Radio headset: standard pin and helmet attachment

TheGrover

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Me and a few mates use radios to keep in touch at skirmishes, but since we bought fairly entry-level PMR radios, they only come with a secret-service style air tube earpiece and cheapo ptt box, which makes getting communications over clearly a challenge, especially when someone is trying to give their position but needs to keep their voice down.

I was looking at options and like the idea of attaching a headset piece to my helmet rails, which gives a good quality earpiece and boom Mic. But after seeing abbreviations everywhere, I realised I know nothing, or even if the new stuff would connect to our low budget radios

I have a Twintalker 9500 (or something very similar) with what looks like a standard 2.5mm Jack plug for working two ways (speaker and Mic through the same line). Will this be the same as most headsets use? And if I'm doing away with the strap over the head to clip the cups onto my lid, can I do away with the side without the Mic as well, so one ear is free to listen out for stuff that isn't transmitted over the radio?

I get that they're probably stupid questions, but I really am clueless... Please don't relegate me to the Cow and Gate section :(

Thanks

I found (http://www.airsoftmadrid.com/foro/index.php?topic=74224.0) telling us its a Motorola plug. So any headset that has motorola compatibility should work with this radio. That will give you access to a lot of options.

try looking at element or z-tac headsets, they're the peltor clones that you can fix to the rails of your helmet and there should be one with the correct connector for your radio, I don't know which brand is better though as I don't use radio headsets just normal amplified ear pro. I have heard though that the element ones do not like water but that might be the same for the z tac as well, just have a look at both. As for having one side left off you needn't bother because what these type of headsets do is have microphones on the outside that can pick up ambient noise like people talking next to you but reduce noises like pyro going off to protect your hearing

try looking at element or z-tac headsets, they're the peltor clones that you can fix to the rails of your helmet and there should be one with the correct connector for your radio, I don't know which brand is better though as I don't use radio headsets just normal amplified ear pro. I have heard though that the element ones do not like water but that might be the same for the z tac as well, just have a look at both. As for having one side left off you needn't bother because what these type of headsets do is have microphones on the outside that can pick up ambient noise like people talking next to you but reduce noises like pyro going off to protect your hearing

ZTac are Element. And its a bit hit and miss, I submerged mine by accident and they were fine after being dried out. Whereas another had a bit of heavy rain pretty much destroy them.

Ah did not know that (: yeah that's the problem you never really know what you're getting I suppose, much like a lot of the stuff from china though really

If you want a really nice quality one go for something from code red headsets. They basically do something in all the possible options all the way up to bone conduction for about £150 and down to just a speaker with a ear piece. It will give you a good idea of what is available.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.