Question from returning player

Daz85UK

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

About 10 years ago I brought an ICS M4 and skirmished a bit. I recently got my old gun out thinking it wouldn't work as it hasn't been used for about 9 years, I was surprised to find it still worked perfectly.

I have a few questions, do I need to do anything to the gun seeing as it hasn't been used for so long?

Also reading about the new law I get you need to have a licence to buy a replica airsoft gun, however as I already own a rifle do I need a licence to go to a site and skirmish?

Do I need a licence to purchase sights etc for my gun?

Thanks

Daz

Also reading about the new law I get you need to have a licence to buy a replica airsoft gun, however as I already own a rifle do I need a licence to go to a site and skirmish?

Where did you read about a licence? The UKARA retailer scheme appears to operate like a licence, however adults cannot be refused membership afaik thus it's not really even close to a licence.

You do not legally need anything to use your airsoft gun for airsoft purposes, just don't show it in a public place.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :). Have a look at this link http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/1254-popular-ukara-questions/. It will answer some of your questions.

No licence required (no such thing for airsoft), what you need is a valid defence to show that your are a regular skirmisher. Best way is via site membership - play 3 games in no less than two months and within a year at the same site. Once you have site membership you can be registered onto the UK Airsoft Retailer Association (UKARA) database if you want to, although not all players are on UKARA. You do not have to be UKARA to buy a RIF but it will be necessary/worthwhile if buying guns from abroad.

Anyone can buy the accessories, i.e. sights, without a defence.

• Root Admin

What Scarathe means is: VCRA only applies to the sale of airsoft guns. Ownership isn't governed, but don't be an idiot (and always keep it bagged when in a public place or if transporting it).

You don't need anything to buy replica parts, optics, ammo etc or to play.

• Supporters

I have a few questions, do I need to do anything to the gun seeing as it hasn't been used for so long?

Do I need a licence to purchase sights etc for my gun?

Some folks would perhaps recommend checking your hop bucking to make sure it's not dried and split/cracked and maybe look in the gearbox, but honestly if there's grease still on the internal mech parts and it shoots as it should, I wouldn't personally see a need to do anything much with it. I've got tons of AEGs I don't use for years at a time, never had any problems when pulling them out of storage.

People who say you need a 'license' of any kind are almost certainly ignorant of the facts and not to be listened to. You now need to provide a defence from prosecution against the laws laid down in the Violent Crime Reduction Act. The main way that airsofters do this is by playing 3 skirmishes at an appropriate site (one that holds public liability insurance is the rule I've heard most often from people who know what they're talking about) over a period greater than 2 months but less than 12 months. At this point most sites will then give you a membership which should prove you're an active skirmisher. You can also get your name added to the UKARA Database (again, not a license, just a database entry) and it then makes it even easier for retailers to check your eligibility to buy, or more accurately, be sold, RIFs.

The VCRA covers sale and manufacture of RIFs (amongst a few others things) but there's no prohibition on ownership or usage for skirmishing. If there was, there would overnight be literally thousands of people all around the UK who suddenly became criminals looking at some seriously unpleasant sentences. Regards the second question, the law also only covers imitation firearms, not accessories for them like grips and sights etc, so buy away in that regard.

Edit - Too slow at writing...

• Head Moderator

Anyone can buy the accessories, i.e. sights, without a defence.

You don't need anything to buy replica parts, optics, ammo etc or to play.

Regards the second question, the law also only covers imitation firearms, not accessories for them like grips and sights etc, so buy away in that regard.

So I take it you do not need to be part of the UKARA if you are buying accessories such as sights?

As replies above. No, being UKARA registered is not needed.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.