Noob question: I cluelessly sprayed oil where i shouldnt have and...

kolbaser

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i sprayed some oil into the hop up slide and the feeding tube... Also cleaned the barrel but that wasn't dumb

Basicly now my hop up is not working...like at all. no spin on the BB's at all. DId i fuck something up really bad? or once the oil comes off it will start to work again?

P.S I sprayed a decent amount :mellow:

Please don't hate I was drunk and clueless :unsure:

• Supporters

Alas strip hop unit carefully, remove rubber bucking that is the problem

wash in warm very soapy washing up liquid - lots of suds

washing up liquid is a degreaser so will remove oily crap to a "squeaky clean" result

that is what you want to grip and apply spin to bb

youtube is your friend

hopefully bucking removes ok & no damage, minor smear of silicone OUTSIDE to assist in replacing bucking/barrel into hop

fingers crossed it should then perform as it should

failing that if rubber bucking gets damaged - order another one (or two)

always keep any oil/cleaning stuff away from hop unit - well you have discovered why this is so

best of luck

ps - don't worry many drunks mess with their toys and thinking it isn't loaded coz mag is out.....

blows the crap out of their 50" flat screen TV - now that is mega dumbass

a bb fired inside ya house goes EVERYWHERE - but often where it can do plenty of damage

eg: TV or worse your own eye

so your little mishap is nothing really - alcohol & airsoft don't mix well

(well alcohol wipes are good but other than that any other form of alcohol is not wise)

ps - by the sounds of it - chuck the hop unit in the soapy water too

but watch out for the tiny tiny little nub on the arm to bucking

you need that so don't lose it - very easily done

at a push a wd40 red straw or bic biro ink tube can be cut as a makeshift nub

pps - I'm sober & clueless

Alas strip hop unit carefully, remove rubber bucking that is the problem

wash in warm very soapy washing up liquid - lots of suds

washing up liquid is a degreaser so will remove oily crap to a "squeaky clean" result

that is what you want to grip and apply spin to bb

youtube is your friend

hopefully bucking removes ok & no damage, minor smear of silicone OUTSIDE to assist in replacing bucking/barrel into hop

fingers crossed it should then perform as it should

failing that if rubber bucking gets damaged - order another one (or two)

always keep any oil/cleaning stuff away from hop unit - well you have discovered why this is so

best of luck

ps - don't worry many drunks mess with their toys and thinking it isn't loaded coz mag is out.....

blows the crap out of their 50" flat screen TV - now that is mega dumbass

a bb fired inside ya house goes EVERYWHERE - but often where it can do plenty of damage

eg: TV or worse your own eye

so your little mishap is nothing really - alcohol & airsoft don't mix well

(well alcohol wipes are good but other than that any other form of alcohol is not wise)

Fuck me, do I have to take it apart or can it just dry up or maybe by firing some rounds through it?

• Supporters

f*ck me, do I have to take it apart or can it just dry up or maybe by firing some rounds through it?

well I suppose after 20,000 rounds it might wear off

at a push - take out the barrel and hop, dip the end into WARM SOAPY water as said

maybe a cotton bud or Q-tip to clean might get the worst of it off

but the oil may have got into the bucking lips as well as the window that presses down on bb

so you may have to strip it in the end

by all means dip the hop unit into soapy suds and should help to take the curse of it - nowt to lose

might get it worn off eventually but reckon it will take more than a bag of bb's

plus you said it wasn't just a tiny bit of oil so you need to remove that crap very well and get it clean squeaky and grippy once more

how fortunate or lucky you might be depends on the oil - wd40 might not be ultra ultra difficult to clean

if it was silicone oil though - yeah ya f*cked - best start stripping it down

If you really don't want to take stuff apart, you may get some results from cleaning with alcahol.

• Root Admin

I'd also agree with disassembling it and cleaning it properly (as well as the magazine). Soapy water is great, but in those hard-to-reach places you may have to settle for isopropyl 'rubbing' alcohol.

At least you've learnt not to do it next time.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.