Is playing dress up becoming more important than playing airsoft?

ImTriggerHappy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Noticed there are lots of threads about what camo, gun or other bit of kit is best. But very few people actually talk about the actual playing of airsoft.

So was wondering what is most important to people playing or collecting the kit?

I personally am the sort of person who doesnt want lots of toy guns and isnt interested what so ever in camo.

I prefer basic kit that is purely functional and is there just to enable me to play with the least fuss possible.

I have found myself doing a fair amount of tech stuff for myself and others but that is more because I can than I really want.

Airsoft for me is purely about the thrill of playing. I enjoy the physical side and testing myself against other players and love nothing more than being able to go on a run trying to cause a bit of carnage.

So was wondering how many people feel the same as I do that the gear is taking over from the joy of actually playing.

I've looked over on Zero In and they have an entire forum dedicated to tactics and the like. Although I'm not really sure where they stand compared to AF-UK, a lot more of the members seem slightly more experienced than those on here. Maybe it's just that we have slightly more beginner players, and they're a little more interested in looking the part. Just a idea.

• Root Admin

I find it amusing when people have clothing genuinely worth more than the gun they're holding, but ultimately I can see that a lot of people do like the idea of dressing up as much as shooting people and that's completely fine because it doesn't make the game any worse for me.

I'm with you though, Trigger - sort of - in that I just appreciate some of the mechanics of certain guns and buy ones that interest me. It's a great hobby because not only do I get to tinker as much as I want with various gats, but I get to field what I own in a competitive environment where, by and large, the people are pretty relaxed and just like f*cking around with toy guns in a forest somewhere.

It's a lot more apparent when there's someone who's spent a lot of money on their plate carrier, trousers etc. if they start to take things too seriously, but I'm sure there are others who don't put nearly as much time into their clothing who are also arseholes.

So yeh, I basically detest camouflage or spending any sizeable amount on anything but guns but equally I completely except that it enhances the experience for a lot of people.

Personally I can see both sides of it.

I'm not a "good kit" guy. I run in a cheap pair of DPMs and the cheapest LBV I could find. The only kit I really spend out on is eye/face pro and boots.

Personally, I don't think this makes me better or worse than anyone else.

I have a hell of a time playing regardless.

To be fair, I'm probably not all that good from a sports side of it. I've gone away from days where I've been shot more times than I've fired, or only got a couple of good hits. But it's the fun side of it.

However; I do also see the appeal of Mil/Film/Game-Sim.

Recently I've been replaying Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and it's really making me think about a GR Loadout. Not at all because I think it would make me a better player, but for my personal satisfaction.

As much as we always tell newbies there is no best gun - it's personal preference.

The same goes for kit - there's no "best way" to dress up, just go for what you like the look of.

Tbh, if money was no option, i would easily spend out for some Gucci Kit. Just to make myself feel a little more tacticool and a little more "emmersed" when I play.

But I think the playing side of it is the most important. It is, after all, a game (sport).

Well, I bought camo clothing because the mass produced nature of it simply made it cheaper to get fit for purpose gear in camo rather than the solid colours I would have preferred - and I don't use 2nd hand clothes.

I think camo clothing improves airsoft for everyone. Just look at battlefield, the camo stuff is utterly meaningless because you as a player can tweak the settings to reduce the texture resolution of player skins, and have fully control over contrast/colour/brightness and how visible movement is. It's fairly meaningless there, but in that game it improves the environment and immersion even if it does not actually do anything.

I never did drama at school, and playing airsoft has made me wonder if I was missing a trick. Dress up is fun, and airsoft is the first environment i've encountered, that I wanted to be in, that no one judged the appearance of others.

Sure there's lots of judging composition, but not appearance.

Tbh, if money was no option, i would easily spend out for some Gucci Kit. Just to make myself feel a little more tacticool and a little more "emmersed" when I play.

I definitely wouldn't wear camo if money was no problem.

• Supporters

Nothing against those that go in for collecting all the gear best of luck to them.

Just seems like a lot of skirmishes have become a runway more than a game zone.

It goes for guns as much as clothing.

Just wondering how many people think that the actual playing seems to become secondary to a lot of people and what sort of player are you personally.

Before any milsim players comment I am just talking about airsoft skirmishing not milsim because gear in that is integral.

• Root Admin

I 'unno. I get the feeling that for certain people their way of showing off is the kit they have (the skill being in getting together stuff that looks good and compliments whatever else you're wearing) whereas some people like to show off from having a cooler gun than everyone else (either by upgrading it as such or just buying something rare or expensive). Either way, we all know there's a small part of us that likes to look the part in some way and not look completely new to airsoft.

