Next project - DMR or Sniper??

Philby21

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks,

About to finish off the rebuild of my G36C (opportunity for new internals courtesy of a snapped gear and knackered piston) then I've decided to grab myself an ASR111 Guardian to be a bit different - after which I'm planning on either a DMR or sniper option, just not sure which way to go?

So, suggestions please, I want to start with a reasonably priced base gun that I'll then work to upgrade. The site I play at has limits of 450fps for DMR and 500 for sniper (with MED of course) so I have some scope within these power limits.

I want to go for something not too unwieldy but with good scope to upgrade, I'll work on it quite a bit before skirmishing it in anger and I'll be going for as good a combination of range and accuracy as I can get without buying a Real Sword SVD!

Any advice greatly appreciated :D

No doubt this is going to be a fun can of worms!!

Thanks,

Phil

I'd recommend the DMR route as it is more skirmishable. I currently have 2 snipers (a vsr and an srs) both are lots of fun but I am enjoying making a DMR at the moment too with a Krytac

• Supporters

DMR - you got quick change spring so go back to aeg when you get the hump option

Sniper - bolt action is what mofo's go for, will cost time & money and you are stuck with a sniper

(or sell it, shelve it etc.....)

I'd test the water with DMR first and see how you get on

Well, I'm leaning towards the DMR option, the next question is obviously which base gun?

I fancy something a bit different as I keep seeing 417s DMR'd so I'm thinking either SL8 or Steyr Aug?

I had to google DMR :rolleyes::D

I fancy something a bit different as I keep seeing 417s DMR'd so I'm thinking either SL8 or Steyr Aug?

Steyr Aug - this seems weird... I've seen someone use an aug in game, and it had a very high fire rate, so I'm presuming that gun is more for CQB, get in there sort of thing..

Be cool to see you do it, just was kind of confused, but what do I know about guns... (Nothing)

• Supporters

Well, I'm leaning towards the DMR option, the next question is obviously which base gun?

M14 am bestest DMR.

SL8 would be cool but tricky/expensive to get the parts. I seem to remember you can get a kit to turn a G36 into one but I don't know if any one does a whole one off the shelf anymore. If you go AUG get the one with the long barrel and funky .50 cal style flashhider!

L86 LSW, built in bi-pod......... Hmmmm might do one myself this year

Not an L129A1? Im looking at doing one as a project gun over a few years but dont really know what to start with.

Although an L86 would be tempting if you could get it somewhere like the one in the middle. Albeit id ditch the bipod for a grip pod and ditch the rear grip.

LSW+and+Sharpshooter+.JPG

• Supporters

Not an L129A1? Im looking at doing one as a project gun over a few years but dont really know what to start with.

Although an L86 would be tempting if you could get it somewhere like the one in the middle. Albeit id ditch the bipod for a grip pod and ditch the rear grip.

LSW+and+Sharpshooter+.JPG

I already have a P* Jack'ed SR25, which is close enough to a L129A1 for me :)

I just really like the idea of a l86 dmr .... Been doing some reading up and someone has converted/adapted/hacked a we l85 and ics l86, now there is temptation!

Hmmm. I cant decide if my project should be a British loadout in which case it'd likely be a L192A1. Or whether to go down a PMC style tactical AK. Which will probably be cheaper.

Anyway, as to not hijack this thread... i really like the new HK G28.

If you go AUG get the one with the long barrel and funky .50 cal style flashhider!

You know, that's exactly the one I was thinking of, looks a beast! http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-air-soft-guns/jg0446a-au-5g-jg?from=listing&campaign-id=19

And the AUG has the benefit of the V3 gearbox so plenty of scope for tuning.

The L86 looks like an interesting idea but also looks like it weighs a ton!

For comparison, the SL8 - http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-air-soft-guns/608-4-jg?from=listing&campaign-id=19

You know, that's exactly the one I was thinking of, looks a beast! http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-air-soft-guns/jg0446a-au-5g-jg?from=listing&campaign-id=19

And the AUG has the benefit of the V3 gearbox so plenty of scope for tuning.

The L86 looks like an interesting idea but also looks like it weighs a ton!

For comparison, the SL8 - http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-air-soft-guns/608-4-jg?from=listing&campaign-id=19

That's a g36 not a sl8

• Supporters

offtopic: Held a real sa80 at my towns military showoff thing and it had that grip on the back but for me there was no way I could hold it with the grip? someone please explain :mellow:

You hold it with your left hand, assuming you are holding the gun right handed. It's to steady the gun when a bipod is deployed or it's resting on stuff.

• Root Admin

Like Esoteric said: The L86 ('long barrel L85') was designed as an LSW (light support weapon), but was superseded by the M249/L110/Minimi and the 5.56 it fires couldn't pack enough of a punch or go far enough (even with such a long barrel) for it to be truly utilised in Afghanistan as a designated marksman rifle so the L129 was brought in to replace it in that role too. That handle on the back was intended to be used from a prone position.

Basically it's all but obsolete these days.

That's a g36 not a sl8

I know but that was the closest I found in the roughly 4 seconds I took to look!! :lol:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.