Who protects their sniper rifle scopes?

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Was wondering, who protects the lens of their sniper scope?

If so, what methods, I'm thinking of doing so, don't want to have my scope ruined...

Thanks

• Root Admin

This comes up one a month, but 3mm perspex insert infront of the objective and behind the unscrew-able collar. Have one in that very same scope you just bought and you wouldn't even be able to tell that it's there.

This guy will cut any size you like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bobbyboy0177 I can look up the one I put in my scope if you're interested.

Thanks, so it's a little bit of transparent Perspex that slots infront of the objective lens?

And for the kill flash. Isn't it sort of like a mesh thing?

Obviously for all this, I'd need the diameter for the objective lens, I'm guessing.

Thanks (I'll check that ebay bloke out)

• Root Admin

You won't find a killflash that fits that scope unfortunately. Believe me, I've tried. Also, once they get shot they get distorted and then won't really stop another BB if it hits the same area - it's kind of like mesh, but on larger optics the honeycomb is larger so as to allow more light in for a better quality picture. This means the gaps between are sometimes as large as 3-4mm anyway, so there's not a massive amount of metal (making them kind of a bit weak).

Yeh, I don't think you need it for the ocular lens unless you get shot in the back a lot. I think I actually got 2mm thick ones in the end, rather than 3. They were 45mm across. Should cost you about £2-3 for 5 of them.

You won't find a killflash that fits that scope unfortunately. Believe me, I've tried. Also, once they get shot they get distorted and then won't really stop another BB if it hits the same area - it's kind of like mesh, but on larger optics the honeycomb is larger so as to allow more light in for a better quality picture. This means the gaps between are sometimes as large as 3-4mm anyway, so there's not a massive amount of metal (making them kind of a bit weak).

Yeh, I don't think you need it for the ocular lens unless you get shot in the back a lot. I think I actually got 2mm thick ones in the end, rather than 3. They were 45mm across. Should cost you about £2-3 for 5 of them.

Cool, fair enough, I'll forget the killflash.

I'll just find a Perspex that has the same diameter as my objective lens. Then it's just a squeeze to get it in I guess?

Thanks for the help

• Root Admin

Nope. Maybe you misunderstood - there's a collar that sits infront of the objective (you can remove it by using a flathead screwdriver very carefully to apply torque). On mine there was a flat o-ring/gasket that allowed me to place the plastic straight on there without it touching the objective (you absolutely do not want the plastic touching your objective lens or all that energy will go straight through it and onto the very tip of the objective). If there's no o-ring or rubber to offset it like there was in mine then just buy one.

The collar otherwise seems pointless. It doesn't actually hold the objective in (which appears to be glued). I can only assume it's a failsafe for if the glue fails.

If you have any trouble then let me know via PM. It's not too tricky.

I have a honeycomb kill flash on my scope. As Profink said, it is weak but on mine at least it has stopped a BB already and only been out once. I have reformed the honeycomb back into shape, not sure how many BBs it'll actually be able to stop but hopefully it won't have to stop many anyhows! :-)

DSC_0129_zpsb5tjjkww.jpg

Mhm, I may need a picture of the scope at the front to show this collar thing. So you remove the collar, then you put the perspex in, then put the collar back in.

Or some sort of thing comes off the scope,which allows you to slot it in, then put that 'thing' back onto the scope.

Thanks for the help,

This guy will cut any size you like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bobbyboy0177 I can look up the one I put in my scope if you're interested.

This sandwhiched between the outer scope and one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLIP-UP-LENS-COVER-CAP-Scope-Telescopic-Sight-Yellow-Clear-See-Through-Filter-/330629921962?var=&hash=item4cfb143caa:m:mSn8hS4gwulT8vajbY1B7kA

Simple, 2 min job, and if it ever does break or need cleaning its slips off without dismantling the scope.

plus scope covers are l33t as flip!

• Root Admin

That's an option too - the problem is the further the plastic is from the objective, the more chance you have of distorting the light coming in (reflections in the front perspex perhaps). I can't imagine this is a problem for us at all - if you've not noticed it at all then I'm sure it's a moot point anyway.

That's an option too - the problem is the further the plastic is from the objective, the more chance you have of distorting the light coming in (reflections in the front perspex perhaps). I can't imagine this is a problem for us at all - if you've not noticed it at all then I'm sure it's a moot point anyway.

I understand your point.

The thing I don't get, is how it slots in. Could I possibly see a picture of you've got one stored on your device.

If not, don't worry, it's not fair for you to take a picture, just describe it as best as possible, I am a little confused.

Thanks very much.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.