For last year playing has been secondary to me because I've just not been able to get to more than 3 games so it basically boiled down to me getting my airsoft fill from fiddling with stuff - that to me is part of the hobby, just in the same way that I'm sure others scour the internet and shops for something that might look good when they wear it.

I think we all play and get enjoyment from different aspects, I don't think it matters a bit what others enjoy as long as they are enjoying themselves.

• Supporters

I can't say I've ever seen anyone flaunting their kit outside of someone asking about it first. I'm normally looking at different ways people have set stuff up as I am always open to new ways to carry mags etc.

I dunno though, the things I like most about Airsoft are playing Airsoft and talking about Airsoft.

• Root Admin

I think we all play and get enjoyment from different aspects, I don't think it matters a bit what others enjoy as long as they are enjoying themselves.

Exactly. Adding the caveat 'it's not having a negative impact on anyone else's experience' and that's what it's about. If you're having fun and it's not at the cost of anyone else's fun then you should be welcome to do it until the cows come home.

That said though, I'm not sure if that's the point of this thread. I think it's more about how people genuinely feel. I know I have never felt compelled to spend much on clothing in airsoft and find it amusing when people do (just as I'm sure some people do about those who spend more on their toy guns). I do kinda think it's dumb that a lot of people put so much effort into their clothes when they're running a CM-16, but again I'm never going to do anything about that because it's their choice.

That said though, I'm not sure if we're debating that in this thread. I think it's more about how people genuinely feel. I know I have never felt compelled to spend much on clothing in airsoft and find it amusing when people do (just as I'm sure some people do about those who spend more on their toy guns).

Currently i've spent more on safety equipment than I have on any other part of airsoft. Is that peculiar? :)

EDIT:

If I count magazine and guns together, this is ever so slightly incorrect (+/- £50).

Edited by Sacarathe

I have unfortunately found that some of the Gucci kit I have purchased is not always as good as the cheaper stuff..... it just looks nicer and doesn't fall apart so fast.

• Supporters

Airsoft has been a fashion parade for YEARS, this isn't a new thing at all.

Totally agree but it is getting worse.

Think people are missing the point though.

There is no issue with having nice stuff the issue is too many players who put that before playing the game.

Nothing wrong with having all the gear and being crap but trying. (Most of us)

Nothing wrong with having all the gear and not having much time to play (proffrink)

There is something wrong with buying all the gear and turning up to a skirmish and not making the effort to play properly for your team.

Thats my point to many fashionistas and not enough players and it is definitely getting worse.

I had a game a couple of months ago that Jedi was at and our team was awful because they didnt try, but put lots of effort into posing in the safe zone. Too many games lately where you get a high percentage of people that dont seem to really want to play.

I love dressing up! I go the whole hog when i wear the gf's clothes,bra, thong the lot even heels i think it makes me look great especialy with a decent set of heels on! I mean who doesnt like dressing up right??

• Moderators

haha! ^^^^^

ive only played 4 games now but I can see some of what you mean from my very new experience, there are a few at UA that were dressed up as if assaulting a foreign country where as at Tudders recently, it was more relaxed and people worked hard.

1st game at UA, some guy turned up in a nice Q7, got out dressed in mtp, kids as well, then got out the kit and guns on a nice table.....it was like watching part of 24 and the CTU truck,

on clothing though, the trouser I wear at a game I do wear generally when out and about so I do make use of them when I buy a pair :), combats are great when with the kids, pockets very useful!

to be honest though, similar used to happen back in the days when I played basketball....guys dressing up as NBA all stars but couldn't dribble out their mouths let alone on court!

On a seriouse note, i wear a ubacs n combats as they are really bloody comfy tbh, especially combats. And a plate carrier juts carries all my stuff. I use army surplus for the clothes though as i dont see a point in spending much on clothes i will maybe tear or get mud stains on etc. Plus more money for the more important bits

I am a bit of both player. sometimes I can't be arsed with a loadout so just chuck on jeans and and t-shirt/jumper but then other days I do try and co-ordinate my gear and clothing or go all out with my circa 2000 SAS assault kit, I enjoy the game as much whatever I'm wearing and I always laugh at the people who run around head to toe in gucci kit screaming orders left right and chelsea as if winning is all that matters, I just try and enjoy the day out and most of the time I can say I do. The only thing I will always spend money on is boots but everything else I will always pace myself when buying and try not to go over the top, I'm not made of money (:

• Moderators

game....short and simple.....gun can wait a few more weeks!

need to get as many in as I can with other restrictions

• Root Admin

Nobody has really answered yet.

What do you enjoy most gear or playing?

Simple question if you could buy a new gun this week or play a game what would it be?

Sure I have, but clarified by saying my opinion is just an opinion. I think gear is stupid a lot of the time - I'd rather play. The two aren't mutually exclusive though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.