What Camo gear is everyone wearing

Black_rat

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know when I last played what I would call a woodland tournament (paintball) tigerstripe and Rhodesian stripe were all the rage as they worked quite well and looked quite good.

Does everyone go for the more traditional british army DPM, or is there something better out there to wear.

Sadly the designed effectiveness of military camouflage is often* not gained at airsoft engagement distances, it is my understand that it is more important to block features of your human profile that the brain can identify subconsciously.

That said, we each play airsoft "our way", and what anyone chooses to wear is completely irrelevant. I chose to wear camo because I found that the imitation military clothing manufactures made camo with more availability than solid colours - black, green, tan, grey etc.

Thus, I bought imitation camo because it was cheaper than solid colours - at least in clothing designed for use with military firearms.

I chose AOR2 because it was not a UK pattern and it was not specific to a single unit/division of any armed service - unlike AOR1 oddly.

I also like the way that it looks.

Imo if you are wearing at least three environment appropriate colours (not black) from the typical ranges you don't even need camo.

*If certain sites are to be believed if you wear it correctly, it can work at airsoft engagement distances.

Since I normally play at a woodland site, I wear a full DPM uniform and it works pretty well.

That said, if you're at The Mall at 9:30 pm in low light, it really doesn't matter what you wear (as I discovered last Saturday...). They'll see your silhouette, and then light you up!

• Supporters

Sadly the designed effectiveness of military camouflage is often* not gained at airsoft engagement distances, it is my understand that it is more important to block features of your human profile that the brain can identify subconsciously.

That said, we each play airsoft "our way", and what anyone chooses to wear is completely irrelevant. I chose to wear camo because I found that the imitation military clothing manufactures made camo with more availability than solid colours - black, green, tan, grey etc.

Thus, I bought imitation camo because it was cheaper than solid colours - at least in clothing designed for use with military firearms.

I chose AOR2 because it was not a UK pattern and it was not specific to a single unit/division of any armed service - unlike AOR1 oddly.

I also like the way that it looks.

Imo if you are wearing at least three environment appropriate colours (not black) from the typical ranges you don't even need camo.

*If certain sites are to be believed if you wear it correctly, it can work at airsoft engagement distances.

AOR2 is the official barracks uniform of US Navy NSW and US Navy Security personnel... no one else uses it.

Sorry.

It is an awesome pattern though, really effective and pretty unusual.

AOR2 is the official barracks uniform of US Navy NSW and US Navy Security personnel... no one else uses it.

Sorry.

It is an awesome pattern though, really effective and pretty unusual.

What are you sorry for?

EDIT: Ah, I see why you've said that now: you think you're correcting me. There is no need to apologise for that. However, as you're telling me something I already researched, i'll take the apology for that.

Perhaps you should read the whole sentence instead of ignoring what I said about AOR1.

• Head Moderator

Being a Cold War warrior, then it has to be the classic British DPM for a woodland game which generally works very well. Especially when I am laying down still and getting my breath back :)

I am now using grey clothing for the indoor urban environment, it does appear to be particularly effective in low light areas. I do need to get a grey cover for my black Fast helmet but will not be spraying my guns with grey paint. Have yet to try it skirmishing outdoors.

Multicam black currently

But looking at a grey loadout and a ranger green one

I have an olive drab PC that I use with everything too

• Supporters

What ever comfy clothes I want to chuck on that day. Being as my main site is a shopping mall camo would class as chavsuit bottoms, hoodie and a peaked cap and I am not wearing that.

On the odd occasion I play outdoors dont really see the point of camo at the average 20 to 50 metre range.

But then slow and sneaky is not something I have any talent for what so ever.

If you want to join the multitude down my way its multicam. Not the most effective woodland camo.

I on the other hand annoy the crap out of them by wearing a mishmash of stuff that does the best job.

