Is playing dress up becoming more important than playing airsoft?

ImTriggerHappy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Trig me and deebo javnt been playing as long as ypu but this pissed us off so quick hence why airbourne airsoft and okto seemed more apealing. Just more effort from players and less of the people who dont take part fully.

Compared to some I havent been playing that long but I am definitely getting to the point of giving up. I play small private games where we all just mess around and have a laugh and really go for it and they are great I really look forward to them but havent been to a normal skirmish since October because of an injury and starting to realise I dont miss it.

Think it only takes a couple of years to start to get really jaded and then it just gets worse and worse.

Being into Russian gear and being In a Russian team it can get quite expensive to buy the gear in the first place but once you have it you don't need to buy it again. I like playing just as much as I do collecting and wearing kit. Love being a sneaky bastard and proper tactics.

10458453_1072937859423635_22127901870789

Yep, totally about dressing up.

Well thats rather a simplistic view. I also got into WW2 airsoft and re-enacting. The Owen gun above cost £100 for a Sten and £350 to have it converted into an Owen gun. Webbing etc cost about £80, uniform cost about £100 including the hat and leggings. Then I have Khaki drill uniform, Service dress and British airborne gear, so it adds up.

It's fun to turn up to airsoft games dressed unusually. It's also interesting how gear that dates from WW2 compares with the more modern gear everyone else uses. You could say that I am doing practical testing for my own historical research :)

11217531_10153137650366045_6067142003521

I guess im lucky because at my local site no-one care what you wear or what gear you have (apart from a few snobs that everysite has) all they care about is you giving it your all and you can expect far more sneering and snobbing for being selfish rather than turning up with a cheap second hand gear and renting a gun and not hitting anything.

• Supporters

I guess im lucky because at my local site no-one care what you wear or what gear you have (apart from a few snobs that everysite has) all they care about is you giving it your all and you can expect far more sneering and snobbing for being selfish rather than turning up with a cheap second hand gear and renting a gun and not hitting anything.

This threads got nothing to do with snobbery or other people looking down on those that dont have nice gear. Its about how for some the thrill is more in the clothes and toys and for others its all about the game itself.

The only people to look down on are those who have all the kit but dont really go for it on game day.

The all show and no go crowd.

Someone who turns up with 5 grand of gear but really throws themselves in is no different to someone who turns up in jeans and tshirt and throws themselves in.

Both are there to play and both deserve respect.

Playing the game has got to be more important surely! No point buying the gear if your not going to use it. I have only been at it for 5-6 months and have put a bit of money in to my kit (though for justifiable reasons of course!) though thats primarily down to building up kit as i went.

2nd hand surplus DPM trousers and shirt and face protection firstly, so i wasn't having to ruin my 'street' clothes when i'm diving on the floor and didn't have to wear the camo boiler suits that split your plums everytime you raise your arms to shoot. This was more of a priority for me.

Then my second hand gun ended up breaking on me! So had to buy a back-up/new primary after repairing it!

But no matter what you will normally find me on the front line even if i've only got a sidearm and thunderflashes left.

So to answer the question, its the game not the gear that matters (though a boy can have a lot of fun with his toys).

or if he's stuffing the two hi-caps he owns in his jeans pockets...

You must've seen me on a game day then... Jokes, of course not...

I bring 3 .-.

I have never been to a game yet where anyone has looked down on someone because of what they are wearing. Everyone has their own priorities, whether it's a cool getup, fancy expensive guns or trying to develop the best tactics. The great thing about this sport is that no-one tends to judge you on anything other than whether you play fair. Dressing up is fun and gives you more to chat about in between games. When it comes to Milsim (or in my case WW2 games), it becomes part of the immersion and helps identify the teams. On normal open days, it's just a way for people to express themselves.

• Head Moderator

The great thing about this sport is that no-one tends to judge you on anything other than whether you play fair.

And that is a key point - honesty, integrity and playing a fair game. Discussing hit taking is going off topic but it is fundamental to the game. I think nothing ruins a day more than poor sportmanship.

The game is most important. I love the thrill. Takes me back to my army days. Mostly have noticed games slow down alot now due to gun malfunctions and kit breaking etc. Yeh its nice to be in full CEFO to make it more real but not at the expense of not being able to storm the kill house and diving for cover or spotting that unaware lone player.....

• Supporters

Personally, to try and reply as directly as possible to the OP, yeah I'm more interested in gear. Overall, I'd rather own firearms and maybe 1-2 airsoft replicas just to play the game occasionally, but I can't have the guns I want in this country so I just stick to BBs and what I get to play with in work.

However even if I can't personally own the guns I want, I can own gear that's 'on a par' as it were with the sort of guns I'd shoot if I could. I like to collect gear, I'm interested in the way it's made, the work that goes in to designing and manufacturing it, the whole industry that surrounds it, the similarities and differences between various sporting/defence applications for civilians, general outdoor use and military applications of all kinds of different apparel, load-bearing rigs, pouches etc. So I buy a fair bit of kit in order to actually look at it closely, then every now and then play airsoft in it in order to see how it performs on a very basic level (wicking sweat, friction points, retaining mags, pistol draw etc etc).

