Quick release mags/holdders

i3666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am looking for m4 mag pouches/holders for CQB which are quick release and are not velcro or bungee corded held . I will MOLLE the holder on a chest rig or maybe tac belt, probably a chest rig though.

Has anyone used the below or similar product? Thoughts please?

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/quick-release-mag-case-m4-magazine-pouch-molle-viper

I am also open to recommendations, cheers.

• Root Admin

They work, but those are ridiculously expensive. Look for the FMA ones. Don't use with heavy GBBR magazines as they can't clamp hard enough (for AEG magazines they're great). I also found that though the rear fastmag is 3-molle high, the front one (that the FMA ones come with) is only 2 high and is prone to leaning forward if it's not attached to another fastmag. Probably not an issue at all with AEG magazines (I was using very heavy GBBR magazines) but thought it worth a mention.

They work, but those are ridiculously expensive. Look for the FMA ones. Don't use with heavy GBBR magazines as they can't clamp hard enough (for AEG magazines they're great). I also found that though the rear fastmag is 3-molle high, the front one (that the FMA ones come with) is only 2 high and is prone to leaning forward if it's not attached to another fastmag. Probably not an issue at all with AEG magazines (I was using very heavy GBBR magazines) but thought it worth a mention.

Thanks bud, thats helpful. I am just running plastic Ares mid-caps ( for a a AEG Krytac) so the FMA ones sound fine.

Is this the product you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FMA-Tactical-Fast-Mag-Pouch-Set-Holster-5-56-Magazine-Pouch-Molle-Strike-System-/121527655392

• Head Moderator

Maybe more expensive but worth having a look at (Warrior produce some good quality kit - but I am a fan, and use the discounts) http://www.uktactical.com/c-75-fastmag-pouches.aspx

• Root Admin

Thanks bud, thats helpful. I am just running plastic Ares mid-caps ( for a a AEG Krytac) so the FMA ones sound fine.

Is this the product you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FMA-Tactical-Fast-Mag-Pouch-Set-Holster-5-56-Magazine-Pouch-Molle-Strike-System-/121527655392

Those are the ones, but I got mine for about £12 a year back. Try AliExpress and others maybe?

If it's going to be £16 then you might as well go with what Jedi said: The WAS ones.

• Root Admin

I can assure you bungees are not as quick as fastmags because you do still need to move the bungee out of the way (whereas with the fastmags it's just friction-based retention. I do use bungee ones these days as I prefer them for their versatilely when it comes to heavier magazines, but faster they are not. Also, very minimal noise - certainly not comparable to Velcro.

• Head Moderator

Why not bungee cord? your changes will not be quicker with plastic mags, and they will be much noisier than velcro.

Open top bungee mags are far superior and cheaper.http://www.uktactical.com/p-4460-warrior-triple-open-556mm-multicam.aspx

I can assure you bungees are not as quick as fastmags because you do still need to move the bungee out of the way (whereas with the fastmags it's just friction-based retention. I do use bungee ones these days as I prefer them for their versatilely when it comes to heavier magazines, but faster they are not. Also, very minimal noise - certainly not comparable to Velcro.

I have the Warrior bungee top mags, and like them for keeping the magazines securely in place, although you do need to set the bungee tension correctly otherwise the mags can drop out as I found on my first time out using one. But not as fast as those with "laced elastic shock cord which is threaded through the side of each pouch", I think these ones could be better - http://www.uktactical.com/c-695-warrior-quick-mags-fast-mag.aspx - fast mags with adjustable side tension.

• Supporters

The ones with bungees don't mean you have to put them over the mags as they should still hold find, that's what i've always done.

I've only ever used PMAGs but the only time a mag fall out was using a crappy condor chest rig where I had removed the bungee section as a test, turned out it was gripping the mag where it was tied...

• Head Moderator

The ones with bungees don't mean you have to put them over the mags as they should still hold find, that's what i've always done.

True, the Warrior ones are grippy for want of a better word, and it is easy enough to unvelcro the bungee cord from inside the pouch and remove it completely. I chose the bungee version for the added security.

• Supporters

True, the Warrior ones are grippy for want of a better word, and it is easy enough to unvelcro the bungee cord from inside the pouch and remove it completely. I chose the bungee version for the added security.

I just tuck the pull tabs on them behind my mags and they are completely out of the way. Perhaps PMAGs hold better than standard M4 mags, but the only thing i'd gain from switching to polymer mag holders would be aesthetics.

Thanks for the input guys (and maybe girls).

I am also not one for aesthetics and just want a quiet, quick release mag holder. I would use the bungie mag holders (pouches) but i was concerned they would be slower compared to the polymer ones; and as I play quick paced cqb, mag change times are vital.

As always with airsoft, there is so much choice and it might be a case of trying out a few options to find the best option for me.

I have a Gen 1 FastMag from Supply Captain from way back when, have kept AEG AK mags, Galil mags and M4 mags in it and never had one fall out or come loose. Wish I'd bought more.

• Head Moderator

I play quick paced cqb, mag change times are vital.

Radical idea, just use one hi-cap and controlled shots so there is no need to change the magazine. Makes you even lighter to run :)

Less realistic but convenient.

• Root Admin

Thanks for the input guys (and maybe girls).

I am also not one for aesthetics and just want a quiet, quick release mag holder. I would use the bungie mag holders (pouches) but i was concerned they would be slower compared to the polymer ones; and as I play quick paced cqb, mag change times are vital.

As always with airsoft, there is so much choice and it might be a case of trying out a few options to find the best option for me.

