M4 purchase.. But which one?

DamoCarlisle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to get a M4 variant of some sort but in a massive dilemma on which is best...

I like the look of the Krytac CRB but the crappy grip and plastic flash hider putting me off.

G&P M4's I like the look of but unsure how the internals are??

Lastly I like the PTS RM4 scout but again no idea how good they are.

Looking at £400 max for gun and I've read the different threads on here.

M4's are VERY customisable. So, start with a base model. Classic M4A1 RIS is a brilliant starter. It gives you the option of adding on little bits (torches/'nade launchers) to your hearts content.

Once you've got a few games under your belt you'll start to find what you actually need/want. From there, you can swap out pretty much every part of it (internally and externally) to get the look and the performance you want.

Never had one myself, but I've heard good things about G&P as a whole.

Decent base model will prob only cost around £200ish. Save a couple of hundred quid on the basic model and put that towards upgrades as and when they're needed.

IMHO, if you buy a top-notch model that does everything straight away, you'll still want to customise and upgrade it anyway.

Really? I bought an ICS M4 at 200 quid, I have used it, and I'm not going to upgrade it (internally), I have out an optic on it, but, I'd call that an accessory. Unless you want to have slightly better accuracy, from maybe a better hop unit. But say you bought a 340 FPS gun, with what ever range, if you wanted to upgrade range through the FPS, you might aswell not bother, as you risk breaking that 350 FPS limit most sites have. (Of course some sites will vary, but it's generally around 350)

If I was going to upgrade my M4, it would probably be DIY stuff. Teflon taping, air seal etc. I wouldn't spend money on upgrades for an AEG that is pretty decent (200 pound ish) just because if it plays well in game, and is fairly accurate, i wouldn't spend money, as I'd find there's no need, when I was having fun skirmishing.

I bought a 200 pound gun, I will not be upgrading it. However, my VSR sniper, I will be upgrading that..

It's pretty much preference.

Maybe upgrade was the wrong word...accessories is better.

Was going more along the lines of a base model, rather than one with "different" externals (MOE/Honey-Badger etc variants).

I kept my TM M4 stock for a long time, only parts I ever looked into were external to make it a bit more aestheticly pleasing (to me).

Nothing wrong at all with stock guns. In my experience they can be brilliant pieces of tech.

But I've always liked to keep options open for swapping around the looks and accessories for it.

I have a PTS, real great gun.

Strong recoil, bolt release function works perfectly, mags are resonably priced and rock solid construction.

Easily as good as my TM SOPMOD.

Mine was doing 380fps out the box though so get the shop to check yours before shipping.

It's pretty much preference.

Maybe upgrade was the wrong word...accessories is better.

Was going more along the lines of a base model, rather than one with "different" externals (MOE/Honey-Badger etc variants).

I kept my TM M4 stock for a long time, only parts I ever looked into were external to make it a bit more aestheticly pleasing (to me).

Nothing wrong at all with stock guns. In my experience they can be brilliant pieces of tech.

But I've always liked to keep options open for swapping around the looks and accessories for it.

Yeah, I'd say accessorising is the better word. I agree with you, adding an optic for example would potentially help. Or adding a foregrip could make the gun look cool.

I have 2 Krytacs and an RM4, you'll enjoy either. The flash hider can be changed very easily, as can the pistol grip so don't be put off by them. The RM4 is an awesome gun too.

• Supporters

I'm looking to get a M4 variant of some sort but in a massive dilemma on which is best...

I like the look of the Krytac CRB but the crappy grip and plastic flash hider putting me off.

G&P M4's I like the look of but unsure how the internals are??

Lastly I like the PTS RM4 scout but again no idea how good they are.

The Krytac having very impressive internals and the inclusion of a MOSFET is a huge plus to my mind. Trigger response is going to be by far the best of the bunch; if you're going to play any semi-only sites it's a game changer IMO. The grip and muzzle device can be changed very easily indeed.

G&P internals.. very 'meh', average to say the least. I've not heard of them doing any real updates in years so the Krytac spanks their ass in that regard, especially the actual gear set, which have been notoriously bad in G&Ps for a long time. Even if they have improved somewhat, still not up to the Krytac standard. Personally I think pretty much all G&P current offerings look puke-tastic in terms of all the completely fake looking white trademarks they plaster everywhere on their guns. Some folks like that look though, so each to their own there.

The RM4 line obviously adds recoil and stop-on-empty/hit bolt release when reloading if you use the proprietary magazines; so it's rather a different beast to the Krytac. If you want that 'experience' of the shooting aspect and more realistic looks, get the KWA (PTS don't make them, they just provide the accessories). More limiting in terms of battery storage and stocks/handguards you can fit than a regular AEG since the buffer tube is full of the recoil mechanism of course.

• Supporters

What's 'better'? You define that for yourself based on what you want out of the gun.

The G&Gs are good. Personally I'd have the Krytac or KWA, but if you prefer the price or looks or something else on the G&G, buy it from a decent retailer like Pro Airsoft Supplies or Airsoft Zone, you certainly won't go wrong.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.