KWA Glock 19

P_Siddy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

All,

Today i managed to clamber into the loft and have a good search around for my Glock 19.

Now it hasnt been fired in at least 4 years. Nor has it been cleaned or oiled or anything like that. Both mags have been entirely empty for this duration also.

What sort of maintainance will i need to perform before getting it to a game ready side arm?

Please note, as im a noob might need a bit more of an explanation of bits. But i understand the mags are likely fucked as theyve been dry for 4 or so years?

Soak the o rings and valves in silicon oil overnight and try them out to see how they deal, you might get away with it. Use the same silicon oil to clean and lube the gun also, take the slide off and make sure you remove dust etc, have a quick YouTube seach for a video guide. Search for RC car shock absorber oil, it's cheaper than the airsoft specific and it's exactly the same.

• Supporters

I'd give it a try first... fill the mags with gas and see if they hold, if they do then try shooting it. If it's been completely immobile for that time there's not really anywhere the grease could have gone!

The mags are likely leaking like seives though, so you'll need to do some repair work on those. Thankfully glock magazines are really easy to strip.

Unfortunately I have the technical ability of a chocolate teapot.

Where are the O Rings and valves? I've seen how to take the slide off so I'm cool with that.

Would a air duster be suitable for removing the dust? Or am I likely to send little parts flying.

• Supporters

air duster will remove dust fine. takedown of the magazines is pretty straightforward, if you slide off the base plate there should be a screw... undo it and the bottom of the magazine should slide off. That's the place that's most likely to leak.

If you want to know exactly where a mag is leaking from then fill it with a bit of gas and stick it in a bowl of water, the bubbles will tell you where your leak is.

Nice one. I havent got any gas at the moment, but after ive been for a game or two and start ordering more kit i'll get some gas in, give it a try and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Cam anyone recommend which gas I should be using? I can't remember what I used to have. Is there even any difference between gas?

Okay no matter what I type in the search bar it doesn't work. But I Googled KWA Glock Gas and found somewhere recommending green gas so I've bought some WE Nuprol Green Gas.

• Root Admin

Wouldn't be that specific. A lot of people seem to find the WE gas fine - I've found it rather expensive for what it is. If you're going the green gas route then Pro Gas or Smart Gas (which can be bought from the continent) are very affordable and perform quite well. If you need more power, you may wish to look into propane, MAPP or something like Nuprol 3, 4 and Guarder Powerful gas. Propane is a good choice if you don't mind the smell as it's cheap and effective.

I've ordered 3 bottles of the stuff now. I will see how it goes and look at some other stuff if needed.

So I've gassed up the mags with no obvious leaks. Left them to stand for a short while and still no obvious leaking. Fired off about 20 shots from each. No leaks. Looks like I've been lucky.

The standard mantra is to leave gas mags gassed all the time and they shouldn't leak.

There is a train of thought that say all gas mags should be left empty (but lubed). the rationing being a seal under pressure will fail quicker than a seal under no load. I have had no leaks since leaving mine un-gassed, and yours being sat that length of time with no leaks leads me to think there is some truth in the concept.

Yeah. Maybe the best solution is somewhere in between lol

But as of yet.. my mags are still holding the gas. I will check them day by day incase of a slow leak. But given the length of time I'd of thought if there was any damage it would have been absolutley fubar.

I did think of doing that.. then i was distracted by food.

• 1 month later...

So I have another question if anyone is willing to assist.

I wanted to start experimenting with upgrading my stuff and decided to start small as to not get carried away.

​I purchased a Guarder Recoil Spring Guide set and replaced that, and I must say the kick and cycle rate is noticeably quicker.

I also purchased a madbull 6.03 tightbore barrel for it, however have not fitted it yet due to one reason...

In that video, he uses silicone gel to create a seal around the barrel and clasp its held in and the piece behind the barrel (excuse the noobness).

However in a written, step by step guide I found there is no mention of adding any silicone gel to anywhere... is this just a personal preference thing? what does it achieve? and mostly, should I be doing that too?

Thanks in advance,

• Root Admin

Recoil spring: Make sure you're not short-stroking it too much as you'll get feeding issues. The 150% springs are meant for use with more powerful gas, but you may also have to upgrade the hammer spring too so that it can actuate the valves on your magazines properly should you use a more powerful green gas.

Video: You'd be better using silicone RTV/Gasket maker as that'll dry and not soak into the hop up bucking and warp it. Most people just use PTFE/Teflon tape as that works just as well too, plus is more easily removable. If that's still not working for you then PTFE plus a couple of loops of fishing wire or dental floss will fix your air seal. Any more than that is basically overkill.

Again though, I'd avoid using a lubricant as that looks like what he's doing here.

Used to watch a lot of his videos and he knows his stuff when it comes to disassembly/reassembly of Glocks. Was the first guide I followed when I took apart my G18C and his channel has loads of info on it, but I'm not quite sure what he was doing here as there are better ways of sealing a bucking into place.

Yes his videos are definatlely useful.

The step by step guide was here: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/187947-how-to-upgrade-your-kwaksc-glock/

Putting silicone or tape on it isnt mentioned there. So what does it achieve?

Im going to do a couple of runs through of a magazine later and make sure theres no feeding issues. How would i notice if the hammer spring needs upgrading too?

Im still a bit apprehensive about fitting the barrel, even though it seems relitvely simple as i dont want to fuck it up lol.

Would that tape just cover the same area hes put the gel stuff?

Thanks

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.