Anyone into photography here?

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am lol.

I'm planning to take a picture of a star trail, which will need some photoshop editing.. But, should be good.

One thing I've realised is that for this picture, I'll need the camera taking constant pictures for 30 minutes.

The shutter speed will be at 30 sec, aperture and ISO will be set. So after the first picture is taken, the camera will need to take another pic, and so on, till 30 minutes or so have gone by.

How can I get the camera to keep taking pictures, I know there's like some remote things, but meh. If I hold the 'take the picture' button for 30 mins that would work right? I'd use duct tape to hold it down maybe..

Thanks.

• Supporters

I have a degree in photography (not recommended as a career path, I didn't make any money!) so I think I can probably help here.

What you need for this sort of thing is a half decent DSLR, a tripod and a remote for the camera (it isn't 100% required but it's REALLY helpful). Set the aperture of your camera really narrow (like f25 or so, bigger the number, smaller the aperture) and make sure your lens is in manual focus. Then you need to put the camera into 'bulb' mode (this will make the shutter stay open as long as the button is pushed... this is why you need the remote!). Make sure your ISO setting is as low as you can reasonably go and snap away :)

The longer you leave the shutter open the longer your star trails will be, experiment with your f-stops as too high will give you an underexposed image and too low will overexpose. Since the black bits in between stars (on a clear night) are actually the complete absence of light you should get really good contrast. A few hours worth of 4-5 minute exposures composited together can look really cool, some remotes have a bulb & timer function built in which will do it for you.

Thanks cheese, I know how it worked, was just unsure on some things, thanks for helping out on what bulb mode was, I had no clue what that function was.

I'll head out tommorow, maybe take some long exposure sea pics or star trails... I don't know :P

Thanks a lot.

Often overlooked, moisture in the air can leave droplets, very small ones on the lens as its pointing upwards.

Also if its cold leave the camera and lenses outside for a few airs before your planned shoot. lets them sdjust to the temp from a warm house to cold air and that will stop them fogging up.

Ive not done star trails but did a similar setup for fire works night

Link to show some other stuff ive done http://www.photoboxgallery.com/barnaby/6636730

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.