I rock with olive green bottoms, pouches and a ATACs FG vest. The bottoms are Jack Pyke beaters trousers and are indestructible and comfy. I have a nice pair of Scarpa Ranger GTX boots that have stood the test of time. If I need a coat I have an olive green Karrimor SF Trojan jacket or a coyote Karrimor SF Trojan fleece. I do wear a multi cam head over and jungle hat as well and the ubiquitous green shamag to protect the neck. And if I need to disappear I use a realtree leafy poncho. Works a treat!

But to be honest if you stick to olives, beiges, light greys etc your pretty much set up. And its not often you stay still long enough anyway. Movement is the biggest giveaway when your hiding.

For darkness olives and greys are your friend. Helps you blend in by not casting a silhouette. Black and dark browns are not, for that reason.

CBH

I did rememebr one guy who went paintballing in a white coveralls, his explanation was they can see you when they start so why hide.

I do like on the odd occassion to be a sneaky sod, so I like a bit of camouflage or black flight suit.

I've always been a DPM player.

Nice and cheap to buy, fairly tough and quick drying.

If it's the actual *camo* side i needed - it was designed to be used in British woodland.

Even in CQB I wear DPM as I don't really mind it getting ruined.

However, I am thinking of mixing it up and going Russian. I love the Russian Camo gear 😃

• Supporters

I normally wear my Multicam Tropic stuff, if I'm doing CQB I might grab whatever dark blue or black top i've got kicking about. I quite like DPM too but I wouldn't want to go back to using trousers without kneepads and buying DPM trousers with kneepads is pretty far down the shopping list.

When i was still wearing camo, i used to wear Russian camos: Flora, KLMK and Partizan. Partizan was the best one i've ever worn. Very comfortable to wear, breathable, and very, very disruptive pattern. But i don't care for camo anymore. Now i'm wearing desert camo trousers or jeans, black t-shirt and CB gear. If You're not a camper, camo will very, very rarely help You, that's just my opinion.

Ps: there are two guys in Partizan camo on this photo:

post-12334-0-88295900-1450196691_thumb.jpg

• Head Moderator

Ps: there are two guys in Partizan camo on this photo:

Which goes to show how Shape, Silhouette, and Colour can still make a person in camouflage with gun stand out. The eye is drawn to the black gun in the foreground, even if camo pattern blends in with countryside.

Which goes to show how Shape, Silhouette, and Colour can still make a person in camouflage with gun stand out. The eye is drawn to the black gun in the foreground, even if camo pattern blends in with countryside.

Luckily i was the other guy. But yes, sometimes even small details like black gun, shoes, or not wearing gloves can ruin the whole camouflage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

me just camogrom trousers, (loving the pockets with mag fixing) coyote combat top and same colour rig, looks good when at the respawn point!

looking at ATACS AU and have a chest rig on order, just after a set of trousers now, prob helikon again like the rest of my gear and wear it with my current top....

as said, nothing really matters for us its just to look the part more than anything, and as I 'play' urban, anything will really go......

maybe pink one game for breastcancer support????

Five s's and an m on why you will be seen on the battlefield assuming you are already wearing appropriate camo:

Shine- ie sunlight bouncing off your watch face or metallic surfaces.

Spacing- A section/ squad evenly spaced 1.5 meters apart stands out like the dogs bollocks. If you look at a forest anything in nature is generally not uniform in its layout.

Shape- Ie a helmet, you can break up shape with material etc.

Silhouette- Already mentioned in this thread, means you stand out in front or on top of your natural surroundings. Examples include being on a knoll (hill) standing.

Shadow- Pretty obvious but also pretty easy to forget.

Movement- Probably the biggest one, movement is imo the easiest one to see. It is important to stay still when conducting ambushes etc.

As a general rule:

A target moving directly towards you is harder to see but easier to hit.

A target moving across the front of you is easier to see but harder to hit.

When it comes to camo I plan to wear what I like as long as it is practical.
I am a big fan of Auscam DCPU but that is because I wore it during my service from environments including but not limited from the jungle to MOUT.

• Moderators

Pentcott Greenzone is what I use, cost a lot but it's pretty damn effective in woodland.

just had a look at that on M1st, looks pretty nice! :), yeah little more than i'd normally pay for trousers....luckily top out of stock!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.