Necessary kit

Reb3l

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

At my first airsoft skirmish I noticed a lot of players wearing, what they called, necessary impression kits with the full gear, bags, helmets, ear defenders ,go pros and exotic camos. As a noob to this sport I wondered if this was normal to spend hundreds of pounds on kit then sell it and get new even more expensive gear. Though I think this isn't normal I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts on what gear is deemed as necessary(excluding Rifle and face protection) and what is just plain showing off

Also if you have any experience of meeting these players please note Below.

Opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Basically what trig said. Nothing aside from a gun and eye pro is needed. Dont even need spare mags on you at a skirmish, as a high cap flash mag will do per game.

Some good form fitting gloves are helpful, as bare flesh hurts when its hit in the cold, and you dont want big clumsy gloves. Aside from that, cargos and a jumper. My first skirmish was jeans, t shirt, hoodie, gloves and beanie. I had a rental mask and gun, and i was fine. People who say that stuff is needed are wrong. Its fun, but not needed.

• Head Moderator

I think that it is normal to spend hundreds on kit, although often it is not necessary or essential kit. Just something that caught your eye or thought would be useful until you find something newer/better/suitable. That is the danger of looking at airsoft websites/eBay and browsing, it is so tempting to buy stuff. Kit is also purchased once you realise that something would improve/suit your game, or because you play at different venues. I must admit that I have a drawer full of random bits and pieces I collected and no longer need or have replaced with something better.

I have a cheap black Viper assault vest, one of the first items I bought, and while it is not tacticool or Gucci it actually does the job very well of holding mags, torch, batteries, spare BBs, speed loader, suppressor, or whatever you want to carry securely in the built in pouches and is my go to item for down in UCAP Bunker. Outside I like my chest rig. Alternately, I also just use my jacket and trouser pockets for simplicity. All very much personal preference and budget.

We all have our own idea of what is necessary. For me it is gloves and Fast helmet (stops painful head shots in CQB and hitting head on things), sling and torch.

Edit: Remember that most players are older and have disposable income to spend on their kit, so it not necessarily "showing off" just what they can afford.

I would say gloves are needed

You can abuse me I don't mind but after being hit in the hand 3 times in a game I was all buggered for a while after spent 25 on armoured gloves and all the hand hits in the world don't hurt now

But agree with others eye pro is a must the rest can be sorted rentals etc

• Supporters

I would say gloves are needed

You can abuse me I don't mind but after being hit in the hand 3 times in a game I was all buggered for a while after spent 25 on armoured gloves and all the hand hits in the world don't hurt now

I wear gloves but dont think for one second they stop your hands getting hurt just lesten the frequency.

Got shot in the little finger about 6 months ago and it broke, I was wearing m-pacts. The padding only works when it gets hit but sods law says more often than not it hits the tip or side of your finger.

I wear gloves but dont think for one second they stop your hands getting hurt just lesten the frequency.

Got shot in the little finger about 6 months ago and it broke, I was wearing m-pacts. The padding only works when it gets hit but sods law says more often than not it hits the tip or side of your finger.

Totally agree

But I'm all for lessening the frequency, I accept nothing is total protection but they have stopped a few hits that would have bloody hurt

It's not different to wearing armour in paintball; combat gear has pockets where you need it, combat style armour has the same.

The peculiarity, is stuff that you cannot define a function or purpose with using.

I've been playing for over 6 months now, and I've still not bought a torch, because I haven't a use for one - its the way it goes, buy stuff YOU think is useful.

I've found a platecarrier very useful at avoiding full auto friendly fire - as for carrying stuff, I found a battlebelt worked much better, and I prefer to run the carrier naked.

I strongly agree with Jedi above about gloves, helmet, sling. Helmets are excellent, particularly if you have any disability affecting your balance.

• Supporters

Pretty much every time I get hit in the hands it is on the thinnest part of the gloves, like where they flex around the knuckles or the fingertips.

I'd still recommend gloves to everyone regardless of what else they wear though. You soon notice how easy it is to cut your hands without them after you are used to wearing gloves, especially in woodland.

Kit I would say is necessary is decent footwear, gloves and something to hold your mags(plus a gun and eyepro if you really want to state the obvious). Everything else is really preference, I more or less always wear a hat as I hate getting shot in the top of the head.

• Supporters

In order of most important to least:

Eye Protection (and lower face if required/wanted)

Gun

Spare magazine x300 round capacity (3x midcaps or 1 hicap)

*Large gap where things become subjective after this*

Sight/aiming device

More spare mags

Dump Pouch

Speedloader full of BBs/BB bottle

Sidearm

Holster

Mags for sidearm

Somewhere to put the mags beyond your pocket

*another large gap*

Anything in multicam or with 'admin', 'utility' or 'large' in the name

Have to say iv found all aiming devices on airsoft guns and pistols pointless unless its a sniper. Bit of wind and it goes nowhere near the aim point. Just extra weight on a gun. Iron sights are just as usefull/unusefull but cost nothing.

No. Its no more sensible than it is daft. Alot of people do spend alot on their kit, but you dont have to. The vills run very high for genuine or 'real steel' stuff. But for airsoft, reproduction stuff can be cheap as chips and will do for skirmishing. If you venture into milsim games and stuff then the costs do go up because of certain requirments.

