S10 Respirator/Gas Mask advice

Alex34

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always liked the look of the S10 respirator but thought it was impractical for airsoft. I'm putting together another loadout and think the S10 would complement it.

I have never tried one on nor know anyone who uses one for airsoft and would like to hear some first hand experiences.

My questions would be is it sweaty and do the lenses fog easily? Can I run it without a filter box and is it possible to drill small breathing holes in the front? Also, what is the field of vision like? (I currently use Bolle X1000 goggles)

*I already know about the need for ballistic lense replacements.

Thanks in advance

• Head Moderator

They are hot and sweaty to wear and will not fully seal with a beard but I never experienced problems with one fogging up, even during strenuous exercise, due to the design. You can remove the canister, or even the inside of the canister to allow more air without the filter hindering it. The built-in drinking straw is also a handy feature. Field of vision will be reduced compared to the Bolle goggles, less peripheral view and aiming takes some practice and getting used to. You can get an insert for presciption lens, I had a pair in mine and meant that it was easier to see the targets and hit them.

I have not used one for airsoft only real world. Not sure that I would want to play in one for long but for short periods of time it could work. It would look more authentic than other masks.

Yup could insert a fan in the filter to aid fogging and help cool your face. As said wearing it won't be a pleasant experience but if after a certain look then go for it. The lenses are not designed for impacts though so would need replacing with either a mesh or polycarbonate

Thanks Jedi! It would be soley for looks but comfort would be more important to me. Still undecided.

@Zak Da Mack, really good idea. It's worth looking into... may try it as a project.

• Supporters

Having sat in a hot room with an S10 on for several hours (not doing anything strenuous) I can confirm you will sweat a lot and they get extremely uncomfortable.

That said, they're designed in such a way that the lenses don't fog easily and removing the insides of the filters is very easy. Unlike airsoft 'gas masks' you won't need a fan to keep the lenses clear, just keep breathing. You WILL need to replace the lenses though, the ones that come fitted to an S10 are very brittle, I've broken one by dropping the mask from waist height.

Off topic a bit here. It goes to show that the s10 was make by the lowest bidder with how brittle the lenses are, it's not an old design but yet they didn't incorporate them. I had trust in this mask when in service and last thing on want while wearing it in a gas environment is for a bit of shrapnel or a fall or what ever to hit a lense and cracked or smash it thus breaking the air seal. Don't get me started on the gsr that's even worse build quality can see glue round the edges of the lense on them.

• Supporters

what's the point putting ballistic lenses in a mask made of rubber? if the shrapnel hits hard enough to crack a lens it'll also hit hard enough to tear your suit and/or break the rubber on the mask.

Same reason the GSR doesn't have a ballistic lens, if you're getting hit by shrapnel your suit will be damaged and you WILL be exposed to whatever chemical agent is out there... having a bulletproof face won't help!

what's the point putting ballistic lenses in a mask made of rubber? if the shrapnel hits hard enough to crack a lens it'll also hit hard enough to tear your suit and/or break the rubber on the mask.

Same reason the GSR doesn't have a ballistic lens, if you're getting hit by shrapnel your suit will be damaged and you WILL be exposed to whatever chemical agent is out there... having a bulletproof face won't help!

I thought that. Just myths me why the mod issue ballistic spec Goggles and glasses and skimp on the respirator

Fond memories having to do PT with them on. Most work i ever put mine through was CS gas, nothing too bad at all but hurts without the S10 on though, felt like someone just reached down your throat and ripped your lungs out while pouring chilli sauce in your eyes. Happy days.

• Supporters

I thought that. Just myths me why the mod issue ballistic spec Goggles and glasses and skimp on the respirator

because lots of guys were coming back from afghanistan with eye injuries and a £10 set of glasses could massively reduce the chances of that happening! If the lenses /rubber on your respirator break you're going to be blind from the blister agent or dead from the nerve agent anyway.

PT in a gasmask sucks, PT in a gasmask with full NBC kit on sucks more.

But you know what really sucks? When you go into a hut where they have let off cs gas, they ask you a heap of questions

about yourself so you have no choice but to suck it in and then you go to put your mask on as per the drill.
But your best mate has tightened the straps unbeknownst to you and you can't get the bloody thing on.

So you to struggle to get it on and get absolutely smashed.
Still not as bad as the kid in our battalion who drove home in the same uniform he got gassed in with the windows down :D:D:D

Passed him on the highway and he was doing the f'en chicken dance.

I hated NBC drills, spent 3 days non stop in the bloody thing, the top brass doing the exercise said wind conditions had changed. It was the middle of bloody summer so alot of guys went down with heat stroke

Took me a week to air out my NBC suit

Never dealt with that side of it, but when my brother came home from NBC Training he was really nice to me; he sat on my chest and smothered me with his CS Covered Smock.

From what I remember (apart from trying to cough up my own lungs), it wasn't pleasant. Feel you you guys who actually had to go through it properly :-(

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.