Zeroing In? (If that is the right term)

20ChickenNuggets

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I need to sort out my holographic, I was aiming at a caravan window, on site, don't worry, and could see that the bbs were ending up to the right and down...

Without the sight I can see the bbs traveling pretty straight so I know it wasn't the wind causing this all the time. Anytime I looked down my sight I was shooting off target.

My sight has windage and elevation adjustments so I'm hoping these actually work.

Has anyone got a good method for getting it close to accurate? I tried a bit yesterday but really couldn't do much with the wind and that fact I was in and out of games.

Ta!

I haven't got a holographic, but the concept is the same to iron sights.

Find a target you want to shoot at (caravan window) and first get your hop set. Once your happy with how the Hop is;

5/10 shots to the window - adjust the sight to compensate.

Just keep on firing groups (semi for me) and adjusting until you have it set right.

There's no real way that's quick and easy to set the sights. It's mostly trial and error and constant adjusting of the sight :-)

you just move the dot using the adjustments on the side of the holo. Make sure your hop is sorted first and pick a windless day otherwise the gusts will screw up your zeroing. Also do the zeroing on a reasonable ranged target; make sure its on the horizontal before the bb starts to fall off and dont go for something too close or too far. Try to adopt a typical engagement range you use in your games.

• Supporters

I've used acouple of various targets of junk...

aprox 80ft there is an old rusty dustbin - get it hitting that and even if you fail to see every single shot

you can hear it by the tang sound it makes.....

Then move onto a 4pt plastic milk bottle near it - adjust/tweak to improve accuracy bit better

makes a distinctive thud sound

Finally a smaller target like a small thin aerosol deodorant can - little bit harder to hit but makes a nice tink sound when I'm starting to get there

now this is only just under 25m but it is a rough quick check to get sights roughly set up

if bb's are curving off at longer range then your sights won't help for curvey flyers

yes if gun was shooting ultra true I'd be conducting longer target tests

heck suppose a range if I had a really good gun or accurate sniper

but is an easy basic test I use to help set it up a bit better

without having to go trudging down to examine how good the groupings are or not

if I hit that aerosol can with say 4 out 5 attempts I'm pretty happy with gun and sights

Sit your gun in a cardboard box with a v cut out of either end then conduct ur range test. That way you can eliminate as meny veriables as possible.

Set the target at 15 meters, zero sight. Then move to 20 meter etc etc. Until u find the range you can reliably hit a target. You will then have set ur sight and it will give you a good idea of performance. Then reset the target at 10 meters. Fire off a few rounds this will show you how much over/under you have to aim with your sight set for range.

If you know the MOA of the sights windage and elevation you can predict the initial movement fairly reliably. 1 MOA is 27.5mm at 100 metres (or 1 inch at 100 yards). So at a 10 metre target 1MOA worth of movement is 2.75 millimetres. So based on that you can turn the turret the appropriate amount to cover the distance its wrong both horizontally and vertically and it should come pretty much centre with a single adjustment and then its fine tuning if its a little off.

Not all sights come with a specification for how much a click will produce in movement, but you can estimate it yourself with taking say 10 clicks and seeing how far it goes and thus based on 1 MOA = 2.75 millimetres estimate it. Then you can do the adjustment. Its worth knowing the turrent click in MOA. My bushnell for example is 1/4 MOA per click, many cheaper sights are more like 1 MOA per click.

1. Get a shoebox

2. Draw 5 small ish dots on a piece of paper like the picture I've included, cut a square out of the lid of the box just indside the rim then tape/pin said piece of paper over that hole and put an old t-shirt or something inside the box to stop ricochet

3. Aim at the middle dot with your sight bang on the dot at whatever distance you feel is good, I generally use about 25-30m

4. Take 5 shots in semi, checking where you are hitting after each shot to see where you are actually shooting

5. Now adjust your sight in accordance to where you need to be hitting e.g. you're shooting to the right of the dot adjust your windage to the left

6. Once you have adjusted what you think is correct move onto another dot and repeat the process until you are hitting bang on where you are aiming, 5 dots should be plenty, once on about the 3rd dot you should be taking a shot and be adjusting after each shot because it should be pretty darn close

That's a fairly simplified guide but it works perfectly for my airsoft and real shooting [obviously I don't use a shoe box for larger calibres but I use the same principle] you can use this method at whatever distance you want really as long as your rifle will reach and your hop is set correctly. Sorry for waffling on but I hope it helps.

post-11665-0-03756300-1454935761_thumb.png

Edit: This one is after zeroing my .177 S200. I can't remember the range but I had just put on a new scope so it was miles off windage wise, I started top right with 7 shots, moved to top left with only 3 but I can't remember why, then 5 in the middle, then 5 each on the last bottom 2 just to make sure I had it pretty good before I ran out of light.

S200zero.png

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.