Potential nooby from Essex

P_Siddy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive actually considered airsofting twice before and im thinking this might be third time lucky.

1st time around i was 16 and a paintball marshall, played a little bit here and there, fancied trying something different in airsoft but couldnt really afford it.

Second time around i had the money to splash on a new hobby as football became less of my life due to a new job where i worked shifts and wanted a sport/hobby to do in the summer in between seasons. I was torn between airsoft and buying myself an air rifle for a relaxing summery shoot, get a bit of a tan and shred some paper. This was all well and good but the friend i was going with stopped going, i bought a house and i am getting married next year so i stopped going.

Now, i am sat here with a screwed up sleep pattern and a broken leg and the soon to be misses has banned me from football, which in can sort of understand, afterall thats two nasty injuries ive picked up in 5 years now, and it wouldnt be very good if i couldnt walk down the aisle now would it.

So now i really do need a new hobby and this time around im thinking airsoft is going to be the one that sticks. My boss, sorry - wife to be, has already agreed that i will be less likely to break my leg playing airsoft in comparison so thats barrier number one down. I can sell my air rifle and bits for around £600, so thats barrier number two. Just got to wait for my leg to heal up good and set the wheels in motion.

I have a few questions i would like answering, but i will find a more appropriate place to post them.

Ive responded to your MP5 question on the other thread, but welcome.

There is an active airsoft scene in Essex. There is a good retailer in Romford and a number of good sites around.

You can still break a leg or twist an ankle in airsoft but unless you go mad its less likely and its a good way of getting moderate exercise without gyms.

I tend to play over the border at Tuddenham these days which is a 50 minute drive for me but thats another story.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :) Airsoft is less of a contact hobby/sport but the odd injury does occur. I wear a Fast helmet in case I forget/cannot see what is around me, saving a few painful bumps.

• Supporters

Just to add....

find local site, hire gun & play a few times first

this will allow to get defense/ukara etc....

also it will help to test the water

then if you can see yourself getting hooked

THEN flogg ya air-rifle setup.....

Now you may wanna go down the hpa route being paintball/air rifle player

by that time you know if ya gonna go nutz then you will have defense blah blah blah

to get yourself setup with either aeg or save more for hpa mofo

normally I wouldn't even suggest hpa - but your history you might be wishing to consider it at some point

welcome to forum - best of luck getting married

and finally when the boss says " FINE " - yeah that means anything but

(it is not fine - but she hasn't thought of way to make you pay - yet)

Thanks for the replies all,

Im well aware of the defence requirement etc and will be hiring out a few different ones before but im quite set on a police style loadout.

I have been looking at HPA and it hasnt really interested me. I like the realism of changing mags etc. I was tempted to go GBB as i already have a GBB Glock 19 from pre ukara days. But the mags cost too much and the constant cost of gas is just too much for me at the moment.

We have a counter terror milsim in March and loadouts are more SWAT/Police/Counter Terror than military MTP and this has yielded a resurgence in player interest with sub machine guns such as MP5, MP7, UMP, Scorpion, Uzi's etc.

AEGs with mid or low caps can satisfy the mag change itch. Our game only allows 60 bb rounds to be used in a mag to simulate real steel changes.

• Supporters

gas - if ya use it enough then propane/colemans gas with a drop of silicone

cost of glock mags - well you can get WE G18 type for £20 or less

aeg mags aprox £10 to £20 depending on type/make/gun - can pay a lot more

(check out mag costs & availability on any gun you are thinking of buying)

hpa/gas/electric - there are pro's n cons for all of them tbh

be it initial outlay, running costs, reliability, cold weather etc.....

Yeah its more the MP5 and other SMG/Assault Rifles that the cost put me off. £40 per mag and god knows how much gas you get through on a primary weapon. I will likely use my Glock if i get into it. Though its like 5 years old and hasnt been used in at least 2 years. Also doesnt help that i havent seen it since i moved house lol

• 2 weeks later...

Sub machine guns are great but will you be playing mainly CQB because sub machine guns are mostly next to useless in outdoor seeking a so it might be worth thinking about a carbine loadout or just something a bit bigger than a MP5 if you go playing outdoor

Sub machine guns are great but will you be playing mainly CQB because sub machine guns are mostly next to useless in outdoor seeking a so it might be worth thinking about a carbine loadout or just something a bit bigger than a MP5 if you go playing outdoor

Nope, subs are perfectly useful outdoor. Dont assume bigger means longer range as its simply not true.

To be honest from my paintball days im more of a close with and destroy kinda guy, as opposed to the sit back and pick people off.

Plus the choice of MP5 was more because its iconic and compared to alot of stuff ive seen, relatively cheap. Im already looking at potential future purchases like an L85, HK33 or G36. But we'll see about that when the time comes.

On that note, I've never been hit with a BB. What's it like compared to a paintball? I haven't really looked at any face masks yet, but I don't want to get all steamy like I used too paintballing. What are the best to get?

On that note, I've never been hit with a BB. What's it like compared to a paintball? I haven't really looked at any face masks yet, but I don't want to get all steamy like I used too paintballing. What are the best to get?

With my experience of paintball I'd say airsoft hurts more (although where I play is very up close and personal cqb) but the pain of paintball lasts longer. Getting hit with a 330 fps rifle feels like getting pinched most of the time :)

It hurts a lot less than a broken leg 😃

Face Masks are preference. Do you want full face or just eye pro? (Personally, is recommend Full Face)

Some sites require FFP, but most just "advise" it, so if you get shot in the mouth it's your own fault for smiling :-)

Mesh is good to stop fogging, but it can be like playing in sunglasses. It takes a little getting used to.

There's a few fan assisted goggles to help de-fog.

Well i was looking at doing like a mesh face and then potentially mesh goggles as well. Is it just dark where your eye parralax doesnt see the mesh but obviously doesnt get as much light in or can you see the mesh?

If your going mesh buy a lower half face mask and heroshark googels that will stop bbs and if you want a helmet to stop head or accidental knocks to the head on doors branches etc

Yeah that's what im looking at. Seen a few half face masks that are decent. I just don't know whether a mesh goggle or standard goggle would be better. I Suppose i'll have to go look.

Mesh don't fog up but will take time to adjust to them standard googels have better visibility but fog up really easily unless you spend lots on turbofans and even then they fog up. I prefer mesh but buy heroshark as the holes are larger and have better visabilty than cheap ones.

Never had a problem with seeing the mesh myself. I've always worn these;

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=287_438&products_id=2441

Heard some brilliant things about HereShark (slightly larger holes in the mesh, so meant to be better to see through). Never used them myself.

Hire a gun, wear some ankle supported boots, some cargo trousers,t-shirt and a hoodie, full face mask, some BBs you're ready to play, gogogo :)

Yeah ive already planned my first rented day airsofting but hopemto start getting some kit together by the time i go a second time.

Would protective gear like below be suitable.

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=COBFSPSI

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=TMC0569

And what makes some these so pricey?

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=BOLLE800

Simply the better ventilation it claims to have?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.