Lipo Batteries

Alex34

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just out of curiousity, what is the largest lipo battery (mah) you have used on your AEG?

Also what's the highest C rating you've used?

I have quite a few RC batteries that are anywhere from 5000mah to 8000mah and 50c to 70c... thinking of a possible mod to my crane stock to support carrying them.

I think the max advisable C rating would be about 35...I don't know much about electrics / batteries in general but I think anything mad like 50-70 would be too much for an airsoft gun?

Optimum 'C' rating from what I've heard is 25.

• Supporters

I think the max advisable C rating would be about 35...I don't know much about electrics / batteries in general but I think anything mad like 50-70 would be too much for an airsoft gun?

Optimum 'C' rating from what I've heard is 25.

The gun will only draw as much current as the resistance of the wiring will allow. That said, it would allow the gun to achieve it's fullest potential just before bursting into flames and taking the soul of his first-bown. I say do it and post the video once he gets out of the burns ward.

Lol... it won't burst into flames.

C rating is what 'can' be discharged from the battery, not what 'will' be discharged from the battery. The motor/mosfet/controller will only draw what it can/needs.

• Supporters

Lol... it won't burst into flames.

C rating is what 'can' be discharged from the battery, not what 'will' be discharged from the battery. The motor/mosfet/controller will only draw what it can/needs.

I know. I was doing comedy.

Maybe I should change the title... I was looking to see what mods were out there for large battery packs in order to get some ideas.

It's a bit@h trying to find batteries higher than 20C that will fit inside the TM crane stock so was thinking of just using my RC batteries with a modified case or holder attached to the stock.

• Supporters

You can get pouches that attach to the stock but they look awful.

• Supporters

Maybe I should change the title... I was looking to see what mods were out there for large battery packs in order to get some ideas.

It's a bit@h trying to find batteries higher than 20C that will fit inside the TM crane stock so was thinking of just using my RC batteries with a modified case or holder attached to the stock.

Do you have the 416 with the M4 stock? The standard 416 stock will fit a 2600 mAh battery :P

If ya need more than 2600 then you need to learn to shoot straight lol

If you need to post this then maybe you need to re-read the last two posts. *Edit* lol. :-)

I've found a solution.

The battery will be external but is small enough to fit into a bottom corner of the stock, side saddling the adjustment latch. It sould be barely noticable when I'm finished with it.

http://www.vampire-racing.com/2000mah-50c-74v-118-micro-pack-lipo

I know there are some Turnigy airsoft batteries that are listed as 25C-50C but I've never had luck with Turnigy and I don't trust their specs.

post-10501-0-07566400-1454357886_thumb.jpg

• Head Moderator

Be interesting to know how 50C effects the performance.

Be interesting to know how 50C effects the performance.

I normally run 20C but after having the spectre installed and the motor upgraded the 20C seems to not be enough.

I'm estimating the mosfet and motor pulling about 30amps and my 20C batteries were only able to handle about 20amps constant.

When using my larger RC batteries versus my 20C airsoft batteries the difference is very noticeable. ROF and trigger response is quicker.

I haven't tried this 2000mah one yet but it should have the same results as the larger RC batteries, being that it can handle three times the amount of amps required.

This one is 50C constant. I use a lot of Vampire Racing products for my RC cars and they are very much a performance brand. I have 6 other Vampire batteries and trust the brand as I have used them for years. I just found out over the weekend they made this battery for micro RC cars.

It's always good to have a battery rated at least 2 times higer than the amperage you require (at least in RC it is)... especially when running an electronic controller/mosfet. I would think this will benefit airsoft applications as well.

• Supporters

Have deffo noticed difference in the "zest" or response in 20, 25 & 30c lipo's too

If a battery says 25-50c I have been told take it as 25c BTW

On a stock 18:1 setup 7.4v with a mental neodym...

30c can double fire on a 350fps full stroke setup

25c can over-run a little pre-cocking but single shot

20c will behave itself better.

RPS wise we are talking aprox 1 to maybe 1.5rps increase

per extra 5c's eg: 21 on 20c to 24+rps on 30c

Please note this aprox as it was noticed on different boxed/guns with a mix of bushings & bearings in most

But if a lipo says 30c - its 30c

If I says 25c-50c take it as 25c not something in between

If you want 30 or 35 then get one that says 35c on it

I like zippy compact ones they seem to perform very well and usually are a smidge smaller than turnigy lipo's of same spec.

Got a few zippys 2200mah 25c plus some others that have provided quite a bit of punch when required

Not really tried much beyond 30c Kong one

Well that is my lipo experience except blowing one up in the house

Have deffo noticed difference in the "zest" or response in 20, 25 & 30c lipo's too

If a battery says 25-50c I have been told take it as 25c BTW

On a stock 18:1 setup 7.4v with a mental neodym...

30c can double fire on a 350fps full stroke setup

25c can over-run a little pre-cocking but single shot

20c will behave itself better.

RPS wise we are talking aprox 1 to maybe 1.5rps increase

per extra 5c's eg: 21 on 20c to 24+rps on 30c

Please note this aprox as it was noticed on different boxed/guns with a mix of bushings & bearings in most

But if a lipo says 30c - its 30c

If I says 25c-50c take it as 25c not something in between

If you want 30 or 35 then get one that says 35c on it

I like zippy compact ones they seem to perform very well and usually are a smidge smaller than turnigy lipo's of same spec.

Got a few zippys 2200mah 25c plus some others that have provided quite a bit of punch when required

Not really tried much beyond 30c Kong one

Well that is my lipo experience except blowing one up in the house

I agree with you on the above, however, I have yet to blow a lipo up :-).

I doubt you will experience much difference above 30C as your motor will have a limit of amps it can draw from 7.4v.

A good thing you have pointed out is there will be differences with setups, etc. If your gun is stock I would stick with 25C as there is nothing to buffer or smooth the rps and you will most likely get over-run as you have experienced. Most mosfets will brake the motor where needed.

Also agree that "25C - 50C" is marketing malarky. Never trusted it and never will. Always go with a "constant" spec rather than a varied one.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.