Footwear??

Sam_G

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What do you fine people prefer.

Boots or shoes...

I love my lowa's but they are nearing the end of the line of comfort and I can't decide to go with boots or try out some shoes. By shoes I mean the walking trainers type that all the tacticool kids wear.

Short boots for me 6" normally, just got some of the new lowa GTX ones and they are lovely, shoes offer basically zero ankle support, if you've ever inverted an ankle, (I have! ) it fecking kills, for months!

• Supporters

Boots, got a pair of soloman 4D GTX I've used for about 4 years now.
I'd NEVER suggest trainer height boots unless an existing medical condition means you can have anything with ankle support.

If you want a specific loadout, you need boots to fit. If you just like playing with no fussing about, then get a decent pair of hiking boots

I don't go for impressions kit wise. Wear what I like the look of.

I was thinking along the lines of

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-mid-mens-walking-boots-182105?colcode=18210504

Don't fancy spending loads as I play once every few months due to work commitments.

I have some seal skin socks!

And I only play urban as im not a fan of woodland games so not overly fussed about wet weather.

I got lucky with my lowa's and got them for £15 brand new!

Boots every time for me for the ankle protection. Mud or even bb's on a concrete floor can really mess your week up if you get a bad sprain or worse, a broken ankle.

• Head Moderator

Playing indoor CQB I have used Nike all conditions gear trainers with cross country grip for their light weight and extra speed (so I can walk faster) but generally I wear boots for the ankle support. I have an old pair of Meindl ones but they need replacing as they were for desert environments; I like Salomon 3D and 4D or 5.11 XPRT boots but cannot justify the cost at the moment. Hopefully their will be a sale with good discount in the New Year.

• Supporters

I normally wear German Para boots, but then I mainly play woodland. I've got some 5.11 trainer type shoes that I wear casually but also in places like the Mall, nice and comfortable with good grip and ankle support. I don't think I would be too keen wearing expensive boots in woodland as I normally come out of games with big gouges in my boots.

I've got a pair of 5.11 Tactical Boots, that are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

After 3yrs, the zip on the side went, so I superglued it shut and have worn them for another 3yrs.

Keep them clean and (slightly) polished to keep the leather in tact; they'll last forever.

Seen me through all weather (sun, rain and snow) in CQB and woodland.

I'd never play in anything other than a decent set of boots, looking after your feet is just as important as your eyes.

After a stunning "John MacLaine" moment of sliding down a bank and over a sticky-outy-rock, followed by a trip to A&E with a VERY swollen and painful ankle - the Doctors assured me that, for the most part, the only reason I wasn't on crutches is because my boots took the brunt of the hit.

Lowa's for me, I wear them at work and for airsoft (not the same pair!6 just bought a pair off of eBay for £30 which were used as props in a film!

I grabbed some Goretex Merrell Allout Blaze 'trainers' from eBay for about half the RRP - well worth looking into - very comfortable, waterproof thus far and seem to be hard-wearing. They are a blue/grey though.

When it isn't wet, I wear Merrell Chameleon Wrap 'trainers' which are a lower cut but a better colour match for my loadout.

Probably heresy but I use my old timberlands

Really comfy good support and grip

I have 2 pairs of salomons, short for urban/indoor terrain and a taller pair for more uneven terrain.

I would be wary of Karrimor stuff with a low price at sports direct. They are actually owned by sports direct now. I'm not all the products are sh*t now, most of my outdoor gear was karrimor when I was younger so I have fond memories of it too, however, it wouldn't surprise me that they are producing lower quality products and enticing people into the chav haven with the established brand reputation.

Yes, Karrimor is just an intellectual property these days, same as Kangol, Sondico and Slazenger. It is how Ashley does things...buys the brand so it can be put on any old thing.

Am sure some items are still good...but I would expect to get what you pay for.

Yeah I know. But I can't warrant the cost of salomons as I play so little.

I may just buy some replacement inner soles for the lowa's.

• Moderators

I needed boots for my first game, got a pair of karrimor....well didn't wanna spend loads, still good today...3 games later! haha

looking though in the new year for more colour co-ordinated boots! :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.