Key mod rail system

adamraywilson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have just got my UKARA all sorted and have decided to get G&G Combat Machine AEG CM16 SR-L with ETU http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=4397{1}1{2}4{4}8{3}6

And i am planning on ordering a tac light to go with it and was just wonder do i need to buy anything else to attach it or would it come supplied.

Thanks

Adam

post-12000-0-62651100-1451238075_thumb.png

It is whatever you decide to put on it mate, personal preference as they say plus it depends on what venue you play wether it be indoor or outdoor, light or dark etc

It is whatever you decide to put on it mate, personal preference as they say plus it depends on what venue you play wether it be indoor or outdoor, light or dark etc

I know that im going to get one its just im not sure if i need to buy anything to mount it to this type of rail

• Moderators

what tac-light you getting?, some come with a method of attaching, mine, I had to buy the fixing to fit to a rail for the torch to then fit in....all same make, got a pressure pad as well for it but not used it yet.

There are other options out there ive noticed for fixing the torch to the rail.....I just cant post links :(, forum/pc don't like each other!

let me know how you get on with this G&G as its one on my list, but the shorter version :)

ZeroOne advertise it as being a 20mm Mount....so I'd *assume* that any RIS Mounted Kit should work.

It would be worthwhile calling ZeroOne and asking them for sure, their tech-team are pretty damn good.

Google seems to have some very vague answers on this - or I'm just searching the wrong thing.

By the looks of it, on the website if your undermounting or side mounting you'll need to buy keymod rail sections, if you haven't already, unless the torch is keymod, also from the description, it looks like that gun doesnt come with extra keymod sections, don't know if you know as much, but i do see no one else has mentioned that part

• Supporters

those rails you linked are out of stock matey.

there not stupid are they, buy the new key mod rail sytem, then buy some rails you can actually attach things to! lol

They probably will restock soon if not

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=4967

They are trying to copy real steel guns which have lots of keymod accessories now.

Great if you want a £500 flashlight not great if you want a cheap replica. There are more slowly coming out and if you shop around you can find keymod accessories just not as common yet.

• Supporters

If whatever light you end up buying can't mount to the 12 o/clock rail, I'd recommend sticking to the KeyMod sections by the same brand as your gun. Some airsoft companies KeyMod is cut to the same spec as the real thing, but a lot aren't and it's often impossible to tell before actually purchasing the product in question. Matching up the rail pieces to the gun in terms of manufacturer is the safest bet.

I'm yet to see a light that had a body which facilitated direct mounting to KeyMod slots personally, the closest things I've found are certain mounts which replace the normal picatinny mounts on SureFire scout lights (and presumably the clones). If your gun does have KeyMod up front but isn't supplied with any rail bits that is certainly a slight downer value wise, however the same gun with a metal forend that had picatinny on all 4 sides would probably have cost quite a lot more in the first place before you even get to the fact it weighs more and to most people isn't as ergonomic (in terms of shape/size and the cheese grater effect).

• Supporters

If whatever light you end up buying can't mount to the 12 o/clock rail, I'd recommend sticking to the KeyMod sections by the same brand as your gun. Some airsoft companies KeyMod is cut to the same spec as the real thing, but a lot aren't and it's often impossible to tell before actually purchasing the product in question. Matching up the rail pieces to the gun in terms of manufacturer is the safest bet.

I'm yet to see a light that had a body which facilitated direct mounting to KeyMod slots personally, the closest things I've found are certain mounts which replace the normal picatinny mounts on SureFire scout lights (and presumably the clones). If your gun does have KeyMod up front but isn't supplied with any rail bits that is certainly a slight downer value wise, however the same gun with a metal forend that had picatinny on all 4 sides would probably have cost quite a lot more in the first place before you even get to the fact it weighs more and to most people isn't as ergonomic (in terms of shape/size and the cheese grater effect).

There was a couple I came across a while ago but cant seem to find them now, might not have been enough demand for them to become a constant production item. You can get a quite a few mounts suitable for surefire scout lights but be careful if getting one for a clone because some of the clones are terrible.

You can get quite a lot of foregrips that attach direct and a few other accessories.

Several companies claim to be working on direct mount keymod accessories as its becoming the industry standard.

• Supporters

I just don't get this with some companies......

NB: I AM NOT SAYING GET THIS CHEAPO OVER A G&G !!!!

(it is still a really cheap M4 starter way behind the SR range as said previously)

But WTF don't companies put ONE rail in there FFS !!!!

C'mon - a friggin rail to get ya going, drop the small pack of bb's or something ???

the £70 crappy cheapo brittle as f*ck cm515 comes with 3 plastic brittle as f*ck rails

(2 x short & 1 slightly longer one underneath)

so why can't others just put in one friggin' rail to get ya going

plus you would have a keymod rail to measure/compare against

clever marketing tactic - modify rail so that others need modding to fit

Oh better buy the G&G mounts then as they fit perfectly.....

pic of $hitty cm515 - any G&G peeps out there take note....

