Is playing dress up becoming more important than playing airsoft?

ImTriggerHappy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Sure I have, but clarified by saying my opinion is just an opinion. I think gear is stupid a lot of the time - I'd rather play. The two aren't mutually exclusive though.

No they are not but thats not the point.

My point is there are a lot who forget the gear whether kit or guns is just a tool for playing a game and its the game and you the player thats the most important thing.

And also to find out what about airsoft attracts people the most.

Yes you stated game is more important 👏 others just mentioned what kit they have.

See thing is, for me a game! But as touched on buy others i think the constraints of life (for me its renovating my house as if i dont mention it enough lol) so you dont get to play when you want and as you sit idle you shop for the things you enjoy i.e airsoft parts/guns/clothes while you are at home wishing you where at a game.

• Head Moderator

I prefer the dressing up as opposed to naked airsoft :)

I play airsoft because I enjoy shooting toy guns, the thrill of a firefight and the excitiment of sneaking around the other team. It is definately all about playing the game. I like to get stuck in, even if it means getting hit because I hate those corridor stand-offs and would rather get shot at if it means others can exploit my move or at least see where the opposition are shooting from. On my first skirmish I spent most of one game guarding an area that no-one was attacking and thought it a waste of my money to just wait when I could go out and find some action.

The costume is secondary. I do not have a particular load-out or impression I am trying to copy. I do generally like to buy quality clothing, but then most of my gear can be used in normal life and not just for airsoft. I would not spend more on clothing than the gun, although my spending spree prior to xmas did equate to a new TM recoil but then I already have one so do not need another. I am not a gun collector.

I have bought numerous items trying to get the right product or give myself options of what set-up to use. Sucker for those discount codes for Warrior kit.

Chatting to other players in the safe zone is useful to ask about their guns and kit and exchange information. This forum is the same, I think it is good to swap stories, receive or provide advice whether technical or about other diverse matters.

I play to have fun and that is what counts. Would love to play every week if I could. Play wins over buying guns and gear.

• Head Moderator

What do you enjoy most gear or playing?

Simple question if you could buy a new gun this week or play a game what would it be?

Playing wins every time. However, between games it is too easy to look at kit and buy something. Or after playing think, I wonder if item A would improve my game.

Edit: even though my grey Art'terxy trousers cost a ridiculous amount I still lay of the floor, crawl around, kneel in puddles, etc. I never think about trying to keep them clean or protected they are just a tool to be used.

• Supporters

Playing wins every time. However, between games it is too easy to look at kit and buy something. Or after playing think, I wonder if item A would improve my game.

Nothing wrong with shopping and buying loads of kit. The issue is when that becomes more important than the game itself.

That day I mentioned earlier is what I am getting at, our side got destroyed because they didnt try and play but when you looked around the safe zone they were all putting a lot of effort into their kit.

About half a dozen on our side tried that day and 2 of them were dressed in jeans and tshirt and a couple were rentals.

It makes me wonder how many people play for the enjoyment of actually playing airsoft.

Its what makes me think milsim is the way forward because people seem to have more drive to actually play the game.

Edit; By milsim I mean a more structured scenario based game not the whole over the top immersion thing. Fine for those that do but not for me.

• Supporters

My only experience doing more organised games is with Airborne Airsoft and people definitely play for the objectives more. Although it isn't guaranteed as people will still rock up with no idea what is going on then show no interest in cooperating with the team, fortunately it is rare though.

You also don't have to play spot the armband which is nice.

I'm fairly new to airsoft, I feel that playing is by far the most important. However, playing twice every 5 weeks (due to my shift pattern) I find that researching kit wether it be a new rif, plate carrier, mag pouches or whatever allows me to stay imersed and involved in the sport while away from the field so to speak! Just my 2p worth 😊

I only own one Combat Machine and got a USP .45 as an Xmas gift. I've played 12-15 times in 7-8 months. I do wear camo, but cheapy stuff which is already fading massively and has buttons shot off the pockets.

For me it's all about the games. But giving yourself every advantage you can (within reason) is obviously smart.

Can't see me buying a new gun until I have to, where as one of the guys who started playing around the same time as me has already been through five AEGs and now has a HPA Tippman. He loves to play games though too.

A lot of it has to do with disposable income, I have two kids and a mortgage, but if I didn't I can almost guarantee I would have way more/better gear.

Horses for courses

I spent a few quid on the OPS multicam black stuff but it looks the same now as it did when it was new it's suffered Epsom, the mall, longmoor so I actually see that as an investment. I don't suspect I'll need new ones for years to come.

