Blitz CQB - Whitechapel (Airbourne Airsoft)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Game day: 07/02/2016

Game times: 14:00 - 18:00, but I stopped playing and packed up at 15:30

Players on site: 27 out of a maximum of 30

Price: An eye watering £30

Safety

They don't chrono here at all. At Epsom Bunker I saw the same thing and ended up with a broken finger, this time I pulled a BB out of my skin having ripped through my camo top, that is a super hot gun, its the first time I have actually technically been "shot" playing airsoft since I started playing 2 years ago. Considering most games I go to I see at least one guy have an issue with chrono its worrying to know a site doesn't check. But the site rules are also a bit vague on the allowed power as well, it states that it allows up to "1.3 J (approx 350fps) with a 0.2g", but actually 1.3J is around 390 fps with a 0.2g so its not really clear which they mean, considering the distances this ought to be a 328 fps. So expect to get shot with DMR powered guns at 5-10m, you will bleed.

This is also the sort of site where polarstars seem to accumulate, I saw 4. The "semi fire" these guns put out was incredible, it was faster than my full auto!

Site size

The primary issue with this site is the size. Its small, its smaller than Bunker 51. It does at least have 3 lanes you can actually move down but in most games the respawn room was under attack. I got shot more in the respawn more than I did anywhere else, the opposing team once they got an advantage could hold the entire enemy team in the start and just keep firing at the doorway. This is the sites main downfall its just too small, 1 of the games the two respawns could basically see each other and that was all kinds of ridiculous.

I think the development of the site is actually pretty good. The buildings have 2 floors and there are murder holes and lots of little interesting places. I think it all looks quite nice, but I am not convinced by the layout. There is one dominating place in the embassy that looks down the main street to the other side of the site and it tends to stop people getting across the roads. So you find that roads are just death traps so its all about moving up in the buildings on the left and right hand side and its really close.

Overkill

A lot of what makes a site nice to play on is its regulars and players. The opposing team at one point tried to dig a hole through my chest and shot me about 15 times as I was unable to get down some stairs blocked by a team mate. Despite repeatedly calling hit and clearing standing with my arm up they just kept shooting and there was no where to go to get out of the fire. It wasn't going towards my team mate it was all aimed at me. I also got shot a lot of times walking back to respawn, it wasn't uncommon to take 5-10 rounds in the back as you walked through the open area with your arm clearly up even saying "dead man walking" coming out of cover didn't save you. They weren't at least aiming for the head but honestly that sort of behavior is the worst combined with the power of the guns being used.

Games

The first game was an infinite respawn game to occupy buildings. Early on we had a reasonable command of the area but we eventually got locked into spawn and ended up with just one of the 4 buildings. The game was not switched around from the other side.

The second game was taking a bomb to the embassy building, a defend mission while one team attacked. This was the only game I actually enjoyed, both from a defense and offense perspective it worked given the small area they have.

The third game was a flag game where the places they had to go was all kinds of silly. The two spawns could basically see each other so most of the team got locked in spawn. This one got turned around and was just as bad the other direction.

Music

They have music playing during the game and this makes it kind of hard to hear. If someone took a shot to their plate carrier they might not hear it and indeed it seemed to add to the fog of war and the inability to hear what was happening on the other side of the site. It meant you would come out of spawn to find a position was taken and you would have known that if it wasn't for the music.

Conclusion

Poor safety, tiny site, expensive and I was the third person to leave and that was just 1.5 hours in. This site is all kinds of sh*t, don't go. Go to Epsom Bunkers instead that at least has a unique angle even if its less safe, go to Bunker 51 where the safety is better but the site is a little worse but they know what games work given their space. This is one to avoid.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game day: 07/02/2016

Game times: 14:00 - 18:00, but I stopped playing and packed up at 15:30

We appreciate your sacrifice. We really do.

How can the most easily accessed airsoft venue in the nation's capital have such a disregard for representing the hobby.

It was good to meet you today I was pitting next to you

Have to echo the above I foolishly stayed until the end when things became even more ridiculous! With spawns and how the enemy cornered you in and just hosed you down.

