

If you're looking to fiddle with your hop then look into flat hopping. Prometheus supply flat hop nubs and flat hop up buckings. I believe both are sold on Firesupport, Eagle6 and others.

Just out of curiosity how bad would it be to put a h-nub into a hop-up unit without modifying the bucking. Would it completely trash the hop up or would you see mixed results?

Mostly saying because I've done this but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Still have the original nub in my bits draw so i'll take it along with me next time i play.

Edit: Gun is a G&G UMG btw, wanted to improve the hop up so replaced the bucking and got a h-nub but didn't modify the new bucking

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.