WE SMG-8(MP7)

Airsoftsamplays

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about getting a WE SMG-8. I want to take a step into the world of GBB but at a low price point, and this seems to be an affordable place to start. Wanting to get some views on it, what range and accuracy if like, whether it's actually worth the money and time. This would be in addition to running a KJW gas G32, which i love and would like to move toward gas primary weapons.

If anyone is wondering, I play at Ground Zero in Ringwood, near bournemouth, it is an out door site that has a fair bit of cqb involved as well as some mid to long range. Main questions. thisuld be in addition to running a KJW gas G32, which i love and would like to move toward gas primary weapons.

For people who run a gas gun:

Is gas ok to run in winter(on a primary) and what gas is best for cold weather and which for warmer summer weather?

Is there any benefits to running with a gas gun over AEG?

What maintaining is needed for a gas gun such as this?

For those who have a WE SMG-8:

How do you find the range and accuracy at short to mid ranges?

Are magazines gas efficient and are they interchangeable with other brands?

What is the construction like?

That is all, open to questions for all, if it helps to answer the above:) I'm not looking to buy atm so please no offers. Thanks all!!!

• Root Admin

Hey, welcome to the forums. I can answer some of the generic 'is gas a good idea' questions but I've never owned a WE SMG-8 so can't help there I'm afraid.

Is it ok to run gas in the winter as primary?

In cold weather it can depend on many things really: The gun, gas and obviously temperature (as well as how much you shoot) all come into play, so giving a solid answer is hard. Some non-blowback systems are reliable in the winter, but most (the SMG-8 included) have some sort of blow back and therefore consume a lot more gas per shot - this exacerbates issues in the winter. What you're mostly battling with is how the propane in green gas (i.e. propane mixed with some lubricants and has the smelly additive removed) contracts when cold. In the winter, colder gas doesn't get as much mileage. This can set it at a disadvantage to AEGs.

When any gas decompresses (in this case when it leaves the magazine, enters the expansion chamber/nozzle in your gun and then is blown out the barrel) it gets colder. This basic principle is how fridges work - refrigerant is expanded and contracted around the back of the fridge and draws heat away from the inside. In an airsoft gun, we tend to call this 'cooldown', and it's a real problem when you fire in quick succession (like in full auto) as the magazine rapidly cools and - as described before - the gas contracts, giving you less 'power'. In the winter, this is even worse as the magazine takes longer to warm up again.

Mitigating both of these issues is really a two-step approach: A lot of people warm the magazines and/or try to minimise cooldown. Using handwarmers, only firing in semi-auto etc. The second thing is just efficiency of the gun in question and the gas that you're using (will come onto that later). There are certain aftermarket upgrades that claim to make guns less prone to cooldown. Tighter bore barrels, good hop seals etc. help to maximise the energy transfer of the gas to the BB without it venting away. Some of these work, some of them don't. Again, I can't comment on what actually works in the SMG-8, though some slightly modifications like a tight hop up bucking seal always helps.

All in all though, it depends on the gun and gas. If this is your first time, I'd say avoid GBBs for winter though the SMG-8 may be very efficient like some of the newer designs and could be a viable option.

Benefits to running over an AEG?

Noise, recoil and trigger response. Noise sounds good and beefy on some GBBs and the recoil is fun. The trigger response is what I like most though as it's instantaneous on GBBs.

What maintaining is needed for a gas gun such as this?

Just lube in the right places. In fact, being mechanical they're easier than most AEGs as disassembling them is generally straightforward, though again I can't speak to the SMG-8. All you need is some silicone (I use high viscosity for places of prolonged contact like metal-to-metal and a low viscosity/spray can of silicone for the seals). Maintaining o-rings in your mags is the hardest bit about GBBs, though this isn't an issue so long as you leave some gas in them after every game and give it the occasional squirt of silicone when required. Most leaks are fixed by a disassembly, lube and reassembly.

Gas

Don't use duster as it's not powerful enough - green gas or propane (propane is just green gas with the smelly additive and without silicone, but it's a lot cheaper). Brand-wise, the strongest I've found is Guarder Black/powerful gas. That stuff is ridiculously powerful though but should fare well in the winter. Just don't use it in the summer.

Ok that has been very helpful! Thank you very much. I know what you mean about the gas cooling down as it happens in my side arm. I agree the response I nice. As for gas guns would you say sticking in semi is a good idea, and also would you overall recommend gas over AEG. I forgot to mention I have a G&G UMG which I can use during colder weather. I am kinda just looking at this as a second gun for some more fun and to add a new dynamic to my play style and just seems to me that running a gas gun adds a different element to playing airsoft.

• Root Admin

I don't own any AEGs anymore because I love GBBs and HPA so much, but AEGs are more reliable in some cases (in that they don't have as many variables). If you've been airsofting a while and think you want to take the plunge then I'd say give it a go; you won't know if it's for you until you've tried. So yes, I would recommend gas over AEGs because they're more interesting and fun to use to me, but I would never recommend them to a beginner because they can burn a hole in your wallet and aren't as reliable shooters a lot of the time.

At the end of the day, I feel this is one of the more subjective areas of airsoft so treat my opinion as just that - an opinion.

All I can say is buy cheap buy twice.

The SMG-8 is not that great from my limited experience. It's cheap for a reason!

Save and go for the best you can afford. If it the MP7 you want the TM is expensive but hands down beats all other MP7s on the market.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.