A chrono was brought out in the end and one of the guns came in at an eye watering 380...

I can't say I'm happy with the day I feel a bit miffed and disappointed with the experience the amount it cost for what in effect was a sadistic days play.

I don't wear a plate carrier or anything like that so all the shots that were coming in hurt, but some guys down here were dressed as if they were actually going to war might be a reason for some of the poor hit taking.

Anyhow a disappointment really

The danger from a 380 fps gun at those ranges is very real, you will be picking out a BB from your skin or having it whizz through the weaker standard ANSI eye protection. But from the site rules its within their specifications, but those specs are dangerous.

How organised were the people running the show after you arrived, how long did they take to start playing, did the doors open at 2pm or was that the time you started playing/briefing. While I probably wont go now, I was put off mainly by how vague they defined playtime within a "session".

How organised were the people running the show after you arrived, how long did they take to start playing, did the doors open at 2pm or was that the time you started playing/briefing. While I probably wont go now, I was put off mainly by how vague they defined playtime within a "session".

So the doors are open earlier and you kit up and are ready to go at 14:00. They also very short breaks between games most of the time I was there, to the point where loading 3 magazines and cleaning my goggle had me getting a hurry up.

• Head Moderator

Thank you for the review. Disappointing result but helpful in saving me a trip there until/if it improves. The few pictures from the website make the buildings look interesting but it seems that the site is too overcrowded. Profit over player experience. How was the marshalling? Were there many marshals present, and did they do much to control the play and sort out any issues?

That they do not even bother with a chrono really puts me off playing there now especially as it is a small CQB site. It is just too tempting for unsportsman like people to use hot guns, or the usual excuse of "but it's only 30 fps over the limit".

Thank you for the review. Disappointing result but helpful in saving me a trip there. The few pictures from the website make the buildings look interesting but it seems that the site is too overcrowded. Profit over player experience. How was the marshalling? Were there many marshals present, and did they do much to control the play and sort out any issues?

That they do not even bother with a chrono really puts me off playing there now especially as it is a small CQB site. It is just too tempting for unsportsman like people to use hot guns, or the usual excuse of "but it's only 30 fps over the limit".

There is no marshals,

The guys have a viewing box however they can't see the whole site from it or see what naughty behavior is going on.

I have one hell of a lump on my head today and that was from a ricochet so thank god it wasn't a direct hit.

There is some positives to the place don't get me wrong but it does need some strategy and common sense applied and all guns should be chrono'd and the P*/HPA people need to be checked, tourney locked and the joule creep monitored.

I don't want to bash the HPA guys as i know a lot of people who run them are decent, however the guys yesterday were questionable at best...

I am going to try it again, I am a firm believer in never judging a place on 1 visit.

I will report back when I go I'll also get some video footage so people can gauge what it's like for themselves

We went there just before Christmas, game started late, ended early. No marshalls in the field. Accused of cheating because the regulars couldn't beat us. Marshals drinking Stella from the word go! Along with players! Definitely won't be going back to an airborne Airsoft game there.

We went there just before Christmas, game started late, ended early. No marshalls in the field. Accused of cheating because the regulars couldn't beat us. Marshals drinking Stella from the word go! Along with players! Definitely won't be going back to an airborne Airsoft game there.

Drinking Stella and playing with guns what could possibly go wrong :/

Sounds like your day was worse than ours!!

Hi Brightcandle.

My name is David Jones and I own Ultimate Airsoft in Whitechapel in London. Thank you for your post and your valuable feedback. I am really sorry to hear that Blitz CQB did not live up to your expectations. I fully take on board what you have said especially your concerns regarding safety. Let me first point out that Airbourne Airsoft run their Blitz CQB from my site. In my experience with Kenny and his team, they run a really tight and professional game, and I'm sorry if they have fallen short in this occasion. I'm sure they will want to make it up to you if you would be up to giving them another chance. And that's FOC on me. Let me address some of your concerns.

Chrono

I obviously have a chrono on site and am not sure why it is not being used. Rest assured, from this moment on all players will be required to chrono test their weapons upon entry to the game zones. As we speak, my team are setting up individual team chrono stations as you walk into each side of the field. This will cut down on the time to ensure maximum game time. 328ft/s make absolute sense on our site, not just for safety, but also for comfortable and enjoyable game play.

