Probably the most ridiculous idea you will ever hear about airsoft

Infanteer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This question is more for my own curiosity than to be taken seriously.

One day if I have some time I may look at building one but it will depend on how keen I am at the time which right now is not very high.

However I was wondering if anyone has ever built or modified a drone to carry and fire an air soft weapon?

Would sites allow this?

Obviously there would be considerations that would have to be taken into account, for example the weight of a weapon but

off the top of my head I do think it would be feasible. The operator would be able to fly the drone high and using a camera on the drone

locate the enemy. They would then be able to engage or fire trace within the general vicinity to indicate to the team mates where the

enemy are hiding.

This would have to be for outdoor sites in my opinion although I have never been to a site much less an indoor one so it could possibly adapt for some?

A drone would be a formidable weapon, utilising a high capacity magazine it would It think be almost unstoppable on a battle field.

Do you think airsoft weapons would be capable of shooting it down or damaging the camera?
I could put guards in place to deflect the rounds.

Depending on the weight and the ability of the drone to carry it I would even look at deploying grenades or smoke etc from the drone.

Like I said this is more a conceptual idea than anything to be taken seriously, what are your thoughts?

• Supporters

Hmm, flying platform, not the best idea. First off, you would be looking at like, 6 minutes of battery maybe. Then, I know for sure that a drone can be take down by an airsoft gun; one to the prop will ok it.

• Supporters

Observation is best, an overwatch of enemies approaching or attempting a flank.

From a modest safe distance perhaps still within sniping range but passing on numbers direction etc...

Unsure how players would feel about this in normal reg/mil sim games....

But suppose it could be fun to incorporate into a terminator skynet type game.

But shooting down some higher end drones can be costly with possible go-pro damage.

Idea can be built upon but tbh I just go for pew peeew pew. Airsoft I'd just my escape from being

Dumbass Daft Vader in real life

I play airsoft when I man up this $hit got real well as real as it can be with a toy gun

At home I play COD blops 2 when I feel like I want play silly far fetched crap

May the farce be with us

• Head Moderator

There was a market research question in relation to drones in airsoft back in October http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28663-market-resaerch-in-relation-to-education-drones-in-airsoft/ Which received a mixed reaction to the idea. Personally, a stupid idea.

• Supporters

the size of the drone required would be pretty large, a good few Kg, I personally wouldn't want that flying round over my head... one prop failure or a motor brush dying etc and you've got something really heavy dropping from height onto people.

That and if it can shoot at people, people will want to shoot back and there's no way you could make it rugged enough to stand up to that.

the size of the drone required would be pretty large, a good few Kg, I personally wouldn't want that flying round over my head... one prop failure or a motor brush dying etc and you've got something really heavy dropping from height onto people.

That and if it can shoot at people, people will want to shoot back and there's no way you could make it rugged enough to stand up to that.

A valid point, my thought was to maybe use a conventional rc helicopter but they aren't easy to fly and would be even easier to bring down than a drone imo.

Back to the drawing board lol.

Personally it can be done but at the same time don't we play to shoot and get shot at. I don't think players should be using something which takes them out of the game and doing something 3rd party (as in use a drone) because its not exactly what the sport is about and plus video games do that better. If you want to fly something around on a screen to shoot at people just go play some FPS game

Fair enough but the op would still be on the field, probably a REMF though lol.

Op would also be vulnerable unless he had a protection party back with him.

• Head Moderator

Didn't we do this discussion like 3 weeks ago?

Two months back, as per my link to it above.

• Supporters

Haha, it's fine. There are pages of duplicate threads out there. From what I've looked at (as this is something I've been interested in for awhile) airborne platforms are a big nono. Take any airsoft gun with a high cap, add on the weight of a drone, then hit yourself on the head with it at terminal velocity... Not pretty to think about...

Now, I go to FIT in Florida, and myself and a few others have been thinking about making an airsoft version of the TALON/SWORDS bots for terminator style games. We've already sorted sensors, capabilities, different models, etc. just not sure if we are actually gonna do it; a few of the sites around me have expressed interest, so we might just do so in the upcoming years. But a flying bot would be too difficult for a site to allow, I feel.

I think most had the idea at some point. Protecting the camera would be easy, protecting the rest of the drone - not so much. It would probably only be able to carry something very light and stripped, and hardly something with a highcap. Also it's my opinion that if you use it for anything else than filming (intel or shooting), you should expect it to be attacked and be able to afford losing it. Also consider the noise they are making. All in all, probably not a good idea.

If all above was fixed.. you got a bulletproof and completely silent flyer able to shoot 1000 plastic balls per minute... where's the challenge in that??

Haha, it's fine. There are pages of duplicate threads out there. From what I've looked at (as this is something I've been interested in for awhile) airborne platforms are a big nono. Take any airsoft gun with a high cap, add on the weight of a drone, then hit yourself on the head with it at terminal velocity... Not pretty to think about...

Now, I go to FIT in Florida, and myself and a few others have been thinking about making an airsoft version of the TALON/SWORDS bots for terminator style games. We've already sorted sensors, capabilities, different models, etc. just not sure if we are actually gonna do it; a few of the sites around me have expressed interest, so we might just do so in the upcoming years. But a flying bot would be too difficult for a site to allow, I feel.

Man, that is epic, looks like that bit of kit out of Law abiding citizen.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.