The Division BETA

SgtTalbert

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thought I would upload some screenshots I took during The Division Beta

http://imgur.com/a/CdasX

Really enjoyed the Beta - looking forward to full release

Cheers,
Tal

• Root Admin

Played about 4 hours of it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it's an MMO just like Destiny. I was kind of hoping it'd be a little more innovative, and whilst the dark zone bits were kinda fun with friends it all comes back to the inevitable grind for better DPS over legitimate strategy and an actual skill curve like some of the other multiplayer survival RPGs out there.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it, but to me it just seems like another MMO time-sink and that's not what I'm after. I just thought that worth mentioning because it's the reason why I paid a little more on that Humble Bundle for a beta key: To see if their initial trailer was true to it being more survival-y and with an emphasis on cautious PvP and PvE, but it isn't - the enemies are bullet-sponges, as are the players. It's unfortunate because it does take you out of it when it takes 10-20 headshots to kill another player with the assault rifles, and it's hard to suspend disbelief at that point like with games set in the future with space guns and shields and the like.

Also, whilst the graphics are clearly better than the Xbox and PS4 versions, it's still been downgraded visually. That was a bit of a pity too because there's no excuse for client-side detail to be lowered even in an MMO. It is Ubisoft though so to be expected I suppose.

Won't be buying, but it seems like a solid MMO if that's what one's in to.

I get what you mean and tbh, I myself do not normally enjoy games like that (normally as I don't have enough time to put the effort in etc...) however, this has grabbed me for some reason. I do know that they reduced the AI element of the beta (Dark Zone...more AI will roam the streets rather than just standing there etc...)

I didn't find the AI were so much bullet sponges, however, actual player characters did take more of an aimed shot to take them down, again, however, didn't really notice it take that many bullets to take them down.

I also enjoyed the added tension around extraction, especially when there were a few players milling about!

I've gone all in on this game and ordered the sleeper agent edition even before I had played the beta.

Fingers crossed my faith will be rewarded :)

Pre-ordering anything on PC these days? Especially from Ubisoft. You're a braver man than I.

I'll be honest...I've never had an issue....Farcry 1-4, Splinter Cell etc.... No issues with the Beta either in terms of performace

Maybe I've jinxed it but hey...

I played it, enjoyed it for the few days I played it, but won't be paying full price.

I can see it getting very repetitive before long re: the PvP aspect, was already getting bored by Sunday.

Would like to see the storyline & related parts though.

• Root Admin

Well today Ubisoft just announced they're putting an undisclosed amount of monthly events behind their season pass (£30). This is exactly why I don't preorder from companies that make such cold and calculated moves (such as this) when it comes to vidya games.

Thankfully my version comes with the season pass....although saying that, if I enjoy a game, I have no qualms about buying a season pass, much like Battlefield, unless you wait months and months, its cheaper to buy a season pass than buying the DLC elements separately.

Everyone can have an opinion and buy or not buy whatever they wish...however, I'm surprised people still moan....most companies do it

• Root Admin

Lord knows I have no problem with spending money on games, but this withholding of the details of their DLC is just far too - as I put it - cold for my liking. It's a business and they're there to make money but the reason they leave these details until the last possible minute is so the minimise the possibility that you'll have an excuse not to buy it. If people stopped pre-ordering then they'd need to be more honest and that's good for the consumer.

Pre-purchases just don't make any sense to me: Games like this cannot afford to give one any significant advantage for doing so in the name of balancing, so it's nothing but pure loyalty or perhaps lack of restraint that makes people pre-order a copy of something that's never going to go out of stock.

Pre-ordering used to be a way of guaranteeing your copy of a game, but these days it's a market in itself and one that relies very heavily on marketing and careful, co-ordinated PR strategies that cost a lot of money in themselves. You only need to look at CD Project Red to see what a real studio is capable of technologically and conceptually when they're clear about what they're selling from the start.

Again I must bring up the 'it's my money I can do what I want with it' is a really lazy argument to make because that absolutely goes without saying. Spend your money on what makes you happy, but the way I see pre-ordering from publicly traded companies like Ubisoft is always going to be tainted because ultimately the balance of getting your money vs. quality of product is out of whack.

In this day and age you have to vote with your wallet and you cannot do that without knowing what's in the game first - when they're not even telling you the full story then what chance do you have as a consumer?

• Supporters

I really liked the beta and i'll definitely be playing a lot more when the game releases.

I'm not keen on the announcement that season pass holders will get exclusive monthly events and it remains to be seen how good the anti cheat will be on the PC version.

Personally I buy games I enjoy and try not to get too jaded by the practices in the industry as it diminishes my enjoyment of gaming and it isn't something I have any control over. It's certainly interesting to discuss though.

• Root Admin

It's tricky and I completely understand why people pre-order - these are games and are a casual pasttime that people don't want to get wrapped up in the politics of.

Recently it's been getting silly though. Watchdogs is a great example of a company overly-withholding information about their product to drive sales.

• Supporters

I rewrote my original post but there i'd mentioned how I don't feel there's a trustworthy source for game reviews these days. I used to read PC Zone but unfortunately that closed down years ago, so now I just buy games if they pique my interest. I don't mean this in a conspiratorial cash for good reviews way either, I just don't agree with points I see most games journalists make.

One of the biggest problems is people won't stop supporting devs that gouge every penny out of their customers. EA must be laughing all the way to the bank with people spending hundreds, or even thousands trying to unlock a certain player in FIFA. Plus people support "well they are a company they are there to make money" which isn't really a valid argument. Yep you can treat your customers like crap because money, seems reasonable, hopefully all businesses will follow this model...

Fortunately though some devs realise that generating goodwill amongst their playerbase can be very beneficial, as you mention CD Projekt Red get it and I really like what Psyonix have done with Rocket League.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.