As someone else commented I would have loved a non multicam clothing but the prices of the grey stuff or green was scary, I'm harsh with clothing as I dive and roll around in it knock it catch it etc... So cheap stuff for me doesn't work. What I have done is hit tk maxx and bought up some regatta stuff in grey which I can mix and match with the ops gear and it was super cheap :) plus I use my old timberland boots so no cost on them

I do have some Gucci kit but it all serves a purpose so isn't purely for looks not that I have any problem with that

Gas guns are my weakness really that's a whole new story

• Supporters

Love the way threads on here never really stay on topic.

The whole point is whats most important to people gear or actual playing.

Doesnt matter what you own or whether its cheap or gucci its about how some people put more effort into kit than playing and what sort of person are you.

• Head Moderator

Playing with good kit :)

Edit: maybe need one of those simple polls - What is most important to you?

Playing

Gear

Collecting guns

Undecided

I like both aspects.

I like having AEGs that I don't see anyone else with (or at least rarely) and/or ones I really like - my first cap gun was an Uzi, so I had to get a TM Uzi...I love Bond films, so I had to get a PPK(/S). I love the bank robbery in Heat, so I had to get a Galil...I love Full Metal Jacket and I know I will, someday, own an M60...

As for clothing, I grew up in hand-me-downs and we never had a lot of money for branded clothes. Now that I have a salary, I can save up for some nice gear that also is perfectly suitable for trail walking; which I am getting into as well. So I have invested in clothes that should be durable, functional and tactical if needs be: TAD Gear, Merrell and OPS being the main ones. I loved the look of a PCU jacket, so I wanted one. The fact that it works flipping well in winter swayed my wallet. I wear what is going to keep me warm or cool and most importantly, comfortable. It can be a long old day and the UK weather is, as we all know, and unpredictable madam.

What is great about airsoft, and it echoes others; is that participants are, as a whole, pretty non-judgemental. 'What works for you', is my motto.

• Supporters

I can't stand people that don't pull their weight. Yeah it's nice you paid your game fee but you are potentially ruining the day for multiple people so quit being selfish.

I also think it's a load of bollocks that people saying to push up are normally stood back near the spawn. If I suggest people push up I will go first and I'm sure lots of people are the same, although I will ignore the armchair general types.

For me it's all about playing with all the other aspects coming afterwards. I'd say I'm a pretty average player but I do at least go for objectives.

• Supporters

I can't stand people that don't pull their weight. Yeah it's nice you paid your game fee but you are potentially ruining the day for multiple people so quit being selfish.

I also think it's a load of bollocks that people saying to push up are normally stood back near the spawn. If I suggest people push up I will go first and I'm sure lots of people are the same, although I will ignore the armchair general types.

For me it's all about playing with all the other aspects coming afterwards. I'd say I'm a pretty average player but I do at least go for objectives.

Although this wasn't really the point of the thread I have to agree with you and Cheesy really pisses me off when people dont try.

Actually that probably is the point of the thread. How pissed off I have become by all the people who go to so much effort to look the part but never actually make enough effort to play properly.

It is definitely getting worse and they are definitely a type. I know even people who turn up in jeans can be like that but I think from my experience they are not as common.

Got sick of trying to play one man army and walking out of games tired, sweaty and usually bleeding to find a bunch of guys wearing a full combat gear but they still haven't managed to break a sweat.

I know not all gear whores are like that and some are really good players and nice guys.

But for all those who buy all the kit then hide at the back trying to stay pretty stop it its f*cking annoying.

Although this wasn't really the point of the thread I have to agree with you and Cheesy really pisses me off when people dont try.

Actually that probably is the point of the thread. How pissed off I have become by all the people who go to so much effort to look the part but never actually make enough effort to play properly.

It is definitely getting worse and they are definitely a type. I know even people who turn up in jeans can be like that but I think from my experience they are not as common.

Got sick of trying to play one man army and walking out of games tired, sweaty and usually bleeding to find a bunch of guys wearing a full combat gear but they still haven't managed to break a sweat.

I know not all gear whores are like that and some are really good players and nice guys.

But for all those who buy all the kit then hide at the back trying to stay pretty stop it its f*cking annoying.

YES

I saw a lot of this at an indoor site we went to before Christmas

Loads of people camping on the upper floor plenty hiding around spawn made the objective of finding packages to blow up the enemy bomb irrelevant kind of annoying

But to me playing is more important than dress up id wear a onesy or pyjamas if they were all I had

• Head Moderator

But to me playing is more important than dress up id wear a onesy or pyjamas if they were all I had

What camo pattern would your onesy be? lol :)

I tend to not take it all to seriously and don't really care what I look like. Have played in my work clothes before now (long story) but I do think that there is needs to be a distinction between milsim and regular Airsoft.

Trig me and deebo javnt been playing as long as ypu but this pissed us off so quick hence why airbourne airsoft and okto seemed more apealing. Just more effort from players and less of the people who dont take part fully.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.