Teeth shot out

AirsoftgoesAli

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Whenever you get on to the topic of lower face protection and wether to wear it or not the first thing that comes to people's heads is getting teeth shot out.

So I want to know how likely is it to get your teeth shot out and is it worth the comfort of no lower face?

I run with a small lower face mesh protecter and glasses but most of my mates don't use lower face. Is there any point in wearing the lower mesh?

Also on a side note someone told me that wearing glasses and lower face mesh is risky because the bbs can bounce of it and under the glasses into your eye, is this true?

Thank you.

Whenever you get on to the topic of lower face protection and wether to wear it or not the first thing that comes to people's heads is getting teeth shot out.

So I want to know how likely is it to get your teeth shot out and is it worth the comfort of no lower face?

I run with a small lower face mesh protecter and glasses but most of my mates don't use lower face. Is there any point in wearing the lower mesh?

Also on a side note someone told me that wearing glasses and lower face mesh is risky because the bbs can bounce of it and under the glasses into your eye, is this true?

Thank you.

there are plenty of vids online of people getting teeth shot out, i always wear protection. i bet gettign shot on the lip kills aswell

• Head Moderator

Protection of my teeth and lips is nearly as important as my eye protection. Found it rather painful getting shot on full auto at close range just above my mouth and across my nose; a properly fitting mesh mask is worth it. Whether you want to wear one or not is a matter of personal choice, I mainly play CQB so do not want split lips or dentist bills. I actually prefer wearing my Dye i4 mask.

• Supporters

About 2years ago at a local site to me, mid game, a u18 removed the lower part of what looked to be a solid full face mask, literally 10secs later he poked his head round a corner and took a bb to the face and lost most of a front tooth (it may have been fixed I don't know). He took the lower part off, out of sight of everyone.

This person had played before, had sat through multiple safety briefings, it was the first time he had done such a thing.

I always wear a lower mesh mask as you never know what can happen

I've got a helmet cam video of a guy next to me getting his tooth shot out. Still makes me cringe when I watch it back. Personally I'm not a fan of having a mesh lower face mask, as I find them really uncomfortable, but I wear a motorcyclists neck-warmer style thing that I slide up over my mouth whenever I'm heading into an area where the other team are. Means I can pull it down for briefings and jogs back to the safe-zone. Just a personal preference, but it works for me.

About the goggles thing, I'd say just go for sealed ones. I don't think I'd feel fully protected with gaps around the edges of my glasses, lower mask or not.

I have moved onto a combo between Greg147's pull up face cover and I keep a mask in a utility pouch in case we move to building clearance / cqb. On the two occasions I have run with out any lower face pro I have taken a few direct hits to the pie hole. Not lost any teeth thankfully but it Fookin hurts like hell.

A chum I go to the bunker with never runs face pro and as he opened his mouth to call his hit the guy continued to shoot him on full auto and split his tongue, knocked a back tooth out and got a hairline fracture to his lower jaw bone.

• Head Moderator

A chum I go to the bunker with never runs face pro and as he opened his mouth to call his hit the guy continued to shoot him on full auto and split his tongue, knocked a back tooth out and got a hairline fracture to his lower jaw bone.

Now that is Up Close And Personal; playing down in The Bunker is hardcore.

I'm tired and knackered so havent read the thread, my opinions are as follows

I tend to not wear face pro (but also rarely skirmish these days) when I DO play. I had a tooth shot out about 2 years ago. Just the top off a front one, got it fixed and never thought more of it.

Sadly, it (without realising) damaged the nerve ending and the inside of the tooth has died.

I am currently on my 3rd course of antibiotics for a tooth abcess that began hurting on Christmas day last year (38 days ago at time of writing) and have been in constant pain (on a scale of 1-10 my constant pain is about 6) since then.

non stop

for 38 days.

That wears you down.

Add into that a few days of pain '10' (or the worst pain you've ever had) where some lovely, lovely, slightly woozey feeling tramadol brought that pain down to a 3ish and you realise that yeah. I should probably have worn face protection.

