Necessary kit

Reb3l

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The OP was a little negative, but now he knows, he knows:- People do, in fact, spend money.

I wonder what the fellows over at LARP would make of the notion of omnidirectional gear snobbery in airsoft.

At my first airsoft skirmish I noticed a lot of players wearing, what they called, necessary impression kits with the full gear, bags, helmets, ear defenders ,go pros and exotic camos. As a noob to this sport I wondered if this was normal to spend hundreds of pounds on kit then sell it and get new even more expensive gear. Though I think this isn't normal I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts on what gear is deemed as necessary(excluding Rifle and face protection) and what is just plain showing off

Also if you have any experience of meeting these players please note Below.

Stuff you need for a normal skirmish;

Eye protection

Gun

Boots

Everything beyond that is either dressing up or personal preference, e.g. I prefer mid cap magazines over hi caps.

Just out of interest and a noob question, what is the reason why you prefer mid cap to high cap mags? Having never fired a airsoft gun but coming from a background

with extensive firearms experience and soldiering I always generally find the more rounds the better. I was a machine gunner in my section for quite a while so I am obviously biased.

• Supporters

Just out of interest and a noob question, what is the reason why you prefer mid cap to high cap mags? Having never fired a airsoft gun but coming from a background

with extensive firearms experience and soldiering I always generally find the more rounds the better. I was a machine gunner in my section for quite a while so I am obviously biased.

mid caps don't need winding

Well there are some smaller mags that are still a wind-up type

but in general terms think mid caps holding up to say 120-140 are non-wind type

(I call the others small capacity high caps)

low caps - non wind-up with 30bb's for real mil sims

mid caps - think they start at about 80 and go up to 120-140

(cyma do make a 190rd metal M4 mid cap but not stocked everywhere)

the above are filled with speed-loaders

in use - you should get all or nearly all bb's feeding nigh on no problem - but shorter supply so make shots count

plus learn to count of course....

Hi caps - usually 300 to 450-ish

can start as low as 190-ish and suppose you could go nutz up to 1k or even 5k box mag

they need winding up by hand after say 15 shots aprox - varies on how good mag is

silly box mag have the options of electric winding blah blah blah

if mag doesn't have enough tension the bb's don't feed so you dry fire jack $hit

(or if you try to insert an M4 in completely upside down and wonder why you ain't hitting anything)

depends on you and the actual game you are playing

2 x 300 mags actually means about 500 or a bit less coz they never feed last 50 or so in mag

but if you got pouches then 5 x 120 midcaps will probably be same if not better

higher speed guns need very very good hi caps - most are not great at silly speeds

or most half decent midcaps feed very well in silly speed guns - obviously not for spray n pray players

plus the maraca effect on shakey shakey hi cap mags when running

tbh - it don't matter unless the serious mil-sim site states low/mid caps only

messing about use either

suppose the mid cap offers ease of use to the more experienced player making their shots count

but wtf - use what works for you - most have both types/spares that floats their own boats

I'm a mid-capper instead of a hi-capper, just because of the noise.

Where a hi-cap is basically a chamber with a feed tube, there is room for movement inside the mag.

As you run around your entire vest goes SSSH-SSSH-SSSSH-SSSSH with every step, and it only gets worse as you play because mags get emptier.

Drives me mad!!!!

• Supporters

I dont have a choice but to use low caps or high caps in my sig.

Tend to carry 4/5 low caps plus a speedloader with a 120 rnds in it and a single high cap thats fully wound and filled to the brim in a pouch. Only use the high cap if necessary towards the end of the game because once you fire a few rounds it starts to rattle.

Adds a little realism to a game with reloading, as alot of guns are expensive with boltstop functions and all sorts, might as well use them with a mag that has a chance of emptying!

More likely to miss out on the fun part of running out of ammo in a firefight with high caps as well haha

• Head Moderator

I have 4 x mid cap magazines which hold 82 BB each, and 1 x high cap which holds about 360 BB. I also carry a speed loader and bag of loose BBs to refill the loader. All depends on the game which I use. There is fun in using mid caps and then having to reload them. Bolt stop helps there. however, for very light load just using the high cap and remembering to keep winding it.

I know that you most likely know this by now.. But eyepro is the most important thing. You only have 2 eyes, if you lose them, you won't be popping into ASDA to buy a new pair.. For clothing - I used to want to get proper military clothing, vests, helmets etc etc - but, all I run is these Camo coloured trousers, in the colour of dark greens and dark browns. Some hiking boots, some t shirt, and a green fleece from an outdoors shop. You can carry mags in trouser pockets, but some prefer not, so they invest into a vest with pouches.

For mags, I'm a scum bag and I use a high cap (they came with the gun)

On a (so very) serious note: you'll be wanting to carry atleast 5 high caps, as when you see the enemy, you'll be wanting to let rip all 450 BBS in your magazine, as this is quite clearly the only way to get your target. (I forgot, when you've shot 40 BBs or so you'll have to rewind your mag, so, well, you may look like a plonker, deciding to be like " rahhhh " then "oh sh*t, wait" it doesn't matter though, just rewind that sucker, and then let rip again. Spraying all your BBs across the map. And also, if you want this to work, you'll have to buy a vest with 10 pouches, if you own an M4 you'll be wanting AK mags in your pouches too, just to look like a l33t 0p3rat0r. And one of those legitimate gun sound emitters are quite obviously necessary for airsoft, as airsoft isn't a game, it's war right? Oh, also, a reason to have high-caps is because, they make a noise that will just annoy everyone, but also gives away your position, it may give away your position, but it results in more enemies coming closer to you, therefore, you get more airsoft kills. ugh.

On an actual note, people will say that you have to wear vests to be cool/good/ a l33t 0p3rat0r etc, well they're wrong. Don't listen to them, it's more of a "I like that thing, I'll buy it" not a "this will let me murk everyone on the field", vests and accessories (I like to call them) is your choice, it's not a requirement.

Just enjoy the game and have fun, that's the best way to play airsoft.

Recently went on a £260 spending spree most of which was unnecessary but I wanted

Belt rig and pouches - Why did i get this I when I already have a chest rig which i easily capable of carrying everything I want? Well it looks cooler :P and I find my chest rig to be awkward getting things from so a belt rig in my head will "help" me.

New eyepro - Probably the thing I needed most as my face mask is too big and doesn't create a full seal around my face (to the point were I could fit to fingers into the gaps but the other reason is they look cooler than my newbie mask and have bigger holes so wont have the effect of my facemask which makes everything about 3x as dark (when where I play runs night games so it's already dark) once again to "help" me.

Pistol bag - Well I'd look a bit stupid carrying two pistols in a rifle bag wouldn't I :lol:

Gas - Well gas guns run off gas but I didn't really need it because i already have a full can of gas

So didn't need anything I just wanted it to attempt to make me better (still shite though :blink: ...)

• Moderators

As above! :)

and i find my helikon sfu next trousers great for carrying spare/empty mags in after a reload (saves on a dump pouch :), cargo pockets have elastic in to keep them secure.

where what your happy and comfy in, but what you want/afford :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.