Marshalling

I will insist that at least one marshal be present in the game zone at all times. As I'm sure you are aware, the site has many blind spots and it's not going to be feasible to have eyes everywhere but you are absolutely right in that a marshal should be present in the field. The marshal booth is for controlling the game and not for safety observation.

Music

We'll turn it down. Should only be there for atmospherics.

Size

Come on, it's not all about the size (or so I keep telling my wife!). Yes, we're not the biggest CQB site. But that's what CQB is all about. Even the Epsom Tunnels can't give the kind of game play Ultimate Airsoft can give. There are a multitude of rooms and angles that can result in some awesome firefights. If there was enough cover. Leads me to the next point.

Cover

I completely take on board the remarks about the respawn area. My team will work with Kenny this week to work out how we can close down some of the kill zones and even up the game play from both sides. Hands up, this is my bad. We did identify this earlier and I will ensure this gets sorted this week.

Price

Yes we are a little dearer than other sites. But to be fair, there are few (if any) sites so centrally located in any major city in the country, than Ultimate Airsoft. We have developed a dedicated Airsoft zone, designed by players, for players. We're not a bunch of pallets knocked together. I hope you would agree that it does have a certain wow factor as you walk in. We knew we were going to have to charge a little more but we have really tried to offer a proper cool immersive gaming experience in return.

I hope this helps relieve some of your grievances. Let me know if you'll let me make it up to you and get you back down.

Regards

David Jones

Ultimate Airsoft

Whitechapel

London

Price

Yes we are a little dearer than other sites. But to be fair, there are few (if any) sites so centrally located in any major city in the country, than Ultimate Airsoft. We have developed a dedicated Airsoft zone, designed by players, for players. We're not a bunch of pallets knocked together. I hope you would agree that it does have a certain wow factor as you walk in. We knew we were going to have to charge a little more but we have really tried to offer a proper cool immersive gaming experience in return.

I hope this helps relieve some of your grievances. Let me know if you'll let me make it up to you and get you back down.

Regards

David Jones

Ultimate Airsoft

Whitechapel

London

Does the venue sit empty when the Airbourne Airsoft event is not running, or do you actually run airsoft games out of there. What I mean to say is: Is the only time it's actually used during "bring your own marshals" games?

Have you tried reaching out to any other airsoft companies for interest in using the site during it's downtime? I reckon the site could be quite good with 10v10 BYOM (bring your own marshalls :P).

You have association of some kind with Bunker51, why do wolf armouries not use this venue also?

And the drinking issue? And the apparent Polarstar issue? And the overkill issue????

Fair play to you for coming on here and addressing some concerns but it sounds (albeit 3rd hand) that its anything but a 'tight ship' being ran down there. Perception of a site being everything, some action to correct these issues may do you a world of good as a business in increasing potential customer base but I am sure you know that already :)

Every time I have been to an Airborne event the Safety Brief has been, comprehensive, informative and a giggle too.

They have ALWAYS chrono EVERY one of my guns and have asked me to put one aside as it was 380.

The fact that some players are deliberately dishonest at chrono (cheating it or simply not presenting a weapon) happens everywhere.

The DS are not only knowledgeable but incredibly friendly and go out of their way to accommodate.

The guy who runs it (Kenny) even lent me a gun to use during a Longmoore Op as I tripped and broke mine.

Yes, there are areas that can become a particular challenge if YOU AND YOUR TEAM let it but isn't that the point?

Would you play at a site where it was easy to win?

As for a DS having a beer at Christmas... are you for real?

I'd stake my wage that you've had a pint or 2 at some point in your life and driven home...

Go again, I'd wager that you have a better time.

I'm new-ish to Airsoft as I have been playing a lot of paintball. After my first taste of Airsoft on an SAS Stag Do event, I've been hooked never will play paintball again. I've had a few games at Blitz and Longmoor, Airborne Airsoft have been brilliant great fun days / evenings.

