Hertfordshire - Potential new site - Market Research

RussAFO
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I definitely agree with the shooting range; somewhere to properly set kit up before starting the day (I don't have the means to do it before I arrive, so would be really helpful for me). Additionally, I'd say a focus on cutting waiting times to a minimum would be nice. Often I see sites overrun their start times by struggling to get everyone through the chromo and muster them for the safety briefing in time.

(Food would be nice too, but I'm happy with frankfurters in a bun personally :P)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also in Stevenage, and there is another 5 of us that all live in Stevenage, and we'd probably be happy to come and help with any building or other works.

I think the important part is community. A good, active Facebook group is great. Don't go banning things, post up and see what people say, same for rules, always be willing to adapt them from players feedback.

One that would be good to see is maybe a few hours on a Saturday as a range day, maybe charge a few quid for people to turn up and do fettling, hop up etc etc.

Food and drink I'm not too fussed about...I don't see the difficulty in bringing a packed lunch. I saw another site recently just ordered in 20 pizzas or so from a local takeaway and sold them st £1.50 a slice which was a fairly good idea.

Toilets would be good.

Decent safe zone shelter for the miserable or sunny days.

I also think it's important to make people start booking in before they turn up, gives you a rough idea of numbers, and also means you can stop it becoming over crowded. Went to a site recently where they had unprecedented numbers, and unfortunately it was one of the worst days airsofting I've had.

Other than that, decent cover, decent game ideas, with fair marshalls and owners, great!

Offering affordable collection from local rail (or from the nearest bus stop to the site) services would certainly bring more players, either by running it directly or sorting out a deal with a local taxi service.

I know of four airsoft sites, which I personally cannot reach because they are 1-3KM from public transport.

I'm pretty much on the same page as the others:

- Shop with consumables

- Drinks/Snacks for sale

- Lit, covered safe zone

- Friendly & Fair marshalling team

- Perhaps one long game (after lunch through to the end of the day) and two shorter games (from the beginning of the day through to lunch)

- Long & Clear shooting range with marked distances

I'm based in Watford and would be happy to come up and help with construction of any of this.

Slightly controversial this might be.

Regulars only games not more than 12 times a year. No hires, nobody new to the site, advanced booking only. Not enough occurrences to pull the regulars away from the normal game days.

I am not advocating a charging membership scheme, just give free membership people that have played at least twice every 60 days for the last 180 days.

And that brings me to an important point, free UKARA administration.

• Head Moderator

I do not mind paid membership, my UCAP one is only £12 for the year so reasonable. If the site is UKARA registered that can be a plus, and agree with the free administration for it.

I like the idea of under 18s occasionally having their own game day seperate from over 18s.

Also holding the main game day on the Saturday, that would allow airsofters the opportunity to play at two sites over a weekend.

• Moderators

Slightly controversial this might be.

Regulars only games not more than 12 times a year. No hires, nobody new to the site, advanced booking only. Not enough occurrences to pull the regulars away from the normal game days.

I am not advocating a charging membership scheme, just give free membership people that have played at least twice every 60 days for the last 180 days.

And that brings me to an important point, free UKARA administration.

I like that the idea of regs meeting up more often,

I thought UKARA was free admin, I never paid any fees??

• Head Moderator

Same is true of Sunday? :wacko:

Alternating could be good though.

I do not know the percentage of sites that are open Saturday compared to Sunday, having only been to Sunday games and not carried out any research about it, but my assumption is that the majority of sites are open on Sunday. Therefore, having the option of a Saturday game would be most welcome.

Some players have to work on weekends and have family commitments which will limit the number of Sunday games they are able to attend. Nothing to do with pecuniary privilage, simply having the opportunity to play two days over a free weekend which is the same as someone who plays 2 games over different weekends (so both cost the same).

• Head Moderator
I thought UKARA was free admin, I never paid any fees??

No, there are some (exploitative) sites that charge an admin fee to complete your UKARA paperwork.

Some shelter in the SafeZone!

I don't mind gettig soggy and wet when it comes to playing in the field. But when it's lunch/or storing kit - it's always nice to have some shade or shelter from the rain.

Nothing fancy, but a gazeebo to get under would make the world of difference IMHO. :-)

• Moderators

No, there are some (exploitative) sites that charge an admin fee to complete your UKARA paperwork.

I see, have seen a few from various links on here, its a bit of paper with most of it filled by 'you', FFZ just did less than 24hrs later! :)......ok they have had quite a bit off me since October! haha

• Head Moderator

A good quality website is important, often the first impression counts and so you need to make it user friendly and keep it updated. I for one do not do facebook, so without a website for your site I would not attend. This is an example of a good website http://www.bushvalleyairsoft.co.uk/

• Moderators

good one Jedi, not on FB either so rely on websites for info.

and a website that's kept up to date as well, :)

• Supporters

I will second a lot that has already been said,

Some shelter in the safezone. Stocked with the simple items and consumables you would expect, pyro, gas, bbs, gloves, hats, eye and face protection. Toilet facilities. A small selection of snacks and drinks etc, if you want to offer lunch I would suggest this is something simple that can be done in bulk. For the most part I take my own lunch so might buy a drink and a chocolate bar possibly.

In the safezone I would include a well lit and stable workshop bench with a selection of common sized tools, Allen keys etc. Maybe even access to a soldering station. For fettling and running repairs.

A decent range area, as said before, lanes, with targets at known distances for people to test kit.

