Airsoft gun weights

FORSAKEN

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Steel for higher-end guns. Zinc alloy for lower end. Aluminium somewhere in between. That's the ones i know of

Monkey metal my mate reffered to it as. They claim aluminium, and that is the highest percentage, but then they top it up with odds and ends like brass, tin, iron or whatever. I imagine only the very high end weapons are actually proper metals if that makes sense.

• Root Admin

It's like Zvezda says: Zinc or cheaper aluminium alloys for most airsoft stuff. Expensive guns use many different aluminium alloys and high quality steel. You can buy decent aftermarket stuff, but zinc alloys are actually pretty heavy (usually heaver than the real stuff). Steel is where the real weight is at though.

For example, GBBR M4s weigh more than their real counterparts because the materials aren't as good. The opposite is true of most of the springer rifles, where real ones weigh significantly more in more cases.

The majority of manufacturers don't purposely 'weight' their guns though in airsoft. It's usually just a nice side effect of using cheaper materials.

• Supporters

You only get these 'weights' in reaaaally cheap plastic springers, I had some in my first ever spring gun back in the day and found some in the stock of a clone L96. It's essentially manufacturing slag I'd imagine, a mixture of many metals, unwanted impurities and other junk that's been cast in to lumps to give weight to the really feather light sub-£50 springers.

Most 'decent' metal airsoft guns are a very cheap aluminium/zinc alloy as mentioned; some use proper aluminium and steel for the receivers and barrels etc but that's a minority rather than the norm sadly. Not like it's even hard to make a gun with steel, JG and CYMA have done loads of them.

• 1 month later...

You only get these 'weights' in reaaaally cheap plastic springers, I had some in my first ever spring gun back in the day and found some in the stock of a clone L96. It's essentially manufacturing slag I'd imagine, a mixture of many metals, unwanted impurities and other junk that's been cast in to lumps to give weight to the really feather light sub-£50 springers.

Most 'decent' metal airsoft guns are a very cheap aluminium/zinc alloy as mentioned; some use proper aluminium and steel for the receivers and barrels etc but that's a minority rather than the norm sadly. Not like it's even hard to make a gun with steel, JG and CYMA have done loads of them.

Thanks, my main concern was it was made from lead

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.