Leaving Gas in Gas Grenades

Shizbazki

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hi all

I recently purchased the Airsoft Innovations Cyclone Grenade (smaller brother of the Tornado Impact Grenade) and was wondering when i store it do i store with or without gas?

I know with GBB pistols you need to store the mags gassed up to maintain pressure on the o-rings but is it the same for Gas grenades?

• Supporters

Just got a reply direct from AI in literally an hour on a Friday evening:

Definitely store it empty - best if it is lubed with some of the silicone oil included
Thanks
AI

Ariel Goodall, Technical Support
Airsoft Innovations Inc.

I always leave a small amount in them

I do the same with moscarts.

• Supporters

What's their reasoning there? It it better for the nade or liability issues?

They never gave a reason, what i posted above was literally all they replied with.

I think its for two things

a) liability issues and

B) so that you use more silicone oil, they insist you use their brand but to be honest i think normal silicone oil would do.

No gas mags should be stored full, it's one of those stupid airsoft myths that have no basis.

Seals under pressure will fail significantly quicker than a seal under no pressure.

The back pressure closing the valve puts pressure on the seal deforming it, the longer it's deformed the more likely to stay deformed or even tear. And the same if not more importantly for the Base seal.

Leaving the mag empty but lubricated with a tiny drop of oil will prevent mags leaking. And prolonged the life of the mag.

Anecdotally since using this method, I have never had any leaks from any of my 4 g5 mags or in any of my 3 TM mags which used to leak like a biatch.

I think it was one of the bosses from patrol Base who wrote a proper spiel, I will try to dig it out.

• Root Admin

Leaving them full is dumb, but I was always under the impression some should be left in just to keep the seals held against one another and stop any moisture getting in - the o-rings can't dryrot in that kind of environment.

I get the bit about deformation, but that's a 20 minute fix by taking the o-rings out and leaving them in some silicone overnight. Moisture and oxidation inside the magazine is a bit harder to get rid of - same reason why it's advised to leave a little pressure in Scuba tanks when storing them. At least that's what I've been led to believe - I'll check out that link soon as you can find it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.