I've long been aware that playing in a half-arsed fashion would be detrimental to the other folks on my team, but personally I can't do things by halves anyway so it's never a problem. I either go to a skirmish or milsim and go for it with 100% effort, or I just stay at home. I'm not a good player, I always get hit more than I score hits, but I do enjoy the sounds of GBBs shooting, pyro going off and the like and it's a great social activity all around. Myself, I can't say I've ever seen bunches of guys dressed to the 9s in kit stood around the regen point mouthing off instead of getting stuck in; the people I've seen doing that have covered every 'type' of player there is. Fact is, unless you're a lottery winner/retired on a massive pension and all you do is travel up and down the entire UK playing game after game multiple times per week on a constant basis, you simply can't claim there to be any set trends amongst what certain 'types' of players do (or don't do as the case may be).

(apart from a few snobs that everysite has)

Does "every site" have those though?

Airsoft has three distinct aspects, Skirmishing, Dress up and Tinkering, although they are all mutually linked, none are more or less important than the others.

If you asked on Airsoft mechanics, i would hazard a majority rarely played, if you asked a russian loadout group, the majority would rarely play. Its not a bad thing as these airsofters are paying into and supporting the industry. It's a very good thing we are so diverse we can not tie ourselves into one direction.

Take Car owners clubs 50% just want a social gathering of likeminded people and a driveabout once in a while, 50% want to know every intricate detail about the car down to ridiculous details. All are accepted and bond unanimously.

Personally i have donned my kit more at home than at a site recently, because in the wake of the Paris Shootings, i cant help but throw the thought that as we go out skirmishing we are replicating the hell these people lived and died; for fun. Saying it out loud seem abhorrent to me.

There is no prize, there is no award, there is no reason or purpose, we are just going out to replicate killing each other for shits and giggles.

And i'm not alone in thinking this, many other players I have spoken to share this reluctance. Of course we are too deeply involved now to just quit so carry on and bury our moral objections.

• Supporters

Airsoft has three distinct aspects, Skirmishing, Dress up and Tinkering, although they are all mutually linked, none are more or less important than the others.

If you asked on Airsoft mechanics, i would hazard a majority rarely played, if you asked a russian loadout group, the majority would rarely play. Its not a bad thing as these airsofters are paying into and supporting the industry. It's a very good thing we are so diverse we can not tie ourselves into one direction.

Take Car owners clubs 50% just want a social gathering of likeminded people and a driveabout once in a while, 50% want to know every intricate detail about the car down to ridiculous details. All are accepted and bond unanimously.

Personally i have donned my kit more at home than at a site recently, because in the wake of the Paris Shootings, i cant help but throw the thought that as we go out skirmishing we are replicating the hell these people lived and died; for fun. Saying it out loud seem abhorrent to me.

There is no prize, there is no award, there is no reason or purpose, we are just going out to replicate killing each other for shits and giggles.

And i'm not alone in thinking this, many other players I have spoken to share this reluctance. Of course we are too deeply involved now to just quit so carry on and bury our moral objections.

Think your going a little bit off track there pal.

This thread is about what sort of player are you and how annoying it is when you get people who turn up to a skirmish who are more interested in how they look than playing properly.

At the end of the day if people want to just dress up then maybe re-enactment is where they should be not an airsoft field.

Nothing wrong with getting your enjoyment out of the toys more than playing but thats not airsoft.

Comparing it to car clubs is completely irrelevant. A car meet is not a competitive sport/activity its like minded individuals who have an interest in a particular item meeting up to look at said item.

If playing airsoft after the terrorism incident bothers you then dont play, its a perfectly understandable moral choice. But if anyone connects airsoft with real war then its time to look at their own head more than airsoft because maybe they are getting too caught up in the fantasy.

Airsoft is just tag with projectile weapons. I never even think in terms of real military or real guns because its not even close to the real thing.

The best airsofters are those that can balance all aspects and those who play for the love of playing. Those that turn up just to dress up should stay at home.

Haha, wargaming, painting, modelling. ^^

For years I shunned the 2nd one, now it's my favourite, and I never do the first one. Love 40k fiction though.

Not sure how you got there, last time I check airsoft was about armed on armed.

In my mind airsoft has more in common with DICE's battlefield than war. That said, I found out about it originally from LegoCap.

Playing is definitely most important to me, as a distinct and unashamedly disabled player, the thrill of feeling normal for an afternoon is priceless, even if I'm pretending I'm not in as severe pain as I actually am.

• Supporters

100% completely disagree.

Yes they are linked but playing is by far the most important.

Airsoft is a sport that uses bb guns as a tool but the core of airsoft is the player. Being able to play as part of a team and test yourself personally against others in a non harmful but combative way and to have the outcome based on everyones ability to show honour and play fair is what airsoft is all about.

