ubacs shirt

StretchWinters

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

eeer depends what the temp is on the day :)

at moment, id say maybe another layer, but everyone is different and the carriers do keep in some heat....and how hard you move on day

sat im aiming for Tshirt/ubacs/901 rig.....but moving around so wont be cold....better to be cold during safety breifing then you'll be fine during the game.....(someone else said that on here once)

eeer depends what the temp is on the day :)

at moment, id say maybe another layer, but everyone is different and the carriers do keep in some heat....and how hard you move on day

sat im aiming for Tshirt/ubacs/901 rig.....but moving around so wont be cold....better to be cold during safety breifing then you'll be fine during the game.....(someone else said that on here once)

True might take my helikon v2 in my bag just in case

• Supporters

Pussy.

;)

• Moderators

maybe a jumper and vest as well :)

layers are good!

• Supporters

Semi ;) EDIT: tbf every day this week it has either said on Sunday it will be pissing it down or sunny

:D only messing. I'd be wearing layers or staying at home. Although I have the excuse of being old.

• Moderators

yeah supposed to be went at Urban....luckily its lots of buildings with roofs so may be a few standoffs for dryness instead of capture the flag.....Saving Private Ryan tacticool games i think haha :)

January last year I played a game in -5C with 60mph bursts of wind. It wasn't fun and involved 7 layers and I never felt warm the whole day. The site was also terrible.

Last weekend however I took both a Ubacs and underarmour thermal shirt and camo top and ended up wearing the UBACs. The cross over point for me seems to be around 10C but everyone is different and I tend to prefer it colder than most people.

• Moderators

T shirt and ubacs today at UA, cold with wind at times but ok :)

• Supporters

If you're ever in doubt (heck even if not) you just bring a few layers, then you'll be able to dress up or down for whatever you encounter.

PCs keep in tons of heat, any sort of rig that has a lot of coverage and isn't made of mesh will do that. If you can get a light softshell (don't go insulated, that ruins the entire layering concept) that'll block wind (the biggest chill factor usually) and some rain. Then just pack some sort of hoodie/jumper/fleece for insulation and maybe a rain coat if you've got a drab coloured one and intend to carry on playing even if it's raining hard outdoors. Then everything's covered. If you've got some sort of thin thermal layer or any other surplus apparel then obviously that can go in to the mix; issued stuff is pretty good, comes in drab colours and goes cheap on ebay. Great way to pick up some base/mid level insulation items that are suited for the task but won't cost a lot.

If you're ever in doubt (heck even if not) you just bring a few layers, then you'll be able to dress up or down for whatever you encounter.

PCs keep in tons of heat, any sort of rig that has a lot of coverage and isn't made of mesh will do that. If you can get a light softshell (don't go insulated, that ruins the entire layering concept) that'll block wind (the biggest chill factor usually) and some rain. Then just pack some sort of hoodie/jumper/fleece for insulation and maybe a rain coat if you've got a drab coloured one and intend to carry on playing even if it's raining hard outdoors. Then everything's covered. If you've got some sort of thin thermal layer or any other surplus apparel then obviously that can go in to the mix; issued stuff is pretty good, comes in drab colours and goes cheap on ebay. Great way to pick up some base/mid level insulation items that are suited for the task but won't cost a lot.

What title is the subject material under for reading more about standardised layering of clothing for outdoor purposes? I'd like to know more but I don't know what to search for.

• Head Moderator

What title is the subject material under for reading more about standardised layering of clothing for outdoor purposes? I'd like to know more but I don't know what to search for.

Not sure if I ever read up on it, no internet back in the day, but was taught importance of layering, hydration, symptoms of hyperthermia and hypothermia, keeping dry, etc. Much is based on experience; anyone can be cold and uncomfortable.

Try these links:

http://knowledge.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/layering-system-guide

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert-advice/the-layering-system

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/layering-system-guide

Tshirt, base layer or UBACS all year round. Think I have played 1 game in a soft shell.

Last game I played was -1/-2 and I was still sweating.

• Supporters

The yanks issue something called PCU to their SF, it's a lot better than PCS overall, though since the transition from CS95 we have improved slightly; google up the poster explaining it and read some good reviews on different PCU level items and you'll learn a ton about the optimal apparel for inclement conditions. I find it particularly useful to pay attention to the specific fabrics used in the different garments, then you can read the product descriptions on other apparel items and see if they'll have the properties you're looking for.

The primary thing people don't realise however is that a good cold weather clothing system does not include conventional camo clothes at all. Poly/cotton or nylon/cotton are what's used in almost all the uniforms we mostly wear, but "cotton is rotten" (phrase I think of a lot lately) and is to be avoided as far as operating in cold, rain, wind and show. It's very cold to the touch when wet, whereas certain wools and 100% nylon and a few other technical fabrics don't suffer that issue. On top of that, cotton is incredibly slow to dry compared to good softshell, and speed of drying is probably one of the number one characteristics to look for in bad-weather gear. It's extremely hard to stop yourself ever getting wet, be it from rain or snow outside or your sweat from the inside; so drying out when you can is the key.

Essentially, what you do in inclement conditions is swap your normal camo for Level 5 (softshell) jacket and trousers (again, nothing fleece lined), maintaining an appropriate base layering underneath it. The key attribute to look for is breathability so that your sweat will wick away through the layers; along with wind and water resistance. But absolutely never believe any manufacturers product description at face value. They'll throw around claims about stuff being 'waterproof' which are total and utter lies resulting from the technical definition of waterproof being incredibly loose and easy to meet.

The links jedi posted are really good, combining some reading on mountaineering layering with military stuff will lead to a sound understanding of what constitutes a good piece of apparel within a system that can keep you comfortable in the widest range of conditions possible.

Tshirt, base layer or UBACS all year round. Think I have played 1 game in a soft shell.

Last game I played was -1/-2 and I was still sweating.

Personally, I never wear a T under a combat shirt because, as popular as that's become, it's not the way it's meant to be done for various reasons. T-shirt under a conventional camo shirt makes sense in certain situations when not running a vest or armour, but the whole idea of the lighter fabric on the torso of a combat shirt is to allow wearing it next to skin.

Don't get me wrong though I'm just using this example to raise a point, if you find it comfortable then I'd never tell you how to run your own gear, everyone has their own experiences and reasons for doing things.

Christ I meant I wear either a tshirt, a base layer or a UBACS. I get way to hot to have more than one layer on.

• Supporters

Christ I meant I wear either a tshirt, a base layer or a UBACS. I get way to hot to have more than one layer on.

Ah, I read it as "this, then this over the top"; that makes more sense.

I'm the same, when I see people with 2 or more layers under a PC in the height of the July heat I really find it strange. I've seen smocks, hoodies, beanie hats, you name it and I'm there sweating buckets in just a thin combat shirt. I get that some people just want the look or their bodies just run colder, but when you see loads of them at a game it's hard to imagine that absolutely all of them are the same in that respect.

• Moderators

the combat shirt is a wicker material, to take the sweat away, similar to dry fit, isn't that right? :unsure:

my under t-shirt is normally the same dry fit material, infact, Nike dryfit, that's my limit to layers really, never need anymore

• Supporters

The central torso fabric on most combat shirts will be something thin and designed to be cool, comfortable and fast at wicking moisture. It varies a lot by brand though, cheaper ones that would be terrible to wear in real combat will have a non flame-resistant synthetic fabric that's actually better in a lot of ways for airsoft usage because it transports sweat more quickly.

Best UBACS I had was an issued flame retardant MTP one. Got it for free and it was mega comfy.

Shame I hate all things MTP/MC! (Apart from my lightweight gortex!)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.