I can't see why you think £30 is expensive for 4hrs I can spend that in one or two rounds in Paintball - 30min tops. I've been as it's been a cheap night out and it's more fun than playing CS-GO at home.

The site is cool, but the Airborne Airsoft guys make it a cracking venue and happy to give a helping hand with getting the best out of the games.

Mamba

Does the venue sit empty when the Airbourne Airsoft event is not running, or do you actually run airsoft games out of there. What I mean to say is: Is the only time it's actually used during "bring your own marshals" games?

Have you tried reaching out to any other airsoft companies for interest in using the site during it's downtime? I reckon the site could be quite good with 10v10 BYOM (bring your own marshalls :P).

You have association of some kind with Bunker51, why do wolf armouries not use this venue also?

I am also the owner of Bunker 51. I have two other Airsoft groups who use the site as well as beginning to run my own games with my staff. In addition, the site runs as an overflow for our laser tag operation which is at the front of the site. We also hire the site out for immersive theatre experinces and private functions. It's getting used s lot.

Wolf have been invited down to view the site but haven't as yet. BYOM is something we could look at at times we're not busy.

Following on from you're post, I urge you to go back to blitz for a full day, i find it hard to write a review on 1.5 hour of playing, I've been to blitz 5-6 times since it opened and had no problems, I agree with you on the bit about getting trapped in spawns, I've had it happen to me a few times, you just have to be aggressive as a team to fight out of the spawn, if you have any problems please contact the directors of airborne airsoft they're really approachable guys, always taking on points from players and putting the player first! But again I urge you to go back again don't let one bad game put you off going again.

And the drinking issue? And the apparent Polarstar issue? And the overkill issue????

Fair play to you for coming on here and addressing some concerns but it sounds (albeit 3rd hand) that its anything but a 'tight ship' being ran down there. Perception of a site being everything, some action to correct these issues may do you a world of good as a business in increasing potential customer base but I am sure you know that already :)

Please understand, we are not Airbourne Airsoft Blitz CQB. These issues are with how they run their games. However, drinking, whether it's a player or a marshal is an absolute no no. Airbourne Airsoft have been instructed that this does not happen again. In fairness, I think this was a brief lack of judgement on their part, but they have been told in no uncertain terms that it cannot happen.

As for overkill, come on. This happens in every Airsoft game everywhere. I'm sure you've laid on one or two many rounds more than is needed at times. By the time a player is indicating a hit there could be 10 rounds in the air. No site can have a marshal on every players shoulder. This is an accepted, if unwelcome, part of playing the game. What's not acceptable is overkill with hot guns. I've addressed the issue of chronographing so hopefully this will at least make it bearable. Bear in mind, if a player is caught purposely overkilling, hot or not, they will be barred.

The fact that stated that works are being done "as I speak" is a fair indication that "action" is being taken to correct modt of these issues.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what polarstar means.

• Root Admin

Polarstar, SMP, etc. - HPA (high pressure air) rifles. Very high (and adjustable) rate of fire and quick trigger response. Have known twats to use them in CQB because in semi they're like a paintball gun - you can get 20-30rps out of them if your fingers are quick enough. This certainly isn't just at a handful of sites though as there's usually one or two wherever from what I've heard. Gives HPA a bad name.

• Supporters

I can't see why you think £30 is expensive for 4hrs I can spend that in one or two rounds in Paintball - 30min tops. I've been as it's been a cheap night out and it's more fun than playing CS-GO at home.

The site is cool, but the Airborne Airsoft guys make it a cracking venue and happy to give a helping hand with getting the best out of the games.

Mamba

Because you can go to a cqb site like the mall and get a whole days play for £35 in bigger and better venue where the marshalls do there job properly.

I was tempted to get in touch with the site about organising regular private games for myself and also for forum meets, but after reading all this and looking at online reviews think I will leave it alone.

Got to ask mamba do you work for them?

Asking because you only joined today and jumped straight on here sticking up for the site. Are you really the stealth employee who has to defend the beer swigging unprofessional marshalls because it didnt work.

I think I and most forum members will listen to brightcandle more as he is a well known forum regular.

Archived