Removing Foam from Full Seal Eye Protection

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Leading from http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28853-revision-bullet-ant-goggles/

I've seen advice online and occasionally here, and on you tube to remove the foam on full seal eye protection. I don't know how it is on others, but on my Smith Optics, that would create openings laterally larger than 6mm - I already have some difficulty believing the foam would stop a BB.

Does removing foam generally compromise the full seal, and people are just ignoring it?

The best eye pro i've seen was with the lens raised off the frame by 2-3mm suspended on 5-6 pillars such that it had completely free airflow.

• Root Admin

As said above: It's not the foam you're thinking of - it's small bits generally located above and below the eye and supported by plastic. Removing them doesn't affect the 'BB stopping' abilities of the goggles and is there just to keep dirt out (at the cost of slightly restricted airflow).

• Head Moderator

I have only removed the foam that covers the air vents at the top and bottom of my goggles, basically unplugging the small gaps between the plastic bars. It may allow some snow or dust into the goggles but as I mainly play inside not really a problem.

What I am referring to is clearly visible in photos. I'm not worried about the foam breaking to a BB, the angles are rather specific, i've taken steps to prevent entry from below. I was hoping to ventilate them further though by adding 3mm holes in the foam where the plastic supports do not leave gaps greater than 4mm.

I'm not worried about the foam breaking to a BB, the angles are rather specific, i've taken steps to prevent entry from below.

that foam wouldn't stop a BB anyway, try shooting it and see!

Ah, but that's not what I said! :P Nevertheless, I don't doubt what you've said.

The main reason for fogging is restricted airflow even if you still the holes through you will still get fogging though not as much if you truly want to get rid of fogging get mesh goggles.

I dont think its a problem at all. If there is a gap big enough on full seal eye pro that a bb can fit through, and its covered in foam, i wouldnt class them as full seal and would choose glasses over them anyway.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.