Gas Reliability

DANNY THOMAS

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have seen people saying that gas isn't reliable into UK weather? anyone use it? what experiences have you had?

Am looking into SCAR / ARC style primary on gas. any feedback or experience of these?

• Root Admin

Depends on the gun and the gas, but it doesn't perform as well as high pressure air or CO2 in the cold. This is really something you should search forums for though as 'cooldown' (the effect of rapidly cooling magazines as the gas within them escapes) between different guns as well as their contraction in cool weathers is well documented. In short though, cold weather can play hell with any gas blow back gun that runs on green gas (i.e. propane with some additives that you see sold at many sites, used by players to charge their pistol magazines etc.). Many guns are better at dealing with this than others, but none are perfect and that's why we're seeing a major move over to high pressure air (HPA) in the UK right now, because it works all year round (though the initial cost is quite high).

Don't get a GBBR as your first gun. You absolutely will regret the costs that it brings and the knowledge that you'll need to fix things when the go wrong. An AEG works well in all environments above sub-zero and is a good fall-back to have as a beginner (as well as generally being cheaper than GBBRs). I'd always recommend a well-branded M4, AK, MP5 etc. AEG as a gun to start with and then build from there. That way if something goes wrong then you can still play.

I'd always recommend a well-branded M4, AK, MP5 etc. AEG as a gun to start with and then build from there. That way if something goes wrong then you can still play.

But not a 'Well' branded gun. :P

Great post there Prof.

Google is extra good for this particular topic.

just come across this thread: AEG or GAS:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28392-aeg-or-gas/?hl=%2Bgas+%2Bmaintenance#entry216191

and also another thread: Need help picking a gbbr

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28296-need-help-with-picking-a-gbbr/

these articles and what proof put has been great advice!

thanks.

Stick with AEG as the first gun.

You know why? Well I don't.. I just listen to the long time playing, experienced dudes. :P

First gun should be an AEG I think. If you are going to join us on the dark side, you can't go wrong with a GHK G5. Mine worked fine last winter when it was 2 degrees with snow on the ground. A couple of mates have 416s and my brother has a WE scar (hasn't had it long enough to recommend or slate it though)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.