VFC HK416 or 417 first gun?

KristianTombs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I bought the 417 as my first brand new gun and it is awesome.

But, it's quite bulky, has a bit of weight to it and the mags are quite big and cost a bit more than the 416/M4 mags. Also you'll need to buy specific pouches for the 417 mags as they will not fit into the smaller 416/M4 mag pouches. That said, I love my 417 and would only let it go for a gas 417.

I would say if you're just starting out a 416 would give you more options going forwards. It's a bit more adaptable.

• Head Moderator

The HK416 is shorter so easier to manouvre in tight CQB environment but nothing to stop you using either one. As has already been said the 416 magazine will fit in more magazine pouches, standard size for fixed pouches on most chest rig / plate carriers.

I thought that the VFC / Umarex guns were in the £400-450 price range.

• Supporters

The HK416 is shorter so easier to manouvre in tight CQB environment but nothing to stop you using either one. As has already been said the 416 magazine will fit in more magazine pouches, standard size for fixed pouches on most chest rig / plate carriers.

I thought that the VFC / Umarex guns were in the £400-450 price range.

The difference in size isnt huge. The 417 is still plenty manoeuvrable its no worse than a short m4 with a suppressor.

You can get both guns for under £380 but still over £300 though.

Pouches are not that hard to get as similar size as Scar H mags.

417 looks so much better with the big mag same as scar h looks better than scar l.

Would be better buying a second hand tm hk 416/417 than the vfc though.

• Supporters

I've tracked down a couple prepared for cheaper. Does anyone have any other recommendations that top the 416/417?

All input greatly appreciated :)

Yeah check out;

TM

Krytac

Ics

Bolt

Pts ERG

Real sword

All better makes of guns that will serve you better than VFC. As for which model its an airsoft gun not a real one so its all about aesthetics.

Would you care to elaborate?

I mean the fact it's an assault rifle as opposed to a marksman rifle it's a bit more suited to everything and is more 'adaptable' I'm that sense. So in my eyes as a starting rifle it would be the better option of the two.

• Supporters

I mean the fact it's an assault rifle as opposed to a marksman rifle it's a bit more suited to everything and is more 'adaptable' I'm that sense. So in my eyes as a starting rifle it would be the better option of the two.

Err its an airsoft gun other than looks its not really any different.

As for adaptable, if you mean in a role sense its shorter than my Sig with my tracer or suppressor attached and I can use that for cqb or outdoors no problem.

As for best starter gun there is no such thing outside of budget constraints.

But yeah great advice. 👍

Yeah I get that it's just an airsoft toy. I suppose my advice was based on the assumption that the 417 being a DMR IRL would be a DMR in airsoft form.. but it appears my assumption was wrong. So ignore me.

• Head Moderator

Does anyone have any other recommendations that top the 416/417?

Now that will open up the floodgates!

The first guns that caught my eye were the HK416 ones by VFC Umarex due to the YouTube videos, and the range of different stocks. I like the idea of sliding / collapsable stock but the full stock has the advantage of simply dropping the battery into it instead of being front wired in a PEQ box. However, few people seemed to have VFC or rate them.

Although slightly more expensive the Tokyo Marui HK416 is a great gun out of the box, and I have not regretted buying one.

Not sure about VFC but there definitely is a weight difference between the TM 416 and 417. For CQB it's 416 for me. I've used both and tend to be less manueverable with the 417 (TM versions).

If you like the look of the 416/417 then TM would be top of the mark in terms of overall quality IMO. Whether you can stretch the difference in price is the only thing... it's worth it though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.