Dressing up is just an add on.

Airsoft is a sport that uses bb guns as a tool but the core of airsoft is the player. Being able to play as part of a team and test yourself personally against others in a non harmful but combative way and to have the outcome based on everyones ability to show honour and play fair is what airsoft is all about.

Where do you draw the line between safety equipment and 'dress up'? What I mean to say is, if a person can justify an item as safety equipment (or load carrying for that matter), does that exempt their purchase from inclusion in 'dress up' or is it a matter of personal perspective, and individual justification be damned.

Is 'dress up' defined by the wearer or the observer? :)

• Supporters

I think what you're saying here is that playing is by far the most important part of the hobby... to YOU.

For me the gear is just as important as the playing, for you it isn't.

Your appreciation of this game (it's not a sport, really) is just as valid as mine, but it is different.

• Supporters

Where do you draw the line between safety equipment and 'dress up'? What I mean to say is, if a person can justify an item as safety equipment (or load carrying for that matter), does that exempt their purchase from inclusion in 'dress up' or is it a matter of personal perspective, and individual justification be damned.

Is 'dress up' defined by the wearer or the observer? :)

Protective or load carrying gear isnt dress up. All the uniforms and other things that are not really necessary are dress up.

Dressing up to play airsoft is not a bad thing whether its military, cosplay or even a crocodile onesy its all part of the fun.

My issue is those people who forget that the game is still the main point.

Only thing that should never be worn is a morph suit because that bloody hurts.

• Supporters

I think what you're saying here is that playing is by far the most important part of the hobby... to YOU.

For me the gear is just as important as the playing, for you it isn't.

Your appreciation of this game (it's not a sport, really) is just as valid as mine, but it is different.

Thats kind of it but not entirely what I am aiming at.

You state that gear is just as important as playing which is exactly as it should be. When you play you play to the full and I completely respect your choice on what gear you use because you use it to enhance your enjoyment of the game.

You have a balance which is a good thing and is how it should be.

My issue is purely the people who put the dressing up way ahead of the game.

As I stated in a previous post there is nothing wrong with enjoying the kit but if you turn up at a game turn up to play and give it your all.

Edit; As for whether its a sport or a game

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&source=hp&ei=uiiRVv-mNIf6PunqoIgO&q=is+airsoft+a+sport&oq=is+airsoft+&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.3.0l5.2021.5306.0.7236.12.12.0.7.7.0.273.1987.0j10j2.12.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.12.908.3.q1J-WEkKrzQ

• Supporters

As this has gone off topic - then back on, then off again.....

Airsoft is a little like married sex - just a little

Now if you are lucky you get to sample the above loadout - very very few times

(on ya GF I meant but if you like to cross dress I suppose whatever floats ya boat)

helps to make the event more enjoyable but as we all know it is the taking part that counts

and after a while you ain't gonna so no if their kit isn't as good

yes its nice all kitted/strapped up etc...

but if its basic loadout & you get to play or not playing at all....

you just pick up ya weapon and go for it - that is what counts

Final thought thought chaps....

If Mrs Duck is gonna show me a loadout like the above end of Feb - our anniversary btw 29-02-92 = leap year

then you will not be seeing me at the Mall I'm afraid

I might be daft and act the fool but even I ain't that f*cking stupid

somebody try and steer it back on course but leave you with another pic to consider if thinking of getting hitched

maxresdefault.jpg

AND NO MRS DUCK HASN'T LET HERSELF GO THAT MUCH !!!!

it is not our pics before you ask

(before any smart ar$e chimes in)

Edited by Monty

• Supporters

Is airsoft a sport? - Airsoft Society
www.airsoftsociety.com › ... › General Airsoft Discussion
13 Aug 2010 - 10 posts
Is it a sport because my friend keeps saying it isn't but I know it is and Can you give me a website or some proof on how its a sport.

Solid arguments from google!

• Supporters

Is airsoft a sport? - Airsoft Society
www.airsoftsociety.com  ...  General Airsoft Discussion
13 Aug 2010 - 10 posts
Is it a sport because my friend keeps saying it isn't but I know it is and Can you give me a website or some proof on how its a sport.
Solid arguments from google!

Lol.

I was going for the top part or Wikipedia once I see ask yahoo or the words my friend said I steer clear completely.

Granted, I am quite new to airsoft but my principle is LESS IS MORE and focus on being agile as I play CQB. Concerning clothing, anything really goes!

The thing I like about CQB is it can be the guy with the old shitty hoody & battered AK which is better than the people that have all the MilSim kit. You really have to approach all players with an open mind and not judge until you see people actually play!

Also, I would like to see more threads on game play and techniques!

I just see kit as a small part of the fun. If you notice its there, then its not doing its job properly & will get sold & replaced with something that does work. Its the same as a RIF. If its a faff then its not doing its job properly.

I'm not a gun nut nor a military kit perv. I just like having a laugh & meeting other people with the same sense of fun and sense of humour. the rest is just details to me.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.