The cost is irrelevant

The slightly annoying mask-rubbing rifle cheek rest is irrelevant

Being in this much pain gives you the answer you need.

As the price is relatively the same....do you recommend the steel mouth mesh mask or would a lower mesh be better??

I honestly think some people forgo a face mask because they think it makes them look tough and more tacticool, these people are idiots.

That calls for a be like bill meme!!!

I must say i instantly ditched my hired full face mask in favour or some ballistic glasses and a mesh face mask. Took a hit pretty much straight away to the face mask from pretty close range. £15 well spent.

The other thing im considering is getting a snood or something and one of those sew in mesh sheilds because i do find even the lower face masks a bit uncomfortable.

Having been hit in the mouth (several times plus somehow had 2 bb's in my mouth ??) Hit on the lips, nose & cheeks. I always wear a lower mesh mask cable ties to my goggles (especially in CQB situations)

I've made it comfy enough for me & will take that over style & form everyday

The briefing at the Mall on Sunday said they have a tooth related mishap once every three weeks on average. I haven't experienced it there myself but can definitely believe it.

I always wear a lower mesh. When I bought the one I have it came with sticky foam you could cut to size which helped with the comfort issue, though some of it is starting to peel away.

I will always recommenend full face protection for airsoft wether people play indoors or outdoors, I know people who have had teeth shot out & now where lower masks (all be it a little late)

I played Sunday in close quarter environment in an old RAF base & luckily no one had any mishaps (apart from falling over lol)

I always opt for full face protection, first time I ever skirmished I was twatted in the face a few times, and you know what, it hurt! So I was keen to avoid that for subsequent visits.

At our local site, one of the marshals lost a tooth due to a stray BB. I know people tend to not wear the masks, but that's not for me, can't imagine anything worse than having a tooth shot out & the next day looking like Cletus the slack jawed yokel from the Simpsons.

• Supporters

Woodland and milsim I'll wear a gum shield to protect my teeth (get one made by a dentist, a £5 boil and bite from sports direct might not cut it!) as I'm not that bothered about getting welts on my face most of the time. Getting shot in the lip REALLY fucking hurts though.

For CQB it's full face every time, not a mix of glasses and lower mesh, full face. I tried glasses and lower mesh and had a number of instances of BBs hitting the top of the mesh and finding a gap below my glasses. Never took a hit to my actual eyeball but got close enough that I wasn't comfortable with it anymore.

WEAR ONE

Yes teeth do get shot out!

it happened to our site because the guy cant see throught his scope with one on, but that was after his tooth got shot out.

- It will save you money on your dentist bill.

- When you smile you won't look like a tool after getting shot out.

- Could be painful? (I always wear a mask)

Then again its your choice!

• Supporters

I use a small mesh that only covers the mouth. I wear it lowered when out of range / no contact but as soon as there is a possible contact, I pull it up. When lowered it is hidden in the shemag, and I can pull it up even without using my hands.

With no shemag because of dresscode:

S1031922.JPG

• Supporters

Yes. The rubber around the mesh is hard to find, but I saw someone made a nearly identical thing from a chinese mesh mask. Supposedly you can use a hairdryer to soften the glue and remove the thing around the edges then cut the mask to size with tin snips. I use an elastic strap around my neck, not the top of the head as with normal masks.

how likely is it to get your teeth shot out

My close friend was ALWAYS playing with full face cover. Just this once he lent it out to his gf and played with eyepros.

is it worth the comfort of no lower face

Ask anyone who had a tooth replaced. For me it was fairly straight forward, some pain, few dentist appointments, a bunch of cash and a forever weakened discoloured front tooth (the one that wasn't knocked out). This was due to a traffic accident thou. My gentleman friend wasn't so lucky. First they tried to mend it.. then it fell out. Then I think they tried to replace it and the replacement fell out. Took well over a year, loads of hassle, pain, and cash until he had a decent replacement.

Don't be an idiot - or go ahead, it doesn't really affect me.

P.S. As for using gum shield. Maybe it's effective, maybe its not, but they are generally not designed to take a 6mm bullet at 1J, and a lot of them are only for your upper teeth - people have had their lower shot out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.