An efficient chrono system (eg ask regulars to chrono on arrival mark the passes then kit up, others can chrono as and when or on the way out to the field, or and I understand that this might be controversial you offer chrono's at a range and conduct lots of random spot checks as and when people pass a marshal, marking guns that have passed). Use a proper conversion chart and players own ammo, rather than standardise for a set mass eg 0.20g due to Joule creep. Either that or put a few rounds in with a speed loader.

Trusted marshals, remember briefings should be kept simple and brief especially safety briefs, there is nothing wrong with a script or a check list but keep it as short as possible, I hate spending an hour kitting up and in chrono get all set to play then have to stand around for a 20 to 30 min safety briefing.

Interesting and varied games. Your marshals and players are the key, players often have great ideas of games. I suggested to one site owner that he might like to run a simple competition for game ideas after his game days became very predictable. Competition entries could be emailed and they would use a set formula/layout and ultimately could be printed onto cards that could be laminated. Save your marshals scratching their heads during and between games to come up with the next objectives. And for a free game or a bag of bbs per winning entry you might find people willing to share.

Accurate maps of the site! And by accurate I mean not an aerial photo copied from Google earth. An actual topographic map with local points of interest would be very helpful (ie the bunker and trench systems you mention wanting to build). You can get apps that can do this. The ability to move using a map and compass would be helpful especially to those new to your site. Large maps for briefing, maybe on a board, smaller copies for new players and a downloadable copy on your uber fancy website (I'm a teacher with access to my own laminator, waterproof maps make me happy!)

Being from Hitchin, and the games in Welwyn only being once a month, another close site would be really, really welcome. All points i have were all made above. :)

Fantastic news that a new site could be opening near Stevenage,

I am the owner of Combat-UK Airsoft shop in Broadwater Crescent, so if there is anything you need such as rental weapons pyro etc etc drop me a line on 01438 362922 and I will try to help out as much as I can.

Also happy to promote and send customers your way so please drop some info in such as game dates and leaflets etc etc.

Good luck and hope to see it up and running soon

Combat-UK

Oh god yes - actually websites are a big one. Having a solid FAQ and nice pictures saves you a lot of silly e-mails asking about different fps limits and the like.

Planning on a simple, well thought out website.

Gentleman

Really appreciate the feedback thus far. I'm in agreement with you on most of the points made. My only concern so far is the size of the site. In that I would need to feel some trees to in order to create better parking and better safe zone facilities, I would then lose some play area. However thats not out of the question. Thoughts on size of playing area ? My feeling is that I hate to wander around for ages being taken to FOB's or Firebases before the games get under way. Another time waster in my opinion.

My team have experience of real tactical briefings, very aware of keeping that short and sweet, also very much a sense of fair play... but like a laugh.

I am looking at converted containers, or military buses with the seating ripped out as covered safe zones. These will have lighting. Cost dependant of course !

Earlier on proffrink and Jedi_Master mentioned that the site needs clean toilets, without sounding like an advert, our portable toilets serve that area and they do a service every week. I too know the pain of going to a bad toilet after a stag-doo party has obliterated it for everyone else, wish some sites would service more often. :(

Anyway to contribute:-
Good Marshals - Call a hit
Mixture of bush and constructed cover
Decent price cup of tea
Bacon :wub:
Some close contact / high risk indoor advantage points
LOW price loyalty system for cheap rounds.
This is out there but how about Live Streaming some games?

• Head Moderator

I would need to fell some trees to in order to create better parking and better safe zone facilities, I would then lose some play area. However thats not out of the question. Thoughts on size of playing area ? My feeling is that I hate to wander around for ages being taken to FOB's or Firebases before the games get under way. Another time waster in my opinion

I think it is definately worth losing a few trees to improve the site, and the felled timber can be used to build barricades, bunkers, etc. I believe that the UCAP GreenOps site is about 40 acres, so not a large site, but is big enough to have varied games. No start point was more than 5 minutes walk from the safe zone so not too far. Playing 10 per side was great and game area can be adapted to suit.

Site size (if designed well) is not that important. I go to Matlock and that is 30 acres and always have great game days there.

I'm currently in talks with the land owner and all being well this site should become live. We have some help from Ed at Combat UK retail in Stevenage who will be supporting this project. I urge you to visit his shop and buy your goodies. I have taken on board all of your above points and we will try and accommodate these as much as possible...but as they say..'You can't please all of the people...etc etc'

Ill be keeping you informed and post FB Pages, Website etc as they come online. Please bear with us while we make the site ready and look for test game days at reduced prices for local players. I also may call on some of you if we need some help in construction. I'm sure you will be well rewarded.

Cheers

Russ

Earlier on proffrink and Jedi_Master mentioned that the site needs clean toilets, without sounding like an advert, our portable toilets serve that area and they do a service every week. I too know the pain of going to a bad toilet after a stag-doo party has obliterated it for everyone else, wish some sites would service more often. :(

Anyway to contribute:-

Good Marshals - Call a hit

Mixture of bush and constructed cover

Decent price cup of tea

Bacon :wub:

Some close contact / high risk indoor advantage points

LOW price loyalty system for cheap rounds.

This is out there but how about Live Streaming some games?

Good Marshals will be a priority for us. We want a fair and fun game site.

Lots of natural cover, construction to start soon.

Free tea and coffee !!

Cold drinks, crisps and snacks, hot food at fair prices.

Considering a trench system, high points for snipers.

Loyalty schemes and membership.

Ill speak to my techie guy about that...!!

Appreciate the input.

Archived