CM515_2_4.JPG

• Supporters

There was a couple I came across a while ago but cant seem to find them now, might not have been enough demand for them to become a constant production item. You can get a quite a few mounts suitable for surefire scout lights but be careful if getting one for a clone because some of the clones are terrible.

You can get quite a lot of foregrips that attach direct and a few other accessories.

Several companies claim to be working on direct mount keymod accessories as its becoming the industry standard.

Is that addressed to me or a continuation of what I was saying? With the quote in there I can't really tell.

But WTF don't companies put ONE rail in there FFS !!!!

C'mon - a friggin rail to get ya going, drop the small pack of bb's or something ???

the £70 crappy cheapo brittle as f*ck cm515 comes with 3 plastic brittle as f*ck rails

(2 x short & 1 slightly longer one underneath)

so why can't others just put in one friggin' rail to get ya going

plus you would have a keymod rail to measure/compare against

clever marketing tactic - modify rail so that others need modding to fit

Oh better buy the G&G mounts then as they fit perfectly.....

It's not necessarily as bad as all that. There are only 2 types of KeyMod hole, the real spec and the airsoft one; I suppose given airsoft manufacturing tolerances (lol) the airsoft ones could potentially vary somewhat which would necessitate matching manufacturers forends to accessories, but a lot of other parts on airsoft M4s are interchangeable between brands so I'd wager they're probably all close enough in the vast majority of cases. The problem is more that the information hasn't gotten out there in terms of how to tell the difference between the real and airsoft spec, so people aren't aware which brand uses which in order to then inform others.

AFAIK, Krytac and PTS use the real spec on their handguards whereas G&G and Madbull do not. The other 2 'big names' producing a large quantity of KeyMod forends right now would be G&P and ICS, but I've never got a look at any of the new range of guns from either to be able to check. Most likely though they're also using the more simplistic airsoft spec cuts.

• Supporters

The holes/slots "seem" to be spaced about 20mm I think when I did a quick measure

all the same - they "could" chuck in 1 rail as a sweetener - hey its xmas

Don't get me wrong, don't disagree with that at all. A plastic rail piece wouldn't cost much at all, they could probably raise the price of the guns by £1.50 and easily cover it.

The spacing isn't actually the variable (certainly shouldn't be anyway) it's the shape of each hole. On firearm-spec handguards they have to cut chamfers on to the inside face of each slot, which is obviously a bit tricky and pricey to do since you have to have a machine that can cut at very funny angles/from the inside of a narrow tube. A lot of airsoft manufacturers just just the holes straight from the outsides, so they look the same externally without closer inspection but they don't provide the same functionality or fitment. I've not have the chance to try an RS accessory on an airsoft handguard yet unfortunately. Should probably start just bringing one with me to games, I'm sure I'd spot someone with a G&G or ICS and then I could say for sure what's compatible with what.

• Supporters

not got the SR or FFR new range of G&G's

the SR and perhaps the FFR is metal keymod

so presume it would be nice if a small single metal rail could/should be provided

The GC16 30th edition comes with a few small mini rails to mount onto the front wired handguard

35701-2.jpg?1414580757

so I would of thought what with the cheapo cm515 coming with cheapo rails pre-fitted

I thought some makes including G&G SR Range would of just chucked one in

but obviously I was wrong to assume that

• Supporters

The spacing isn't actually the variable (certainly shouldn't be anyway) it's the shape of each hole. On firearm-spec handguards they have to cut chamfers on to the inside face of each slot, which is obviously a bit tricky and pricey to do since you have to have a machine that can cut at very funny angles/from the inside of a narrow tube.

Thats actually an easy process on a cnc milling machine. There are loads of back chamfering tool on the market. Keymod rails should be relatively cheap to make especially in bulk. As long as its aluminium you could get the basic shape extruded and then just finish it on a cnc machine. Once everything is set up with a rotational jig shouldn't take that long. Probably still a bit much for cheap airsoft guns but certainly possible on some of the higher priced guns.

• Supporters

Can't say I'm a machine expert, so thanks for the input. All I can say for sure is that M-LOK is cheaper to mill than KeyMod and a lot of airsoft companies don't put in the necessary chamfers in to their KeyMod because they're trying to keep prices as rock bottom as they physically can. It's all relative of course, as you say it may not be that expensive in terms of tooling or machine time, but it is enough of an extra cost that G&G ét al want to avoid it. Probably more about time than tool cost if anything, G&G especially must be pumping out guns at a crazy rate seeing as they're supplying every country in the world by the looks of things.

• Supporters

Just sticking to the standard picatinny rail is easier. Lots of accessories and with a foregrip quite comfortable.

If aint broke dont fix.

As for G&G they are just mass production cheap sh*te. Worst quality materials of any of the big manufacturers.

Edit; M-lok is definitely better and looks nicer. Keymod always makes me think of supermarket racking.

Wish some airsoft companies would start adopting M-LOK, getting accessories is proving to be a real PITA in the UK, already bought a load from the US, but would rather avoid that.

• Moderators

my ICS AEG came with 3 rails for the keymod rails :)....thought it was standard?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.