Pacifist parents....

Reb3l

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After Christmas, which is when I get my money, I'm going to get kitted out for airsoft. I know what I want to get and where from but my parents hate airsoft (for obvious reasons) and I love it. I've been once under the pretence of visiting a friends house, bug my parents found out. Now my parents will not yeild the dont mind me getting the gear but they will not let me buy the gun. I have an older brother whose 18, moved out and recently picked up the sport which is how he gets around it but what can I do?

opinions ans suggestions appreciated.

Keep trying on your parents. After a year and a half my mum is almost ready to speak about airsoft! Personally, I'd go down the brother route then probably feel guilty about lying hugely to parents etc and bury it XD.

Simple speak to them. Explain to them that although this is a simulation of military conflict, at the heart of it, its still just a game which has a great and friendly social circle.

Don't try to change their minds but try and get them to look at it in a different way, for instance its just a game and no one actually gets hurt, its not in anyway violent there are strict rules on any kind of physical or verbal confrontation. try to make clear to them that they are focusing on the negative connotations of what the hobby looks like and show them what it actually is.

Airsoft is much less violent than football, rugby, squash, or even hockey, All of which I've played and ended up with worse bruises & witnessed much more aggression in these sports, which is usually allowed to continue during play. We often act nervous about airsoft because of the gun thing but lets be honest at the end of the day, its basically a high end toy but this is not seen because people automatically think Airsoft is based on violence when it really isn't.

For instance my other half hates anything to do with the military and despises guns of any kind, but she see's that Airsoft is a fun pass time and totally gets the social aspect is great fun. She understands that the people involved are big kids who just want to have a day out having a laugh....nothing more. Because she understands the hobby as a silly day out playing army in the woods, she accepts it and has even fired my rifs. Just try to show your parents that its just a daft game where people get out, make new friends and get some exercise which is a lot more healthy than some of the stuff you could be getting up to sat in your room on the internet.

I for instance hate real guns, the idea of gun ownership freaks me out, but like I often say, "I'm an Airsoft nut, not a gun nut" and try to show them that although Airsoft looks violent, you cant judge anything by looks alone, that's a flawed way of looking at anything.

I hope this helps mate

I had the same issue when I first got into it.

For my parents, the issue wasn't necessarily the 'violence' of it; but more along the "we don't want guns in the house".

I came to an agreement with them that it would only be the one RIF (...that bit didn't last long though) and it would always be stored away safely.

I think a lot of their fear was that I'd get a taste for the action and join the army. But I explained to them that the one thing that Airsoft taught me is that I'd be USELESS in the Army! 😃

If the problem is the action/violence side of it; why why not get your parents to head to your local site?

Speaking to the site owners and regulars might ease them a little. They'll realise that we are just profes.......big kids....who are playing a game.

Don't sweat it, they'll hate you anyway once you discover booze.

And women who takes your innocence :)

Pinko liberal nonsense. What if we had this attitude when Hitler invaded Pearl Harbour eh eh...where would we be now I ask!!??

watch "Kevin and Perry go large" then adapt that attitude until they say yes. If you are too young to watch Kevin and Perry then start wearing your mums cloths when your parents are about and your dad will poop bricks and probably buy you an AEG and possibly make you get a tattoo.

If all this fails convince your dad to have a father/son day at your local site and then be amazed how quickly your house fills up with AEG's and surplus army gear.

• Supporters

I'm in the cadets corps so that pretty much don't do anything with me

So shooting actual guns, that are potentially actually dangerous, is ok.. just not bb slingers?

I've no doubt you've highlighted this point already, but I find that pretty bemusing.

So shooting actual guns, that are potentially actually dangerous, is ok.. just not bb slingers?

I've no doubt you've highlighted this point already, but I find that pretty bemusing.

they pretty much hate anything to do with war and they don't take me to cadets and know little about it.

• Supporters

they pretty much hate anything to do with war and they don't take me to cadets and know little about it.

My parents were similar. I wasn't allowed any sort of toy guns as a kid, not allowed to play FPS games and they hated it when I joined up. Now I play pretty much every FPS game that comes out, own a ton of grown-up toy guns and I spend 8-5 every weekday in an armoury full of 1000+ actual guns.

Not sure presenting that as an argument would help you any, but if worst comes to worst it's only a waiting game mate. They can't stop you forever and honestly if you do end up just having to play the long game as it were, you'll be far better informed when it comes to which RIF to actually buy; which is a big step ahead of most, You can't buy your own until you're 18 anyway end of the day, that's just the law and every player has to stick to it, no 2 ways about that part.

Actual skirmishing is 0% 'to do with war' anyway, if it was even the tiniest bit similar, people wouldn't do it. You can pick out the supposed most 'hardcore' milsim event in the land and it's still just camping in camo with some bbwrz mixed in occasionally, more expensive gear on display and fireworks going off.

I hope this was a joke.

Obviously not a National Lampoon Animal House fan then.....

18 secs in....

• Supporters

Obviously not a National Lampoon Animal House fan then.....

18 secs in....

Dude, he isn't old enough to know about national lampoon...

Ah cultural frames of reference down the ages.... probably thinks cinema was invented with Saving Private Ryan.....

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.