When should I buy my first gear?

EnragedOryx

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I am 14 and wanting to get into Airsoft but have never played the sport before. No-one in my family or I know has a valid defense to buy a RiF so I wont be getting one of them until I am 18. I was just wondering if I should buy equipment before I have ever played and what I should buy before/after playing for a while.

Can someone please correct me if I should be buying gear straight away or I should be waiting until after like 3 games.

Thanks.

Edited by Monty
No such thing as a license

I'm 15 and have the same problem so what I am doing is, whenever you have some money to got to an airsoft match and have some money left over buy some gear a little at a time. So do your research know what you want to get and save up. Look on ebay and find some cheap gear and buy whenever you can. Hope this helps

Hi,

I am 14 and wanting to get into Airsoft but have never played the sport before. No-one in my family or I know has a valid licence to buy a RiF so I wont be getting one of them until I am 18. I was just wondering if I should buy equipment before I have ever played and what I should buy before/after playing for a while.

Can someone please correct me if I should be buying gear straight away or I should be waiting until after like 3 games.

Thanks.

There is no license required to purchase an Airsoft RIF, however you need to be able to prove you are an adult airsoft player in order to buy one. However, any adult can buy a two-toned airsoft Imitation firearm from any online or retail airsoft store, just take your parents and say "I want that one". Two tone is only paint and has no function affect on your gun.

Read the sticky threads above. If renting for your first game you don't need anything. However you will be much better off, even if renting, if you have appropriate footwear, and a pair of gloves, furthermore a balaclava or some other neck covering will also help.

There is no license required to purchase an Airsoft RIF, however you need to be able to prove you are an adult airsoft player in order to buy one. However, any adult can buy a two-toned airsoft Imitation firearm from any online or retail airsoft store, just take your parents and say "I want that one". Two tone is only paint and has no function affect on your gun.

Read the sticky threads above. If renting for your first game you don't need anything. However you will be much better off, even if renting, if you have appropriate footwear, and a pair of gloves, furthermore a balaclava or some other neck covering will also help.

Don't you need a skirmishing licence to buy a RIF so you are on the UKARA system? And also would I be able to cover my gun with some kind of loose mesh so I could camouflage a bit as a bright green would probably give me away very quickly.

• Head Moderator

Welcome to the forum :) Being under 18 means that you will need to have full face protection, so either a full mask or combination of goggles and lower face mesh (protecting nose and mouth). I think that having your own eye protection is better than using rented ones because you can wear something that you like and know only has your sweat inside. There are lots of options to choose and a range of prices. Search on terms 'fogging', 'mask', 'mesh', and 'goggles' to see some of the threads on the subject and opinion of other players. You may want to try a few games first just to see if you like the hobby before buying your own kit.

• Head Moderator

Don't you need a skirmishing licence to buy a RIF so you are on the UKARA system? And also would I be able to cover my gun with some kind of loose mesh so I could camouflage a bit as a bright green would probably give me away very quickly.

This link from New Player Guides & Info is the FAQ on UKARA http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/1254-popular-ukara-questions/.

Read the pinned posts in New Players & Arrivals, it will help answer some questions you may have. http://www.airsoft-f...ayers-arrivals/

You're under 18, UKARA etc is for adults only, forget about it, it does not apply to you, and there is no point for you to spend any time thinking about it.

It alleviates problems which adults run into buying Realistic 'Imitation Firearms' - Non-adults cannot buy any 'Imitation Firearms'.

Two-tone guns, as I said above are purchasable by any adult, and that is the end of it.

You're under 18, UKARA etc is for adults only, forget about it, it does not apply to you, and there is no point for you to spend any time thinking about it.

It alleviates problems which adults run into buying Realistic 'Imitation Firearms' - Non-adults cannot buy any 'Imitation Firearms'.

Two-tone guns, as I said above are purchasable by any adult, and that is the end of it.

• Supporters

At the very least - play one game ffs

You might end up hating it - unlikely but you might.

Also sites do vary a bit too - some are more serious & others less (safety is still high priority)

So as you have never even played - COD & Youtube will only give you a rough idea

Actually trying to play is a LOT different than you could begin to imagine

Apart from all that, you will be running around like you haven't got a clue

covered in sweat & mud plus apart from all that you will have to quickly work as a team with people you have never met before

Most of them will be quite friendly but you will experience a few to$$ers and not all people play the same way either

So with all that in mind - you will be thrown into a place of saddo's with toy guns that you have never met before

You will be expected to take your hits and call yourself out - just do it even if you are not sure & ignore the non-hitakers

Leave your ego at home and play for fun trying to enjoy yourself......

Now after your first game, if you and your parents are ok with you getting shot to $hit

(well at least you getting out for a full day of crazy exercise, trying to act responsible & mature etc...)

Then THEY could consider buying YOU a 2-tone gun at some point......

Do not under any circumstances think that you can get by with a JBBG for about £70 - £80

(you really will regret it and the resale value if it doesn't break is sweet F*ck All - but bet it breaks)

Besides the guns from a site with BB in like JustBBGuns or BBguns4less are usually very poor

(yes some guns are ok but there is a lot of crap they sell to noobs and younger first time players)

If you do eventually decide to buy - well your parents for that matter you will need to spend around £150+

a good starter gun like G&G or ICS starts at about £120+ but then you got battery/charger/mask/bb's etc.....

Some possible good decent starter packs to consider.....

or
This seems to offer good value for money plus 2 mags - not brilliant mags but 2 mags all the same....
You might be able to pick up a decent s/hand starter but you need to know what you are buying
All the same you gotta get out there, test the water to see if YOU and more importantly if your parents are ok with this
Then if you get your own gun - it is a big outlay but as long you keep it simple you can keep the ongoing costs quite low
eg: walk on fee say £25 for a game each fortnight plus a £10 bag of bb's which should see you ok for 2 or 3 full game days
so say £30 each game you play......
But deffo play a game or two before splashing out.....
Youngsters have many things going on in their lives - exams, girls, going out & growing up etc....
But if you & your family are loaded - the wtf go for it - just be careful if money is tight trying to pursue another 5 min wonder

• Head Moderator

No it is good that you are asking questions. Will always tell new members to read the pinned threads and also to use the search button to find other threads with keywords. Retarded (or cognitive impairment if you prefer) would be incorrectly referring to a rifle as a "sniper" and not the person ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.