Personal choice to be fair. Iv spent alot with uk tactical on warrior gearbut its like jedi said some of us are older and have more disposable income. Its nice to induldge a hobby if its one of the few things you get time for. Nothing much is needed but alot can be wanted. You done need an lcd 3d smart tv but plenty have them. Dont need a bmw when a coursa will do the same job but a bmw does it better and more with more comfort. Is the same for airsoft as anything in life

Pretty much every time I get hit in the hands it is on the thinnest part of the gloves, like where they flex around the knuckles or the fingertips.

Maybe your gloves are just so damn good that you don't realise your being shot elsewhere ;-)

Depending on the game (CQB/Urban) a good Bash Hat is a good idea. I've seen several instances of guys being out of the game because they banged their head on windows or ledges in the heat of the moment.

Not necessarily something Tacticool - just something to lessen the Bonk!

I've heard some sites do require it to play!?

Everything else (fancy webbing etc) is just preference and fun. A good tacvest is a good idea. If your doing long games in summer, a Camel-Back is great too.

When I first started playing I always wanted the kit that 'looked right'. Now, I go for what's comfortable and carries enough mags to cope with my terrible aim :-)

DPMs - nice and cheap

Viper LA Tac Vest - cheap and 12x m4 mags 😃

Decent gloves

Full Face Pro

Bash Hat in CQB

And a sling

That said, whenever I see the guys and teams with the proper kit; who clearly put a lot of time, effort and money in - I do get a little jealous.

My fiancé would kill me if I spend the money on kit to be one if the cool kids who do it properly. ;-)

Ok thanks but what about people who spend hundreds on kit is that a sensible thing to do

Golf clubs, cars, fish, in the end it doesn't matter. If you're asking what you should do? Do whatever makes you happy.

No. Its no more sensible than it is daft. A lot of people do spend a lot on their kit, but you dont have to.

True. As example: I've never bought anything (over £20) I couldn't justify a practical use for in airsoft, but boy have I bought a lot of stuff I did not need.

The turning moment was having to spend £400 on boots to correct a disability, and another £100 on helmet/eyepro/mask. After that, a lot of stuff seemed cheaper than it actually was.

Those are the best boots I ever did wear, even if the initial product - magnum panther 8s only cost £40. I had never previously owned supportive boots, nor been able to wear wellingtons for that matter, so as a consequence of playing airsoft and paying that, I also got to play with mud this year. /end story.

• Head Moderator

Each to their own. Is it sensible for over 18s to buy a two tone instead of getting their defence in 2 months and then buying a RIF?

Everyone has their own limit or rationale for spending on kit. Even though it is only airsoft, I still tend to spend more money on quality kit that I can use in 'the real world' hence my grey kit (although £125 for a pair of Arc'teryx trousers is really ridiculous considering my 5.11 Stryke trousers are better at £58, and a pair of Craghoppers is only £25).

When I started there were players in full MTP, plate carrier, dump pouch, rifle, sidearm, and proper gun bag/cases, etc, and looking ally, but no better than me when it came to playing. I was just in an old pair of Craghopper trousers, hoody and Gortex jacket and cheap assault vest which in the dark worked just as well. I was not intimidated by it, they had spent money on their load-out which is fine and I was new. The only difference is that they knew the site and had played longer. I have not come across anyone who has issues with what others wear, however, I am thick skinned so would not notice it. Likewise, not heard anyone talk down about players not wearing MTP or similar load-outs.

• Supporters

When I started there were players in full MTP, plate carrier, dump pouch, rifle, sidearm, and proper gun bag/cases, etc, and looking ally, but no better than me when it came to playing.

This is it exactly. If it makes you happy buying lots of gucci kit go for it but it wont make you a better player.

In my experience the better airsoft players have got past all that and just go for functional as thats the most important thing.

I have bought expensive gear and cheap gear but always played the same. Favourite bit of kit is a cheap viper tac vest, it has plenty of room for anything I need and if I damage it I dont care I just buy a new one.

• Supporters

The cost debate never ends, but it varies depending on where you ask the question.

If you go to DevTSix you'll find a fair few guys who've spent enough on just their plate carrier alone for someone to outside themselves with a full loadout of kit that's perfectly decent for airsoft (gun, mags, camo, rig, boots, eye pro, the whole lot), and some of the 'hardcore' impressionist types are snobby as f*** and will call you cheap for buying HSGI or Tactical Tailor. This place can be the opposite end of the spectrum, similar story with some facebook groups.

Making negative comments about people who spent a lot more on their kit than you just as bad as the snobs who crap on others for having the budget gear; you have no clue about what somebody else's salary/expendable income level is or what their personal priorities are. You're being a massive c*** either way and both types are awful.

• Supporters

The cost debate never ends, but it varies depending on where you ask the question.

If you go to DevTSix you'll find a fair few guys who've spent enough on just their plate carrier alone for someone to outside themselves with a full loadout of kit that's perfectly decent for airsoft (gun, mags, camo, rig, boots, eye pro, the whole lot), and some of the 'hardcore' impressionist types are snobby as f*** and will call you cheap for buying HSGI or Tactical Tailor. This place can be the opposite end of the spectrum, similar story with some facebook groups.

Making negative comments about people who spent a lot more on their kit than you just as bad as the snobs who crap on others for having the budget gear; you have no clue about what somebody else's salary/expendable income level is or what their personal priorities are. You're being a massive c*** either way and both types are awful.

Dont think anybody has made any negative comments. Pretty much everyone has said the same personal choice and go with what makes you happy.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.