They are absolutely slower. I've used both for extended periods. If you've got a dump pouch and aren't replacing the magazines when you switch then the difference is negligible (but still slightly better with fastmags). If not they win every time.

I like open top pouches and bungees, but the fastmags are - as you'd imagine - designed for speed. They're also not loud at all (certainly not louder than say a footstep on concrete would be).

They are absolutely slower. I've used both for extended periods. If you've got a dump pouch and aren't replacing the magazines when you switch then the difference is negligible (but still slightly better with fast mags). If not, they win every time.

I like open top pouches and bungees, but the fast mags are - as you'd imagine - designed for speed. They're also not loud at all (certainly not louder than say a footstep on concrete would be).

Thanks, thats helps and I will get some fast mags to get them a go.

Reload speed is all about skills, not equipment.

To be brutally honest, if your skills are so le33t that you are looking to shave half a second reload time, then you wouldn't be asking this question.

Your best options for what you think you want, although they are pricey are HSGI Taco or Blue Force Gear Ten Speed.

Buy what you like, its your dosh, but be aware that polymer fast mags will make no real world difference to your reload speed.

And to add, polymer fast mags are noisy, test it yourslef, get your mag and run it against some plastic or a table, its a plastic on plastic scrape, it will make a noise.

• Root Admin

They will, because reinserting the magazines is more failsafe - believe me, I've tried extensively. Because there's no textile flapping around, there's zero chance of getting a corner caught when re-inserting it without it being immediately obvious. Again though, this difference becomes basically nil when you factor in a dump pouch (which one should probably use in CQB).

I know a lot of people like to say 'all the gear no idea' etc. but the truth is both matter to an extent in any scenario. Sure if you're a complete idiot then plastic retention pouches make no difference when you're fumbling about anyway, but we're assuming OP knows what's up already and so these are absolutely the quickest option if you know what you're doing. The Taco would do the same job, but then the design is nearly identical in concept - plastic friction retention but with some fabric covering the front and back sides. There are a few clones, but the fastmag is such a simple design that the FMA clones are very good (and for £14 for two, very cheap). Another alternative is simple M4 pouch retention inserts like these. They're all the same conceptually.

Again though, I'd never use them because for woodland I'd prefer to be sure my magazines aren't flying everywhere and that they're going to stay in place when I lie down. I'm with you on using bungee most of the time, and even in CQB I'd probably go with them too (having sold almost all my fastmags anyway).

I'm not sure where you're getting this 'noisy' thing from? It's not like the fart of Velcro in the middle of a forest, we're talking CQB here - there are people shooting, shouting, AEGs whirring and noisy footsteps; they absolutely aren't going to be able to compete with that. Not to mention that they're dampened by the huge elastic bands wrapped around them and that one side is cushioned by the rest of your molle anyway.

• Supporters

I've recently changed to all HSGI taco style mag pouches (the WAS ones cos they were in the sale). They're fast to use, don't make loads of noise and more importantly for me they can be reconfigured from STANAG to AK to 7.62 in seconds meaning I don't have to have loads of different pouches or alternative loadouts for different weapon platforms. All round win.

• Supporters

Were you able to compare the HSGI ones to the WAS ones? I'm not one for gear so I can't see any clear differences other than the affordability of the WAS ones.

The HSGI ones have plastic moulded sides whereas the WAS ones just have stiff material. I've not had any issues with the WAS ones with re-inserting mags so I don't see it as an issue. One of the big problems I had was wanting a double rifle mag pouch because at the time WAS only did single ones. You can MOLLE them together but it's a MASSIVE ballache. About two weeks after I got the feeling back in my fingertips WAS released double rifle mag pouches. Grrrr.

But yes, the main advantage is price. Don't skimp and buy the Chinese made ones as they really are crap.

They will, because reinserting the magazines is more failsafe - believe me, I've tried extensively. Because there's no textile flapping around, there's zero chance of getting a corner caught when re-inserting it without it being immediately obvious. Again though, this difference becomes basically nil when you factor in a dump pouch (which one should probably use in CQB).

I know a lot of people like to say 'all the gear no idea' etc. but the truth is both matter to an extent in any scenario. Sure if you're a complete idiot then plastic retention pouches make no difference when you're fumbling about anyway, but we're assuming OP knows what's up already and so these are absolutely the quickest option if you know what you're doing. The Taco would do the same job, but then the design is nearly identical in concept - plastic friction retention but with some fabric covering the front and back sides. There are a few clones, but the fastmag is such a simple design that the FMA clones are very good (and for £14 for two, very cheap). Another alternative is simple M4 pouch retention inserts like these. They're all the same conceptually.

Again though, I'd never use them because for woodland I'd prefer to be sure my magazines aren't flying everywhere and that they're going to stay in place when I lie down. I'm with you on using bungee most of the time, and even in CQB I'd probably go with them too (having sold almost all my fastmags anyway).

I'm not sure where you're getting this 'noisy' thing from? It's not like the fart of Velcro in the middle of a forest, we're talking CQB here - there are people shooting, shouting, AEGs whirring and noisy footsteps; they absolutely aren't going to be able to compete with that. Not to mention that they're dampened by the huge elastic bands wrapped around them and that one side is cushioned by the rest of your molle anyway.

Thanks again as this info is helpful in gauging as to what to get.

Just one other query, did you find the FMA fast mag holders held the mag still when prone? I am planning on mounting the holders on either a belt or vest, but not sure which yet....

You are right with the noise aspect of CQB as it is quite loud where I play.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.